Featured Videos 2News Tipline Traffic Tipline






Top Stories

(KUTV) Could Utah liquor stores stock cannabis oil in the near future?

Utah Republican Senator Steve Urquhart of St. George wants to help families get cannabis oil legally in the state. The legislature legalized the use of the oil this last year, but the oil is not sold in the state. Utah families must buy the oil across state lines and take the legal risk of transporting it, which could be a federal offense.

Cutler Henrie, an 8-year-old Layton boy is one of many children that would benefit by a move to sell the cannabis oil through state channels. Cutler is looking forward to the third grade, but his parents worry about him around the clock.

"He has seizures every single day, at night when he sleeps he has seizures all through the night," said Cutler’s mom Natalie.

Cutler is on a waiting list out of Colorado for cannabis oil, which is a specially cultivated marijuana product used to prevent seizures. His father Jason Henrie explains that for now there is nothing they can do. The medicine they give him does not stop the seizures and makes him drowsy. An implant that should work like a pacemaker in his brain and stop the seizures is of no use.

The Henrie family is clinging to the hope that the cannabis oil out grown in Colorado at a family farm will save their son. Under Colorado law, each plant to be sold out of state must have a barcode and a patient attached to it. The plants do not grow overnight and so the families wait.

The Henries expect to get their first dose in the Fall. They worry, however, about how long they will have their little boy in their lives. If that is not enough to worry about, this family fears the legal ramifications of the cannabis oil already legal in Utah. Taking it across state lines from Colorado is still a federal offense. It is a risk Jason says they do not "necessarily want to take."

Jason works for the U.S. Air force and would lose his job if he faced drug charges for carrying his son’s cannabis oil across state lines. That's why the Henrie family, like so many other families in their position, support Senator Urquhart's latest proposal to sell the oil at state liquor stores.

"Any way we can get it is going to be a good thing and we're really excited about that," said Jason.

There are, however, reservations about the location. Many families wish the oil could be sold somewhere else like a pharmacy. Without FDA approval, that too would be illegal.  Jason laments that "it's not every day people run to the liquor store for something for their children."

Natalie says she "would not be thrilled going into a liquor store." While there is reticence, this family understands liquor stores may be the only way the state could keep control and remove the burden of possible arrest. In the end they say they "would do it in a heartbeat" if it meant helping their son.

There is a federal understanding that should in theory protect Utah families, but there is nothing in writing. Also, a worry is traveling every time they need a new supply. Families with severe epilepsy do not travel far from home with their children who can easily get sick or hurt.

It is still early to know if there is backing for the bill Sen. Urquhart is proposing, but with the oil already legal in the state, it could be further controlled if the entire process from growth, to application and sales could be controlled by a state run agency.

By: Heidi Hatch

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group).
(KUTV) Police are searching for two women who allegedly impersonated police officers and stole the money and vehicle of two men Sunday evening in Salt Lake City.

"It's an odd case, it really is," said Salt Lake City Police Sgt. Robin Heiden.

The incident happened just before 9:00 p.m. The two men were visiting a friend at a house near 900 West and 200 South in Salt Lake City.

Sgt. Heiden said the two females approached the two men and told them they were "agents." They did not elaborate, Heiden said.

The two alleged officer impersonators told the men more police were on the way. The women "didn't have any guns, didn't have identification, no badges, anything like that," said Heiden. "The males believed them."

Police say the women made the men come out to the front of the house, sit on the curb, cross their legs and answer some questions. The women then stole the wallets of the men, their keys and took off with their car.

"They got into his 2001 Toyota blue Celica and left the scene," said Heiden. "The males weren't injured in any way, other than their pride, and they were a little shaken up of course."

Not long after, the car was found, but officers are still surprised the incident happened.

"Sometimes when you see someone who is impersonating an officer, they're doing it with a badge or something like that and telling somebody they work at a certain department," said Heiden. "Neither one of them were even in anything that looked like a uniform."

One of the suspects, a heavy-set female Hispanic, "was wearing a blue shirt with khaki pants, and they were capri pants," said Heiden. "The other female was wearing a blue shirt with black shorts."

Police say that real officers typically wear a uniform and if they do not, "normally they'll have a picture ID as well as a badge," Heiden said.
In this case, of course, the women did not have any of those items.

This entire incident showed how gutsy the suspects were, Heiden said, "to go up on the odds that somebody's going to believe that you're an agent without any ID, and they did that."

The two female suspects are still on the loose. They are described as in their 30's, one Hispanic woman and one white woman. If they are caught, they both face serious charges including robbery and vehicle theft as well as impersonating a police officer.

Police also say the victims and suspects did not know each other.

By: Daniel Woodruff

Follow Daniel on Twitter: @danielmwoodruff

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates
(KUTV) A former federal judge and University of Utah law professor is joining the legal team for a former West Valley City detective charged with manslaughter.

Former judge Paul Cassell says 33-year-old Shaun Cowley never should have been charged for shooting a 21-year-old unarmed woman during a drug investigation.  He disagrees with the decision from the District Attorney's office to charge Cowley with manslaughter, a second-degree felony.

"The more I looked, the more I became convinced that a very good office made a very bad decision in this case," Paul Cassell said.  ""The law says an officer is entitled to use deadly force if he is in a situation of bodily injury or threatened with death."

Cassell says the shooting was justified and if Cowley is convicted, it will make officers fearful to defend themselves.

Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill charged Cowley in June, saying the officer's life was not in danger when he shot Danielle Willard in 2012.

Willard was sitting in her Subaru at the Lexington Park Apartments in November of 2012 when she was caught in the crosshairs of a narcotics drug bust.  Cowley and fellow officer, detective Kevin Salmon fired six shots - Cowley fired off the first shot, which hit Willard in the head - taking her life.  Cowley said Willard tried to hit him with her car, which is why he fired his weapon.   

"West Valley City has sought to make him their scapegoat," Cowley's attorney, Lindsay Jarvis said.
Cowley has not yet entered a plea, but his attorney Lindsay Jarvis has called the case "incredibly disappointing."

In a 45 page court document asking for the dismissal of the case, the defense claims Cowley was forced to make statements that he was promised would not be used in a prosecution. 

"It's our belief that the information has been used against him in prosecution, Cassell said. "That's a clear violation of Cowley's fifth amendment rights."

Gill said Monday that he respects Cassell, but disagrees with his opinion.

A spokesperson with the District Attorney's Office told 2News Reporter, Brittany Tait, they are not surprised by the comments coming from the defense. They say both sides are just doing their jobs. 

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group).

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A Cottonwood Heights man was arrested Monday evening for allegedly raping a woman who was unconscious.

Cottonwood Heights police served a search warrant and took 25-year-old Caycee Stevens into custody. 

The victim told police that she was with Stevens when she passed out and was sexually assaulted. 

Police found "XTC," marijuana and prescription drugs at the residence.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group).
(KUTV) Heavy rain flooded an intersection underneath an overpass in Midvale and trapped a few cars early Monday evening.

Water collected under the overpass on Center Street and 8000 South, reaching three to four feet high before UDOT officials could respond and turn on a pump that diverts the water. Authorities say this has happened before in this location.

"When UDOT doesn't turn on the pumps, it creates a problem because it comes down," said Ken Vance, public works director of Midvale City. 

Both roads were closed off temporarily, but are now reopened.

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)
(KUTV) Willliam Brown, 10, has received a lot of speech therapy, but not a lot of success in certain areas.

"The older he was getting, the more concerned I was about him not picking up his R's and thinking how are we going to solve this problem" William's mother Lisa Brown told 2News.

