Featured Videos 2News Tipline Traffic Tipline






Top Stories

(KUTV) The city of North Salt Lake issued a statement Tuesday saying they are "not responsible or at fault" for the landslide, which destroyed a home earlier in August.

Homeowners in the neighborhood are outraged by the statement. Many found out about the statement when 2News knocked on their doors Tuesday evening. Most homeowners refused to comment, sayiing they will now be hiring attorneys. One homeowner, Steven Peterson, who is attorney, did speak out.

"It's obvious the city has responsibility for this," said Peterson.

North Salt Lake City Manager Barry Edwards told 2 News, "we're not responsible because we were not up there doing anything."

Peterson says he believes the city should have issued a stop order last Fall when neighbors started to notice fissures and cracks. Many say they reported the issues to the city.

"Neither the city nor the developer seemed to be aware of the problem residents could see readily every day," said Edwards.

The city in its statement offers regret and sympathy, promising to find out who is at fault.

"Right now, we have a lot of people on the slide slope gathering data," said Edwards.

Neighbors believe the statement released late Monday is a bunch of "legal jumbo." Peterson calls it "the politically correct thing to do, but it's not the morally correct thing to do and in the end wrong legally as well."

The ongoing worry is of further movement and more destruction, not to mention the ripple effect of plummeting home values and inability to sell. Homeowners in the area are worried they lost money they will never see again.

The city will not completely rule out the possibility they may financially help homeowners.

"If we did pay out, it would be as the city was saying, out of a humanitarian reason other than legal liability," said Edwards.

The statement reads in part, "The slide was a catastrophic event and the city expresses its deepest sympathy to those affected. We understand that there is significant work to be done to repair the damage which has been caused. The City does not believe it is responsible for or at fault for the slide. The City did not cause the slide nor could it have safely done anything to prevent the slide from occurring after it began to manifest itself."

The full statement can be read on the City of North Salt Lake's website here.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Salt Lake City Police Chief Chris Burbank took a verbal shot at the Salt Lake City Council during a briefing with news reporters on Tuesday.

When asked what he thought about the council's plan to draft an ordinance that would seek to have all rape evidence kits tested at the crime lab, the Chief said doing so would be "a political feel-good as opposed to a true need." 

Earlier this year, a Salt Lake City Council member asked the chief to explain the backlog of hundreds of rape kits now sitting at the police department.  Many victims have no idea what's happened to the kits or their cases.

Burbank said testing all rape kits would be an extra burden on an already overloaded state crime lab.  Sometimes, the chief said, sexual assault cases are solved without a rape kit. Plus, he said mandatory testing of all kits could force him to prioritize rape case evidence or evidence from other crimes like homicide. 

"It plays politically, very sympathetic to someone who is a victim of sexual assault but I have to be sympathetic to victims of all crime," Burbank said.

Salt Lake Council Member Erin Mendenhall suggested the chief hash it out with the council in person and not through the media.  She said there has to be a policy in place that will deal with the backlog and the timely processing of future rape kits.

"I know the Chief is passionate about this but I don't think he has seen the ordinance yet," said Mendenhall.

Mendenhall said Salt Lake can model other cities in the U.S. that have developed policies that are working for them.

"We don't have to reinvent the wheel," she said.

Alana Kindness, executive director with the Utah Coalition Against Sexual Assault, said after the state legislature passed a bill in January, requiring victims of sexual assault be notified as to the status of their rape kits, a statewide task force has been working on rules for processing of rape kits.  Backlog exists in many Utah police departments.  Salt Lake City Police, she said, recently started working with the task force.

By: Christina Flores

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has produced a new movie, which will be released in theaters.

A top Mormon leader says this is part of a major push to put the church's message out there. Public relations experts say it could also be an effort to keep people talking about the LDS faith.

The movie is called “Meet the Mormons.” It’s a full-length documentary produced by the LDS Church.

“‘Meet the Mormons’ addresses common misperceptions about our beliefs and highlights the blessings that come from living the gospel of Jesus Christ,” said Elder David A. Bednar of the church’s Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in a devotional address Tuesday at Brigham Young University’s Education Week.

Bednar said the new film aims for a much bigger audience than just the church.

“We have discovered worldwide distribution of the film is now possible,” Bednar said. “First, in select theaters in the United States, and then later in visitors centers and on television, internet movie channels, and social media channels.”