When Lisa heard about a new technology called Smart Palate, she took William to meet Colleen Mitchell, a speech pathologist who uses the device in her therapy.

"I heard about it and I thought let's give this a try because traditional speech therapy isn't working for him," Lisa said.

The device is a small piece of plastic with 124 gold sensors. The device is made to be put in the mouth and it connects to a computer. Unlike traditional therapy, the device helps patients see, not just hear or feel where they need to move their tongue and mouth to make certain sounds.

"It completely takes out the guesswork of what they have to do and the consistency works with the brain so they're doing the same thing every single time," said Lisa.

The technology is new and in Mitchell's words is "amazing."

"What happens is as the tongue goes over the palate, it lights up little dots or sensors on the screen," said Mitchell.

David Larsen, CEO of Smart Palate, says the device is the beginning of the future of speech therapy. He worked with the original doctor before launching the mouthpiece worldwide. He realizes it is a big change and some therapists will be hesitant to try the new method.

"It's really the first computer for speech therapy," Larsen said. "It's the first tool they have had like this and so it's a hard change."

Mitchell says the technology is a change that cuts out months of therapy sessions and discouragement.

"My goal always when I get them in here is immediate success and this does it. It does it every single time," said Mitchell.

The Brown family has already discovered success with the new technology.

"Once he could see that R sound, it just clicked," said Lisa.

Mitchell says the Smart Palate does not cure speech problems. The patients still have to do the work to strengthen the right muscles. Her hope is that it can ultimately be used in school to help children get immediate results at a very young age.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group).
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) FBI employees have told a federal judge that they thoroughly searched agency archives and found no evidence that more videos of the Oklahoma City bombing exist.

A federal judge in Salt Lake City heard the testimony Monday in the first day of a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit by attorney Jesse Trentadue.

He says the FBI won't release videos that show a second person was with Timothy McVeigh when he parked a truck outside the Oklahoma City federal building and detonated a bomb that killed 168 people.

The government says McVeigh was alone.

Longtime FBI employee Linda Vernon testified she is "completely confident" the agency has found every video of the bombing that exists.

The trial continues Tuesday and will run at least through Wednesday before the judge makes a ruling.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
(KUTV) Unified Fire Authority with the assistance of Questar Gas have ruled out natural gas as playing a role in the explosion and subsequent that killed a man at a Draper home on Friday.

The exact cause of the explosion and fire has still not yet been determined. At this time, officials say some form of accelerant, as detected by trained canines, was used and contributed to the rapid fire spread.

UFA is not currently pursuing any more active leads or suspects in the case.

Paul Broadhurst, 40, died at University Hospital's burn unit late Friday evening from injuries sustained in the gas explosion and fire. He fell from the second story window with serious burns.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group).

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) SR-132 in Nephi Canyon has reopened to one-way traffic after a mudslide Monday afternoon shut the road down for several hours, according to the Utah Department of Transportation.

The road connects Nephi and Foundation Green around mile marker 37. According to the UDOT, traffic was not allowed on that part of the road for several hours until clean-up and repairs were made.

No injuries or accidents were reported from the mudslide.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group).
LOS ANGELES (CNN) -- Shelly Sterling says she can finally get some rest now that it looks like she will be able to sell the Los Angeles Clippers for $2 billion.

But Donald Sterling's lawyers say this is just one battle in a war their client wants to continue waging.

It appears, however, they are losing the war to keep the franchise Donald Sterling has owned for more than 30 years.

A California probate judge ruled Monday that a deal to sell the NBA team for a league-record price can move forward.

Judge Michael Levanas tentatively ruled in favor of Shelly Sterling, saying the estranged wife of Donald Sterling acted properly in removing her husband from the trust that owns the NBA team and in winding up the affairs of the trust.

The sale can go forward regardless of any appeals, Levanas said.

And Donald Sterling will appeal, his attorneys said.

"His reaction is very calm. He didn't see this as the final battleground. This is one stage of a long war," Bobby Samini said.

The ruling is expected to become final in about 10 days, after Donald Sterling's lawyers are allowed to enter their objections to the judgment.

CNN legal analyst Sunny Hostin said it is unlikely that Sterling's lawyers will succeed if they appeal the final ruling. Appellate courts are very reluctant to overturn a probate judge's decision on the facts, she said.

NBA pleased

Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has agreed with Shelly Sterling to buy the Clippers for a league record $2 billion.

"We are pleased that the court has affirmed Shelly Sterling's right to sell the Los Angeles Clippers to Steve Ballmer," the NBA said through spokesman Mike Bass. "We look forward to the transaction closing as soon as possible."

Pierce O'Donnell, an attorney for Shelly Sterling, said they hoped to have the sale completed by August 13.

"This is going to be a good thing for the city, for the league, for my family, for all of us," said Shelly Sterling, who added she will still be sitting courtside next season. "And come see the Clippers next year!"

She called Ballmer the "best new owner that anybody could ever find."

She said that she hadn't slept well for two months.

"I'm just glad it's over," she said.

Doctors ruled Donald Sterling was mentally incapacitated

Shelly Sterling was within her rights to remove her husband from the trust under which each Sterling had owned 50% of the team, the judge agreed. She became sole trustee in May after two doctors determined Donald Sterling was mentally incapacitated.

In April, Donald Sterling, 80, came under fire for making racist remarks against African-Americans in comments to his companion V. Stiviano. The recorded conversation was published online.

In response, the NBA banned Sterling for life, fined him the maximum $2.5 million and moved toward terminating the Sterlings' ownership rights in the franchise.

Donald Sterling, in turn, sued the league for $1 billion for alleged antitrust violations in its handling of the matter. Samini said they would switch their focus to this case.

Sterling also is suing Shelly Sterling and NBA Commissioner Adam Silver, seeking monetary damages in civil court. Court documents filed by Sterling's attorneys call the potential deal "unlawful" and "fraudulent," and ask for an injunction to block the sale.

Donald Sterling revoked the family trust in June, and the lawsuit contends that the move reverted the Clippers back to his sole ownership and therefore Shelly Sterling has no power or right to sell the team. All the stock for the franchise was issued in his name, court documents said.

Donald Sterling has said he will never sell the Clippers.

The NBA Board of Governors, a group of the league's 30 owners, will also have to approve the sale for it to go through.

Donald Sterling bought the Clippers in 1981 for about $12 million and is the longest-tenured owner in the NBA.

™ & © 2014 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.
(KUTV) Police are calling a suspicious package found outside a credit union Monday in Ogden a botched robbery.

A teller at the Wasatch Peaks Credit Union on Washington Blvd. sounded the alarm after she saw a call pull through the drive-up and sent in a package with the word "bomb" sprawled on the top inside.

The car took off and a bomb squad was called in to investigate. The credit union was evacuated while they investigated the contents of the package.
An officer decked out in armor x-rayed and sprayed the package with water.

The package was deemed inert, so it was not detonated.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(CNN) -- A relaxing day at Southern California's famed Venice Beach took a deadly turn Sunday afternoon when a powerful lightning bolt struck the water, killing one person and injuring at least 13, emergency officials said.

The sudden lightning strike at Venice Beach caused panic as people tried to get out of the water and off the beach.

The Los Angeles County coroner's office confirmed one man in his 20s died at a local hospital after he was rescued from the beach.

But it's too soon to say whether he died from "a lightning strike, drowning or being trampled by the crowd," according to John Kades with the coroner's office.

"The day started out clear, but there were storms in the forecast for the region on Sunday," CNN meteorologist Sherri Pugh said of the isolated thunderstorms that swept through the Los Angeles area.

The lightning hit the water and the beach at 2:51 p.m. PT (5:51 p.m. ET), according to spokeswoman Katherine Main of the Los Angeles Fire Department.

Emergency responders assessed the condition of at least 13 victims -- all of whom were either in or near the water -- at the scene. Of those, seven adults and one teenager were transported to local hospitals.

One was listed in serious conditions and six were listed in fair condition by late Sunday afternoon

The National Weather Service in Los Angeles tweeted around the time of the strike that "cloud to ground lightning" had been reported in nearby Marina del Rey and at the Los Angeles International Airport.

Witnesses tweeted they saw a huge bolt of lightning strike the area, with one Twitter user describing an explosion that blew off nearby roof tiles.

Lightning also struck Catalina Island on Sunday. Los Angeles County Sheriff Sgt. Robert Berardi said a man was hit by a lightning strike near a golf course. He was taken to a local hospital, treated and later released.

Lightning fatalities are pretty rare in California. Between 1959 and 2012, 31 people died after they were struck by lightning, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. In comparison, there were 468 deaths from lightning strikes in Florida during the same time period, followed by 215 in Texas.

The National Weather Service has compiled a list of lightning safety tips on its website.

There is no safe place outside during a thunderstorm or when lightning strikes, the agency said. To reduce the risk of injury or even death during severe weather, people planning outdoor activities of any kind should have a safety plan. At the first clap of thunder, the weather service said anybody outdoors should run for shelter or for their vehicles and they should remain sheltered for at least 30 minutes after the last clap of thunder is heard.

When visiting the beach, where there is limited shelter available for taking cover during a thunderstorm, the weather service advises people to run for their cars at the first sign of thunder or lightning in the distance. The agency also warns against taking cover under the beach picnic shelters. It says water, wet items, like ropes and metal objects, including fences and poles, are big dangers during lightning storms because water and metal are both great conductors of electrical currents.

The weather service also offers these tips for minimizing the risk of getting struck by lightning: Avoid open fields and hilltops, stay away from tall, isolated trees or other tall objects, set up camps in lower lying areas and remember tents do not offer protection from lightning.

There is also professional lightning detection equipment available that issues alerts when lightning is approaching an area. The weather service said it's a good investment for outdoors sports groups or other outside events.

CNN's Joe Sutton contributed to this report.

™ & © 2014 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

By Dave Alsup and Shelby Lin Erdman

(KUTV) Hiking, biking, and boating are three of many outdoor activities to enjoy in the warm summer months, but can also bring people face to face with wildlife.

"Part of our job is to help people stay healthy instead of wait for them to get sick so we thought we would warn people that it's that time of the year," said Southwest Utah Public Health Officer David Blodgett.

There are three things that Blodgett is urging people to do be aware of when it comes to wildlife.

"First, if an animal is sick enough that you can get close enough to touch it, then stay away from it,a he said.

Most wild animals like bats, prairie dogs and mice usually try to avoid humans, but mosquitos, a carrier of the West Nile virus, are drawn to people.

Blodgett advises people to stay away from standing water and wear long sleeves and repellent to avoid being bit.

 "Second, animal waste products, mouse droppings, those kinds of things are always bad news. If you clean them up, take precautions,a said Blodgett.

Blodgett says it is important to make sure to wear gloves and even a mask when cleaning up waste or the carcass of an animal. He says it is important to be aware of things in the environment and what kinds of diseases you need to avoid.

"We have plague for example in the small rodents of our area and so just knowing that can help you if you come across a dead animal," said Blodgett.

A long time problem animal Cedar City is the prairie dog.

"Donat ever go near prairie dogs that are dead for example. That's a bad sign," said Blodgett.

Blodgett advises whether in the mountains or in a front yard, make sure to be cautious.

"They're not incredibly common, but for the people that are out in the wild and out where they can come in contact with this it can be a problem," said Blodgett.

To find out more information on what animal carries what disease and how to protect yourself, click here

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group).

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Lindon police have arrested a man believed to have defrauded his neighbor by $43,000.

Police believe that Jerry Lovelace, 55, approached the victim about a business opportunity and was asking for operating costs to start.  Then over a three year period, which started in 2010, the victim gave Lovelace tens of thousands of dollars. Lovelace was apparently fabricating documents from alleged buyers and investors.

Some of the fraudulent documents came from an alleged Orange County Fire Authority and the victim thought they were authentic and wanted to invest in the product.

After the victim got fed up with numerous delays he decided to check with the OFCA to check in on their investment.  OFCA officials told him that they had never been contacted by Lovelace and they were not investors in his product. 

When detectives starting looking into the case they found out that there was a similar case being investigated by Draper police and that they had enough to file charges against Lovelace. 

Lovelace has been booked into the Utah County Jail and he has been charged with two counts of forgery and communications fraud, all of which are felonies.  He is currently still in jail being held without bail.
(CNN) -- A Georgia man was killed and his daughter critically injured Sunday when an airplane struck them as they walked along a Florida beach.

Sarasota County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Wendy Rose said Venice Municipal Airport officials reported a plane in distress Sunday afternoon.

The pilot of a 1972 Piper Cherokee radioed that he would be unable to make it back to the airport and that he was instead going to attempt a landing on Caspersen Beach, just to the south.

The plane landed and hit Ommy Irizarry, 36, and his daughter, Oceana, 9, about 2:45 p.m., according to a statement from the Federal Aviation Administration.

Irizarry died on the scene. His daughter was airlifted to All Children's Hospital and is believed to be in critical condition, according to the sheriff's office.

"The dad looked very bad," witness Zack Arceneaux told CNN affiliate Bay News 9. "They were performing CPR on him. He had blood on his face. It looked like he wasn't breathing at all."

"It's the last thing you'd expect," Arceneaux said to CNN affiliate WTSP. "I didn't hear anything. Actually I thought the motor must've went out. I didn't hear anything. Figured, maybe it ran out of fuel and just hit them and they weren't ready."

The pilot, Karl Kokomoor and his passenger, David Theen, were uninjured. Both are from Englewood, Florida.

The National Transportation Safety Board and the FAA are investigating.

By Janet DiGiacomo

CNN's Joe Sutton contributed to this report

™ & © 2014 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.
(KUTV) A four-hour standoff in South Jordan has ended peacefully.The standoff took place at the San Marino Apartments at about 750 West 9800 South.

South Jordan Police Sgt. Sam Winkler said 34-year-old Kenneth John Perna-Rutsky got into a fight with his fiance just before 1:00 p.m. Sunday, and at some point he displayed a handgun.

Winkler didn't have any information about the nature of the fight.

About 40 apartments were evacuated after officers responded to the scene and the suspect refused to come out.

The SWAT team was called in. After making contact with the suspect, he surrendered, Winkler said. No one was hurt.

Perna-Rutsky was taken to a local hospital for an evaluation, Winkler said. Investigators were working to determine if any charges will be filed. 

By: Daniel Woodruff

Follow Daniel on Twitter: @danielmwoodruff

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A former federal judge is joining the defense team for former officer Shaun Cowley, who shot and killed Danielle Willard during a drug bust in West Valley City.

According to the Salt Lake Tribune and Paul Cassell who is now a University of Utah law professor said in a letter to Cowley's supporters that he has looked over the evidence in the case and he does not think charges should have been filed.

In June Cowley was charged with manslaughter and if convicted he could spend up to 15 years in prison.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Fire crews in Willard are monitoring a barn fire after efforts to extinguish the blaze were unsuccessful.