If you go see the movie, according to the church, you'll see the stories of six Mormons living across the world. That focus on people, experts say, has become much more common in the last few years.

“Good stories are about people, and so the more focus is on people and who they are and what makes them tick, the more interest there is,” said Chris Thomas, president of Intrepid Hybrid Communications in Salt Lake City.

Thomas also said the movie seems to be an extension of the “I’m a Mormon” campaign started by the church several years ago.

“It seems like that campaign has resonated with people,” said Thomas.
Seemingly, it has, to the point that the church has moved beyond just short commercials.

“It’s always interesting when a movie or a book is produced because it creates discussion,” said Thomas. “People talk about it around the water cooler. It brings it in to the media.”

Thomas says he expects the interest in the movie to be high.

“Whether or not people see the movie, the fact that it exists, people will be talking about it and wondering about it,” said Thomas. “Those who do see it will probably get a deeper understanding of the faith.”

The church plans to donate the profits from this film to the American Red Cross. It hits theaters October 10. To learn more, visit www.meetthemormons.com.

By Daniel Woodruff

Follow Daniel on Twitter: @danielmwoodruff

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.

(KUTV) Salt Lake City's police chief addressed on Tuesday the militarization of police amidst protests in Ferguson, Missouri, and allegations of excessive force by his own police department.

In his open conversation with reporters, Chief Chris Burbank referred to public outcry after a Salt Lake City police officer fatally shot 20-year-old Dillon Taylor in South Salt Lake last week. His brother and cousin, who had just exited a 7-Eleven convenience store with Taylor, claim he was unarmed and did not threaten police.

Officers had been responding to a call of a man waving a gun in the area, and Taylor allegedly matched his description.

"The officer involved in this circumstance had a camera on his body, and the entire incident has been captured," Burbank said.

The chief also said that the officer who fired "is not a white officer," in response to questions about whether or not the incident involving Taylor, who is Hispanic, was race-related.

Burbank did not say if Taylor had been armed, waiting instead until five separate investigations into the shooting have been completed.

"Officers should be held to extremely high standards, but that cannot be an impossible standard," Burbank said.

Burbank also declined to say how Salt Lake City would have responded to protests like those in Ferguson, where demonstrators, a minority of whom have looted and burned local businesses, have been met in the streets by police with military equipment. Protestors are calling out police after a white officer shot and killed black teenager, Michael Brown.

"We should not respond to situations with more violence or lawlessness," Burbank said.

While President Barack Obama urged protestors to demonstrate peacefully, he also said the situation highlights the need to review federal programs that equip local agencies with surplus military gear.

"There is a big difference between our military and our local law enforcement, and we don't want those lines blurred," Obama said. "That would be contrary to our traditions."

Burbank said his department has received "AR-15-style rifles," riot helmets and gas masks in past years, but barely any other surplus equipment.

He said knowing when to use that gear and when not to is critical. Burbank cited the Occupy Salt Lake City protests in 2011, when he and his officers responded in regular uniforms. Some officers, he said, asked why they were not wearing helmets. Burbank decided to take the risk.

"In some circumstances, maybe that's the only option, but is there a better way to do business?" Burbank said. "If we show up wearing riot gear - helmets and shields and everything else, it says, 'Throw rocks and bottles at us.'"

Body cameras are on 150 Salt Lake City officers currently, and, by the end of September, 259 officers who interact with the public out in the field will be trained with the technology.

By: Christine McCarthy

Follow Christine on Twitter @ReporterXtine

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Officials and residents are starting to rebound following flooding prompted by thunderstorms in the eastern parts of Southern Utah and Arizona.

Heavy rains arrived in Southern Utah and Northern Arizona on Monday, triggering floods in many areas of St. George and Washington County. At least three homes and some roadways are confirmed damaged by the charging waters and the Red Cross is acting to help those who have been displaced.

The rains have sent six feet of water through the Fort Pearce Wash, which is typically a dry riverbed. Paved roads have also seen their share of water and some dirt roads have been heavily damaged, officials said.
Despite the flooding, however, authorities said the situation is looking up.

"Today has been great," said Sgt. Sam Despain of the St. George Police Department. "Right now, we haven't had any problems or any major problems."