According to the Standard Examiner the Alfalfa barn near 7200 South 800 West started on fire around 8:00 Sunday night.

Fire officials say because of limited resources they are going to have to let the barn burn down.

The cause of the blaze is under investigation, but neighbors think hot temperatures may have sparked the fire.

There is no word on just how much damage the blaze has done.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Fire crews continued to fight several wildfires throughout the state over the weekend.

Two fires in Tooele County have burned more than a 4,000 acres.

The Levan Wildfire, which is burning on the east side of highway 28, has consumed more than 4,300 acres with 35 percent containment.

The Tunnel Hollow fire has burned 1,400 acres but crews expect to have it contained sometime Monday. In Summit County, firefighters are closer to gaining an upper hand on the Rockport Fire.

Evacuations were lifted Friday night for almost 200 homes near Park City, as flames charred at least 120 aces. A fire in this same area last year destroyed several homes.

Officials have determined that lightning was the cause of the fire.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Senator Mike Lee is sponsoring a bill to cut the federal gas tax as part of his proposal to address the soon to be bankrupt federal transportation fund.
Lee's plan would cut the gas tax from 18 cents to about four.

It also shifts the costs for building new roads and interstate from the federal government to the states.
Lee has several co-sponsors, including Senator Marco Rubio of Florida.
(KUTV) Police are investigating a drive by shooting on Salt Lake City's west side.

"All of a sudden I heard these five continuous shots. It was like bang bang bang bang continuously," explained a neighbor.

At least five shots were fired during the shooting and police say the intended victims chased the gunmen for several blocks.

No one was hurt, but officers think the shooting was gang related.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) They took the rare collectors' cars out of the museum Sunday and into the sunlight for all to see at the Miller Motorsports Park for the inaugural Octane Party, helping kick off the 9th annual Beehive Drive with proceeds going to help the families of fallen officers.
Jazz CEO Greg Miller welcomed car enthusiasts to the show, telling 2News this was the first time all these limited production vehicles and classic cars were together in one location, "We've got hot rods, rat rods, old 4-wheel drives, a mini cooper that just pulled up and my hope is that we can just continue to build on the diversity."
Car lovers, young and old, perused the cars on display outside of the Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele County, while inside races were going on. Miller says cars are a great way for family members to find that special connection, "As I've gotten older I've realized that cars are a great way to establish relationships. It was one of the most special memories I have of my dad in a car. It's a neat way to bond and build relationships with people you love."
"It kind of leaves you speechless," Josh Ayres told 2News Sunday as he wandered through the various make and models for show, "This is actually the only place in the world that you'll see these cars, because of their rarity, like in one spot. So, it's pretty cool!"
"I think it's great, particularly the GT40s over here! That's the year I really watched a lot of racing," car enthusiast Paul Schack said Sunday adding that it gives him a chance to fantasize about owning one of the classic muscle cars, pointing to a yellow hot rod, "This would be the car I'd like to own, but right now I drive a Toyota Corolla."
Organizers say over the last 8 years, $1.8 Million has been donated to the Utah Highway Patrol's Honoring Heroes Foundation, helping families of fallen and injured officers, as well as going toward community betterment projects in rural areas. Donations are made in the communities where the Beehive Drive makes its stops. The Utah towns of Helper, Blanding and Fairview will host the cars as the touring show runs through the end of the month.

A benefit gala will then be held at the Grand America on the 31st with proceeds going to the foundation. For more information go to: beehivedrive.org

By Amy Nay

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Search and rescue crews in Idaho have located the brother of Orem native Noelle Pikus-Pace and his three children in the Emerald Lake area.

Crews began searching for Jared Pikus and his three kids when they did not rendezvous with Pikus' wife on Saturday.

The group had left for a camping trip on Friday and campers in the area told search crews they saw the family Saturday afternoon.

Campers told crews the family was rafting on Moores Lake and were going to walk a ridge-line back to their campsite. Officials say based on the information search crews were able to concentrate their efforts into a smaller area.

According to Pikus-Pace's Facebook page the family became lost and began hikeing down a road they found until they ran into someone. She is reporting that they were found okay and as of Sunday afternoon they were still on the mountain.

We will have additional information on the story as it becomes available.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Idaho State Police responded to a fatal crash on Interstate 84 at milepost 273, near the border of Utah and Idaho early Sunday morning.

Police say Kenneth Brooks, 17, of Magna was traveling eastbound on Interstate 84 in a 2000 Chevy Venture van.  Brooks swerved towards the median in an attempt to avoid an animal in the roadway. He corrected back into the lane of travel, and over steered back into the median causing the van to overturn. 

Mark Beaslin, 60, of Taylorsville was sleeping in the cargo area of the van and was ejected from the vehicle when it overturned.  Brooks and Beaslin were both transported by ambulance to Bear River Valley Hospital in Tremonton, UT.

Brooks was wearing his seat belt and his condition is unknown. Beaslin, who was unsecured in the vehicle, was declared dead after arriving at the hospital. 
The crash remains under investigation by Idaho State Police. 

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
FARMINGTON, N.M. (AP) — Navajo Nation officials say two horses have become infected with the West Nile virus.

The Daily Times reported Friday that the Navajo Nation Veterinary and Livestock Program confirmed the diagnosis.

Navajo Nation Veterinarian Scott Bender says both horses showed symptoms such as fever, head droop and seizures.

The horses are from Hunter's Point and St. Michaels in Arizona.

Officials say horses are more susceptible to the virus, which is transmitted by infected mosquitoes.

The virus cannot be transmitted from animals to people or person to person.

People are urged to take precautions to avoid mosquito bites and to vaccinate their horses.

Officials also advise the suspension of outdoor activities at sunrise and sunset, when mosquitoes are most active.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A 20-year-old man died Sunday after lightning struck 13 people at a popular Los Angeles beach and a golfer on Catalina Island during rare summer thunderstorms that swept through Southern California, authorities said.

The man was taken from Venice Beach and pronounced dead at a hospital Sunday afternoon, Los Angeles County coroner's Lt. Larry Dietz said. His identity was not immediately released.

Dietz did not immediately know the cause of death and couldn't immediately confirm whether the man was a swimmer pulled from the water and given CPR by lifeguards.

Thirteen people, including a 15-year-old boy were jolted by lightning on the beach, in the water and on the famed Venice Beach boardwalk. Nine were taken to hospitals, where one remained in critical condition, authorities said.

Most of the others were mainly shaken up and expected to recover, fire officials said.

Steve Christensen said his friend had been body-surfing and was sitting on the beach when lifeguards began searching for a missing swimmer.

"He (Christensen's friend) went out to the water to find him and walked right into him," Christensen said. "He was face down on the bottom."

Christensen said his friend pulled the man, who appeared to be in his 20s, from the water, and lifeguards began CPR before taking him away on a truck.

"The guy wasn't moving. He wasn't responding at all," Jesus Zamudio of Riverside told the Los Angeles Times (http://lat.ms/UvUQgs ).

Stuart Acher said he was struck by lightning while playing volleyball on the beach.

"We went about our game and then all of a sudden, there was a big flash of light and a boom, and it felt like someone punched me in the back of my head," he told KABC-TV. "It went down my whole side of my right body, and my calves sort of locked up, and I fell over. And I looked up and everybody else was, you know, falling over."

Paramedics examined Acher but he felt all right and went back to playing volleyball.

"The majority of the folks that were on the (volleyball) court all felt a little tingly," said another player, Jerome Williams. "Everyone hit the court. It sounded like a sonic boom."

On Santa Catalina Island, often called Catalina Island, off the coast, a 57-year-old man was struck by lightning on a golf course and was hospitalized in stable condition, said Steve Denning, a law enforcement technician with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. He did not have other details.

The lightning strikes occurred as a fierce but brief thunderstorm hit the island, causing minor flooding and setting two small fires in the brushy backcountry that were quickly doused, Denning said.

Parts of the island received more than three-quarters of an inch of rain in about two hours, said Stuart Seto, a weather specialist with the National Weather Service in Oxnard.

A moisture-laden monsoonal flow usually spawns thunderstorms when it hits hot weather in the deserts and sometimes in the mountains this time of year, Seto said.

"This time, it came all around San Diego and northwards," spreading out into the ocean as well as inland, Seto said.

The storms began to dissipate as they moved northwest, leaving just a chance of storms through Monday, mainly in the deserts and mountains.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.

(KUTV) Firefighters have returned to the scene of a fire east of Springville that forced ten homes to be evacuated and forty to be put on standby Saturday night.

Fire crews from five agencies responded to the fire: Springville, Utah County, Mapleton, Spanish Fork and Salem. The crews were forced to stop for the night because the steep terrain was too dangerous in the dark.

The blaze, which started around 2:20 a.m. Saturday in the hills above 2080 E. Canyon Rd., has now burned an estimated 140 acres and is only 15 percent contained.

Families have been allowed to return after the wind shifted and the fire moved away from those homes. The blaze is now moving toward the Hobble Creek Canyon area.

Officials say the fire was sparked by teenagers playing with sparklers on the east bench in Springville, a restricted area near a culinary water storage tank.

"It's fire season, all the conditions are right. It takes very little bit of a spark to light a fire," warns Kim Osborne with the U.S. Forest Service.

The teens reportedly called for help but the blaze spread rapidly.

Sunday is the last day to legally light off fireworks and officials are urging everyone to use caution and a little common sense.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A crash injured a motorcyclist  during a racing event at Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele County early Sunday afternoon.

Race officials say that the motorcyclist lost control of his bike and suffered severe facial injuries.

Paramedics treated the man on the scene and he was then flown by medical helicopter to the University of Utah Hospital.

"People crash all the time and normally we don't have to medevac them but in this case we felt it was the best thing to do," said John Gardner, Marketing Communications Manager for Miller Performance.

He was reportedly in  stable condition when he was transported.

The race was temporarily halted while crews treated the man and removed the motorcycle from the track.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Very little is known at this time, but an accident that occurred on northbound I-15 Sunday afternoon had traffic backed up and moving slowly.

Crews were able to remove the debris from the road and the lanes have been reopened.

We will continue to update the story as details are released.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) This weekend wrapped up a number of Pioneer Day celebrations, and in West Jordan the pioneer spirit was on full display as people re-enact what life was like in the 1800's.

"Whether we had ancestors who crossed the plains or not we all had ancestors that lived in the 1840's 50's and 60's so we can all have a connection to the past," Dianna Diehl of the Pioneer Heritage Company.

It's part of the annual festival celebrating the Mormon pioneers' trek into the Salt Lake Valley back in 1847.

Saturday, there were cooking demonstrations and old fashioned children's games. There was even a woman showing attendees how pioneers spun wool into cloth.

Organizers say this festival is something everyone, no matter your heritage, can enjoy.
(KUTV) The Mount Olympus Trail has been reopened after crews and volunteers made some safety improvements to the upper portion of the hike.

New trail markers were added and debris was placed across false trails to prevent people from getting lost so often.

Search and rescue crews have responded to a number lost and injured hikers in the area over the last few years.

Salt Lake County worked with the forest service on the project.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Several families were forced out of their homes overnight as fire rages on the east side of Springville.

The fire broke out at about 2:20 a.m. Saturday in the hills above 2080 E. Canyon Rd.

Fire crews from five agencies responded to the fire: Springville, Utah County, Mapleton, Spanish Fork and Salem.

At least 10 homes were evacuated and 40 were told to be ready to leave if necessary.  Officials say the fire was burning toward homes in the Spring Creek area but crews were able to stop the flames with no property loss.

Wind has since shifted and the fire has moved away from those homes. It is now about 1500 yards from the nearest structure and is moving toward the Hobble Creek Canyon area.

Thirty-five firefighters are on scene and air support is expected to help efforts.

Officials say the fire was sparked by teenagers playing with sparklers. The teens reportedly called for help but the blaze spread rapidly.

"The land up there is tinder dry" said Lt. Dave Caron of the Springville police. "You can feel a little bit of a breeze and that little bit of breeze will take that fire and just move it faster up the side of the mountain."

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) They've drawn tens of thousands into downtown Salt Lake and are planning their third event in just their first year, but now the Salt Lake Comic Con is being threatened with a lawsuit.

A "cease and desist" letter was sent Friday from attorneys with the San Diego Comic-Con to founders of the Salt Lake Comic Con, taking issue with the newer convention's name.
"There's always a surprise around the corner," Salt Lake Comic Con co-founder Bryan Brandenburg told 2News reporter Amy Nay Saturday, "You've just got to stand up and deal with it."
He believes the instant success of the convention which began just last Fall is part of why his event is being targeted, "We had the largest first Comic Con in North American history."
And, he says a second successful event - "FanX" - fell on the same weekend as a similar event for the San Diego Comic Con, he believes helping bring about this threatened lawsuit.
The letter dated July 25th, 2014, states in part, "It is clear that your convention services are for the exact services identified (with SDCC)... Moreover, these services are directed at the same attendees and exhibitors as are the SDCC's Comic-Con services".
The attorney, Peter K. Hahn, goes on to write, "Attendees, exhibitors and fans... will incorrectly assume that your convention is in some way affiliated with SDCC".
Those are charges, Brandenburg says, are not unique to Salt Lake's event, "Comic Con - if you don't know - is just an abbreviation for a comic convention and there are comic conventions all over the country and all over the world."
He says San Diego Comic-Con has gone after others before, like the Chicago Comic Con, and lost, adding he believes they stand on solid legal footing in this case.
"We've been down this road before," Brandenburg told 2News, adding that he and co-founder Dan Farr are experienced businessman and, "we have always prevailed, and we're going to prevail again."
The San Diego Comic-Con is now ongoing in southern California, while the event in Utah is in is planning stages for its next event set for September 4th - 6th at the Salt Palace. Brandenburg says despite the threatened litigation, this next Comic Con is set to be the biggest and best yet.

By Amy Nay
(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Utah quarterback Travis Wilson has been cited at a concert on a charge of possession or consumption of alcohol by a minor.

The Utah Department of Public Safety issued a statement Saturday saying the 20-year-old Wilson was cited Friday night in Salt Lake City and released at the scene.

Team officials didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

Utes head coach Kyle Whittingham said this week that Wilson is the favorite for the starting quarterback job heading into training camp.

Last month, Wilson was cleared to play months after a concussion revealed a pre-existing medical condition last season.

The 6-foot-7, 240-pound junior has started 16 games over two seasons. He completed 133 of 237 passes for 1,827 yards, 16 touchdowns and 16 interceptions for the Utes last season before his concussion.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) 2News reporter DJ Bolerjack takes a leap with the Golden Knights from 6,500 feet. It all took place in the southern Utah skies at the Utah Air Show. Watch the sky-dive here.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A man has died after being shot by police in Millcreek Saturday morning.

It happened at an apartment complex near 365 E. Woodlake Cove where officers were called to a domestic violence situation.

"All of a sudden I heard a bunch of gunshots going off and it was really scary" said witness Janice Trujillo "I saw a bunch of cops running this way so I went in the house and had my kids hit the floor."

The suspect Nicholas Lister, 31, was allededly combative so officers set up a containment around the apartment and talked to him from outside.

"The suspect, however, insisted that he was going to come out of his home with a firearm" said Sherriff James Winder of Unified Police "Our officers tried to convince him not to do that multiple times.

Lister did come out with a shotgun and police say he fired at officers. They returned fire and Lister died on the scene.

No officers were injured.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) The Utah Highway Patrol reports that a 62-year-old man from Fontana, California was killed during a rollover accident near Cedar City.

Tomasi F Toutai was driving northbound on Interstate 15 when he swerved his vehicle and slid off the freeway and into the medium, according to the UHP press release.

The vehicle went through the median and rolled. Mr Toutai was ejected from the vehicle, which caused fatal injuries.

The victim's Chevy Colbalt continued to roll across the southbound lanes of the highway and came to rest on its side, the press release said.

Investigators say that Toutai was not wearing a seat belt.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) West Valley City police are looking for a suspected clothing thief. The suspect was captured on a surveillance camera.

Police say the man tried to steal clothing from a Macy's store at the Valley Fair Mall. The suspect was confronted by a store employee, when he allegedly shoved the employee and fled on foot.

The West Valley City Police Department is asking for the public's help in identifying the suspect.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV)  10-year-old Jeremy Gerritsen is training to join team USA for the next Olympic Cup Stacking Championship. 

Gerritsen started training in December after being introduced to the sport by his gym teacher.  He enjoyed cup stacking so much that he trained at home for three hours a day and is already one of the fastest stackers in the West.

The Gerritsen family raised money at the Ogden Farmer's Market on Saturday for their big trip to Iowa, where Jeremy will compete against other young cup stackers in the Junior Olympics. 

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) The man involved in the 2-alarm fire at his Draper home has died.

Paul Broadhurst, 40, died at University Hospital's burn unit late Friday evening from injuries sustained in the gas explosion that ignited a fire at his residence. He fell from the second story window with serious burns.

Broadhurst's brother Ryan Dickson issued this statement. "Our family is grateful to emergency medical personnel and health care providers who assisted Paul on Friday. We ask for privacy as we grieve the loss of our family member."

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) The Levan fire burning in Central Utah has grown to over 3,000 acres.

More than 100 firefighters are working to control the blaze. It is only five percent contained.

The flames caused evacuations Thursday but those families were able to return to their homes a few hours later. The highway nearby had to close for a time but has since reopened.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) The Unified Police Department is investigating an officer involved shooting Friday evening at an apartment complex near 360 East and 4055 South in Millcreek.

No injuries have been reported, according to Unified Police Department Public Information Officer Justin Hoyal.

The shooting is still under investigation at this time.

2News will continue to update this story with more information as soon as it becomes available.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group).
(KUTV) Firefighters are working to put out a blaze which started Friday afternoon in Summit County and an evacuation order placed earlier on more than 200 homes in the area has been lifted.

The fire is located in The Rockport Estates area of Wanship. It started Friday afternoon, causing hundreds of people to evacuate. As of 10:15 p.m. Friday, the fire was 45 percent contained and burned about 120 acres.

This same place caught fire last year, destroying more than a dozen homes. That brought a eerie sense of deja vu for a lot of people at Rockport Estates as the latest fire sparked.

"I've got my dogs up there, my two Labrador retrievers," a desperate Vicki Peppler pleaded with a Utah Highway Patrol officer blocking State Road 32 into Rockport Estates.

"We're not allowing anybody up there," responded the officer.

"I'm begging you," said Peppler, who lives on Crestview Drive. "This happened to me last year."

"We're not allowing anybody up there," the officer reiterated.

"Very sad, very sad," said Peppler as she stepped back to her car. "We've had this whole thing happen again. Not sure if I want to live at Rockport anymore."

The fire apparently sparked in a yurt -- basically a giant tent. David Chec lives right where it happened.

"Grabbed the phone to call 911, looked out the window again and saw complete walls of flames that was surrounding the guy's yurt," Chec said.
He, his wife, and his son got out quickly. They grabbed cameras, hard drives, and their fire box. It's a routine they've perfected after last year.
"We were out quicker and with less stress," said Chec. "We just shrugged our shoulders and said, what can you do."

Summit County Sheriff's officers went door to door, sounding the alarm for everyone.

"Because of last year we learned, and we immediately called out search and rescue, called in extra personnel, and that was our priority is, to evacuate," said Sheriff's Captain Justin Martinez.

Meanwhile, crews from several agencies descended on the rural area to fight flames on land and in the sky.

"They've been putting in dozer lines around the fire," said North Summit Fire spokesman Tyler Rowser. "We've had the helicopters and air tankers in. That helps slow down the progress of the fire."

After several hours, one thing was clear -- Rockport Fire part two is not the same as part one.

"This fire is not as rough as last year was," said Rowser.

That is a relief for people having to relive this nightmare.

"Last year was a couple of days of pure hell," said Chec. "This year not so much."

Firefighters say they do not know what caused the original structure fire that led to the bigger blaze. They say they will not get to that until they get this fire under control.

The Wanship LDS church was set up as the shelter for Rockport Estate evacuees earlier Friday evening. No one was allowed into Rockport Estates at the time and Utah Highway Patrol blocked access to the community.

This in the second time a fire has occurred in the area in a year. In 2013, 14 homes were destroyed. That fire triggered a major Red Cross response and recovery effort. Firefighters say they have learned their lessons from last year. That is why they were so quick to try to get people out this time around.

By: Daniel Woodruff

Follow Daniel on Twitter: @danielmwoodruff

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Photo courtesy of Brian Nino.

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A commercial fire Friday evening in Woods Cross resulted in a total loss for garage door company, Overhead Doors.

Firefighters responded to the business near 2500 S. and 1500 W. just before 5 p.m. and found the building completely engulfed. Thick black smoke was seen billowing from the building from Salt Lake City to Layton.

"We had so much fire through the roof that this was called a defensive fire which means we don't go interior or inside," said South Davis Metro Fire Battalion Chief Jeff Bassett.

A homeowner whose house backs up to the business said the flames were 30 feet high.

"I went to the back door and I could just feel the heat coming through the backdoor. It was very intense," said Toua Strong, who pointed out that the siding to his house had peeled and warped because of the heat.

At least six employees were inside when the fire started, all of them were evacuated safely. Investigators were unable to determine how the fire started while interviewing the employees.

"This is a significant loss. It's a large building. It will take our investigators quite some time to go through it and process it," said Bassett.

By: Chris Miller

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
Update: The man involved in this incident has died. Paul Broadhurst, 40, passed away late Friday night.

(KUTV) A man is hospitalized after a gas explosion sparked a 2-alarm fire at a home in Draper Friday morning.

A medical helicopter and multiple ambulances were called to the home at 15091 S Junction Cir. (235 E.) shortly after the explosion at 7 a.m. The medical helicopter airlifted the man to a nearby hospital.

The sound from the explosion rocked the Draper neighborhood and many of the residents in the area told 2News about their experience.

"I was getting out of the shower and we heard an explosion and the whole house shook," said neighbor Ryan Hawley.

Shortly after the explosion, neighbors carried the body of the man to Hawley's front yard.

"He was definitely in shock," Hawley said. "He was shaking a bit. He was burned badly across all his body."

2News will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Two young women were killed and three others injured in an accident local authorities say could have been avoided.

The Utah County Sheriff's office confirmed with 2News Friday that they are investigating Thursday's deadly crash as a possible DUI after an open container was found in the vehicle police believe swerved into oncoming traffic and caused the accident. It is an accident leaving family, friends and neighbors saddened and frustrated.

"It's just sad to hear that something like that happened to her," Katie Bench said of her neighbor Katie (Catherine) Hancock, 15. "She was so young and such a pretty girl and it's sad."

Police say Hancock of Eagle Mountain was riding as a front seat passenger Thursday with her father at the wheel and two young brothers in the back seat, all in seat belts, when a Ford Fusion driven by Jennifer Bailey, 28, swerved into their westbound lane on SR-73 near Eagle Mountain.

"It's estimated the force of impact was 130 miles per hour, since we believe both vehicles were driving at or near the speed limit of 65 miles per hour when the crash occurred," Sgt. Cannon told 2News reporter Amy Nay Friday.

Bailey, from Eagle Mountain, was also killed in the devastating crash.
Three were taken to Intermountain Medical Center in serious condition. David Hancock was said to have improved and was discharged Friday. No update on the condition of his two sons, ages 7 and 10, in the back seat. Police say their injuries were non-life threatening.

In the Rock Creek subdivision where the Hancock family resides, friends and neighbors left messages of support and flowers on their front doorstep.

Bench told 2News, "It's hard to hear when you hear of accidents, but when you hear that it was something so close to home like a neighbor it's harder."

By: Amy Nay

Follow Amy on Twitter  @AmyNay2News

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)
(KUTV) Three wildfires are burning in the Dinosaur National Monument as of Friday, July 25.

According to Don Johnson, the public affairs officer for Dinosaur National Monument, a 15-acre fire is burning near Island Park, a 25-acre fire is burning near Hog Canyon and a tree is on fire near Blue Mountain.

The fires are not near developed areas of the monument. Johnson says he does not believe rich fossil sites or cultural artifacts were in the fire area, but it is still early and officials are trying to accurately map the fire.

Firefighting efforts are gearing up and expecting some smoke-jumpers in the area.

There are no evacuations or injuries at this time.

2News will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Police are searching for a man they say stole a vehicle and may be carrying a handgun.

According to a news release from the Wasatch County Sheriff's Office, police were involved in a pursuit with 28-year-old Colby Dean Bronson Friday afternoon. They say the suspect was last seen in the Sundance area of Provo Canyon.

According to the news release, Bronson is wanted for vehicle theft and for evading law enforcement. They say he is a convicted felon who was recently released from prison.

Police also say the suspect has fled from police in the past and is known to carry weapons. Deputies believe he may be armed with a semi-automatic handgun.

Anyone with information on the suspect or his whereabouts is asked to call 911 immediately.

2News will continue to update this story with more updates as soon as they are available.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group).
(KUTV) The controversial "Common Core Curriculum" has some critics wondering if the federal government wants to take control of education standards in Utah schools.

Utah Gov. Gary Herbert has already asked the attorney general to review the program and more politicians are now getting involved.

"We must monitor and limit the role of the federal government in education," said Senate President Wayne Niederhauser.

Utah sent its math and English standards, that is what kids should learn in each grade, to a consortium of states that said Utah standards are good. Some Utahns, however, including some Utah politicians fear the federal government may use this common core to take over Utah education.

"The biggest drawback with common core is the involvement of the federal government," said Sen. Niederhauser.

Last week, Gov. Herbert called for the attorney general to make sure Utah keeps control of Utah schools and does not fall for a federal takeover. President Niederhauser says there will likely be bills and a debate on common core when the legislature meets.

State School Superintendent Martell Menlove says Utah has good standards now, and politicians should not change them.

"I'm hesitant to change standards that will help our kids succeed in school and in career," said Menlove.
Gov. Herbert notes almost everyone involved wants to keep the federal government out of Utah schools, but they still want good workable standards.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group).
(KUTV) Officials are investigating possible connections in a number of robberies in the Salt Lake Valley in the past two days.

According to Sgt. Dan Roberts with the West Jordan Police, three fast food robberies occurred in West Jordan fairly close together Thursday night. The first robbery occurred at a business called Sconecutter, located at 6149 S. Cougar Ln. around 9:45 p.m. The second robbery occurred just 15 minutes later at the Little Ceasar's located at 6179 S. Cougar Ln. The third robbery occurred at the Arctic Circle located at 3365 W. 7800 S. around 10:15 p.m. All of the robberies appear to involve the same potential suspect.  The suspect was described as a white male, 5 feet 5 inches, wearing a grey hooded sweatshirt and had a long dark wig covering the front of his face. Officials say the man brandished a handgun in each robbery.

The Unified Police Department says a robbery occurred at a Taco Bell located at 5534 W. 6200 S. in Kearns around 9:51 p.m. Thursday. The suspect entered the business, lifted up his hooded sweatshirt, revealed a handgun to the cashier and demanded money. The suspect fled in a Black Honda sports car with a spoiler headed westbound on 6200 South. The suspect was described as a Hispanic male, 5 feet 11 inches, wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt with green lettering and blue jeans. The suspect in the Taco Bell robbery, like the West Jordan suspect, had a brown wig covering his face. Officials say they saw a vehicle matching the description of the suspect's shortly after the robbery. There was a short pursuit, but it was terminated due to concern for public safety. Unified Police are unsure whether this was the suspect's vehicle, but it matched the description.

The final robbery occurred in Salt Lake City at the Health Care Credit Union located at 769 S.E. Temple St. Friday morning. No weapons were used in the robbery and no arrests were made. Suspect information is not available at this time due to detectives processing the scene and working to gather information.

2News will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) The gates are open and thunder over Utah has officially started.

After the first day of ear shattering entertainment, people caught a glimpse of what is to come this weekend. Like all performances, sometimes things do not go as planned.

 "Look there's the blue angels,” said 10-year-old Benji Anderson as he and his family drove to the St. George Municipal Airport.

 For some spectators though, it is the prestige that the pilots have that attracts them to these shoes.

"These people are so disciplined in their actions," said Kenneth Tuttle..

Staff Sgt. Mike Koch says all he needs is a little gravity.

 "It's just falling through the air and the freedom you have in the air,” said Koch. “How peaceful it is when you open the parachute. There's nothing wrong."

 Koch is a member of the Golden Knights, which is made up of over 50 men and women and multiple teams who are experts at maneuvering in the air.

"We fall at about 120 miles an hour for about sixty seconds,” said Koch.

Due to weather Friday, however, there was no jump. Spectators like Kenneth Tuttle we're upset.

"It's disappointing that the weather is such that they won't do it,” said Tuttle.

The KUTV 2 News team got a chance to take to the sky for a birds-eye view. For event goers, there will be plenty of opportunities to see the Golden Knights fly and other acts this weekend.

"You just get so excited to do what you're passionate to do," said Koch.

By: D.J. Bolerjack

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group).
(KUTV) Son Nguyen, 42, was only 15-years-old when his mother hired a smuggler to put him on a boat and get him out of communist Vietnam.

The government in Vietnam jailed Nguyen’s father and took away the family's home. He took the dangerous boat ride to Malaysia where he settled in a refugee camp. Eventually, he made it to Utah where he settled legally as a refugee.

Today, when Nguyen sees pictures of the thousands of children from Latin America now detained at the U.S. Border after failed attempts to cross illegally, he sees a bit of himself. 

"I have to look away,” Nguyen said.  “That is something you will never forget.”

President Obama and members of Congress are in a battle over what to do with the unaccompanied, undocumented children.  Nguyen said the children need help. 

"We can't just put them on a train and send them back or fly them back because they have already been through a lot," he said.  

Nguyen said somewhere the children have parents who were "between a rock and a hard place" when they made the decision to send the minors in search of a safer or better life, away from poverty or violence. 

"They probably lay there at night crying, missing their kids,” said Nguyen. “ They are not heartless, they want their kids to have a better future.”

By: Christina Flores

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Search and rescue retrieved a stranded hiker off the edge of a cliff in up Cascade Peak in Provo Canyon Friday morning.

Ben Keeley, 25, set out on a day hike up Cascade Peak in Provo Canyon around 10 a.m. Thursday.

"I've hiked all the other seven peaks except Cascade," said Keeley. “Probably 6 or 7 when I got up on the peak, so I knew I was running out of daylight," said Keeley.

Keeley ran out of food around 2 p.m. and ran out of water around 7 p.m.

"I tried to kind of take a short cut down a gully and that's how I got stuck up on all those cliffs," said Keeley.

Stuck on a cliff with no way to safely get out, Keeley used his cellphone to call for help around 11 Thursday night.

"They're able to just kind of walk me through and make it feel like they had everything under control , which they did, they did a great job," said Keeley.

The Utah County Sheriff's Office sent two teams of search and rescue volunteers up the mountain to find Keeley.  Crews reached Keeley around 7:30 Friday morning and a Life Flight brought him to safety shortly after.

"On the way down I was able to see all the cliffs I would've had to climb down. I definitely couldn't have climbed down any farther than where I was," said Keeley.

Keeley who researches his hikes ahead of time says finding information on Cascade Peak is difficult.  Keeley says he'll be better prepared next time and he's grateful for those who saved his life.

"A lot of people lose their life in the same situation, especially when it gets dark at night; you think you can make it. You slip and you're gone. It happens all the time," said Lieutenant Wally Perschon.

Keeley was not injured, just a little chilly from spending all night up on the mountain.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
UPDATE: This fire is currently zero percent contained.

(KUTV) Evacuations have been lifted following a wildfire in Levan.

The blaze started Thursday near a dairy farm and is still burning Friday.

The flames have charred up to 700 acres. Crews are using an airplane, helicopters and several engines to keep the fire at bay.

Several homes were threatened Thursday, but none were damaged.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Police arrested a man during Pioneer Day celebrations at Liberty Park because they say he tried to kidnap a 6-year-old girl.

Officials say Trevor Daniel Merkley, 42, grabbed onto the girl’s shoulder and began to guide her away from her family at about 7:30 p.m.

A family friend saw what was happening and took hold of the girl to stop her from leaving with Merkley.

Police say Merkley continued to try to talk to the girl and convince her to leave her family until he was confronted by one of the girl's adult family member who alerted police.

Merkley was booked for felony child kidnapping.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) An Ogden couple created a new accessory for runners.

It is called the Roo Sport. It is a pocket to keep your keys, phone and anything else a runner needs while they run.

Watch the video above to see how the Roo Sport came about.

Click here for the kickstarter.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclar Broadcasting Group).
(KUTV) Two 18-year-olds are recovering following being stabbed in Liberty Park Thursday night.

Police say they were called to 600 E. 900 S. around 9:30 p.m. after a group of three teens were arguing, got into a fist fight and one of the teens stabbed the other two.

Both victims were taken to the hospital and their conditions have stabilized.

Officers say the 20-year-old teen thought to have done the stabbing did get away but gang investigators know the suspect and are actively searching for him.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Two house fires connected to fireworks forced eight people from their homes in Ogden Thursday night.

The first was at 118 N. Childs Ave. just after 10:00 p.m. Firefighters say fireworks set bushes ablaze then spread to the home.

The fire caused about $30,000 in damages and a cat had to be treated for smoke inhalation.

The second fire broke out at 869 E. 1325 N. around 10:30 pm.

Firefighters say fireworks placed in the garbage started flames that then spread to the garage.

All six people living in that home made it out safe but the garage is a total loss.

The six people who live in the home will be staying with family while repairs are made.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) The "Anaconda Fire" that threatened homes in Tooele County Monday is 95 percent contained.

The lightning-sparked fire burned over 1,140 acres.

A fire crew will continue to patrol the burn area for hot spots but most firefighters will be reassigned to other fires.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(CNN) French forces secured the site of a crashed Air Algerie flight in Mali, and found one "black box" but no survivors, French President Francoise Hollande said Friday.

Wreckage of the jet was found in a "disintegrated state" in Mali, he said, making it the third major international aviation disaster in recent days.

"There are unfortunately no survivors. I share the pain of the families who are living a horrible ordeal," he said. "They will be welcomed to the Foreign Ministry Saturday to be given all the latest information."

Airline authorities said Flight 5017 was carrying 116 people when it took off early Thursday from Burkina Faso to Algeria.

Less than an hour into the flight, it disappeared from radar after changing its flight path because of bad weather, officials said.

"What we already know is that the debris from the plane is concentrated in a limited area, but it's still too early to draw conclusions," Hollande said.

"There are hypotheses around -- notably that it was to do with the weather. But we are ruling nothing out because we want to know everything."

The plane's wreckage was found in Mali's Gossi region, not too far from the border with Burkina Faso, according to the French President.

Radar contact with the plane was lost 50 minutes after takeoff from the Burkina Faso capital of Ouagadougou, authorities said. The jet was supposed to arrive later that day at Houari Boumediene Airport in Algiers. Mali is between the two nations.

Air Algerie said the plane was carrying 110 passengers and six crew members, but Hollande gave a different number.

"My thoughts go to the 118 victims, those close to them and their families," he said.

It was unclear why the President and the airline gave different numbers.

France had 51 of its nationals aboard the plane, the highest number, the President said.

The plane's departure country of Burkina Faso had 24 people aboard, the airline said, while Lebanon had eight.

The passengers also included six Algerians; five Canadians; four Germans; two from Luxembourg; one from Mali; one Cameroonian; one Belgian; one Ukrainian; one Romanian; one Swiss; one Nigerian; and one Egyptian, Air Algerie said.

Air Algerie said all six crew members were Spanish. The plane belongs to a private Spanish company, Swiftair, but was operated by Air Algerie.

Though the cause of the crash is unknown, the flight path took the aircraft through a turbulent area hit by regular thunderstorms this time of year, according to CNN meteorologist Mari Ramos.

Air Algerie's crash comes a week after a Malaysia Airlines plane was downed in Ukraine with 298 people on board.

Days after the July 17 incident, 48 people were killed when a twin-engine plane crashed while attempting to land Wednesday in Taiwan's Penghu Islands.

Air Algerie, Algeria's national airline, flies to 28 countries.

Until this week, the deadliest incident in the airline's history occurred in March 2003 when a domestic flight crashed after takeoff, killing 102 people on board. One person survived.

By Faith Karimi and Laura Smith-Spark

CNN's Al Goodman and Radina Gigova contributed to this report.

& (c) 2014 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.

Featured on KUTV

Quick Links Mentioned On 2News

Click For More Links
Web Poll

News Photo Gallery - View More

Weather Photo Gallery - View More

Advertise with us!

Trending on Social Media

Sponsored content


Pay It Forward
Fresh Living
Family Matters
Road Trippin
Hooked On Utah

Advertise with us!