Further north, in Washington City, residents are beginning to get a better handle on the watery nuisance - using brooms and buckets to clear away flood waters that have invaded their properties. Police said three homes there were damaged and the Red Cross has assisted two displaced families from those homes.

The full extent of the water damage remains unclear, but authorities said the region is pretty well-suited to handle the situation. Because of the severe flooding that hit the area a decade ago, rivers and canals were widened and banks were reinforced.

"St. George, with the flooding in 2005, put a lot of work in the infrastructure in making sure we were prepared for things like this," Despain said.

Authorities said a flood watch remains in place for the region and it will likely last until Tuesday evening. In the meantime, they caution drivers to be careful and watch for standing water while navigating the rain-slicked roads.

Even though the storm is over, the locals whose homes were hit hardest are preparing for another battle.

"Hopefully city council will take some responsibility in this," said Shonee Smith, a resident who lives along Main Street in Washington City, one of the areas hit hardest by the flooding. "I that it's important. They made some changes to the dike that cause this. It's just messy. I hate it."

Follow D.J. on Twitter @DJBolerjack

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
TOOELE, Utah (AP) A Utah woman whose 2-year-old son died after police say she inadvertently poured her methadone from a Gatorade bottle into his sippy cup will serve up to 15 years in prison.

The Salt Lake Tribune reports (http://bit.ly/1qn537z ) Judge Robert Adkins said Tuesday in a Tooele courtroom that he disagreed with prosecutors who said the 33-year-old Jill Goff shouldn't serve prison time.

Goff pleaded guilty in June to a child abuse homicide charge in the death of Aiden Goff, who was found dead Feb. 1 after drinking a pink liquid.

Court documents say Goff realized she had served her son the wrong drink when her 8-year-old son tried it and said it tasted like medicine.

She told police she didn't call 911 or poison control right away because she was scared.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
(KUTV) When Jessica Strong moved from North Dakota to Bountiful earlier this year, she took special steps to make sure the movers from Mayflower knew her antique table was a special item and should be handled as such.

She listed the table as a "high value" item on the shipping manifest. She says there were no issues with the table before it was picked up in North Dakota.

"It was sturdy and it was perfectly functioning," she said.

Jessica says she was completely shocked when Mayflower arrived at her new Bountiful home and began to unload.

"They started to unload it and I started to see that it wasn't in fact taken apart it was demolished into pieces," she said. "There's hardware missing, there's gouges, there's pieces of wood missing. Every piece of it is absolutely broken."

Jessica immediately called Mayflower, which told her to file a claim and sent an estimator out to look at the damage. Mayflower ultimately determined that the table broke up because of "inherent vice." It's a phrase that means, "the tendency of an object to deteriorate or damage itself without carrier mishandling," Mayflower's paperwork states.

"They're saying that the carrier never mishandled it and they basically took it out of the house and it exploded into nine pieces," Jessica said.

Mayflower offered Jessica $120 for the damage caused, well below the cost to repair the antique piece.

"It was absolutely devastating to see that thing come out like that," she said.

With Mayflower refusing to pay for the table's repair and left with a huge bill, Jessica decided it was time to Get Gephardt.

Get Gephardt contacted Mayflower and asked them to take a look at photographs of the table showing just how mutilated it became in the move. A few days later we were sent a statement that reads in part, "We regret that items were damaged in Ms. Strong's shipment and apologize for the error that complicated the claims process."

And just like that Mayflower decided they would pay for the full cost to repair the table. Whether or not they decided the damage was more than just "inherent vice" or whether paying the claim was a special exception is not clear. The late justification to pay is of little consequence to Jessica who says she is just glad that he table has been repaired at no cost to her.

By: Matt Gephardt

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(CNN) The Food and Drug Administration announced Thursday that nSpired Natural Foods Inc. is voluntarily recalling several lots of peanut, almond and other nut butters on fears of salmonella contamination. The company was made aware of the risk after routine testing showed a potential link between consumption of these products and four instances of illness.

The affected products include Arrowhead Mills Peanut Butters, MaraNatha Almond Butters and Peanut Butters and specific private label nut butters sold under the Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Kroger and Safeway brands.

A complete list of products involved in the recall can be found on FDA.gov. The company is working with consumers and retailers to remove inventory from retail shelves and warehouses. The products were sold in the United States, Canada, Hong Kong, United Arab Emirates, Dominican Republic and online.

Customers are being advised to dispose of any potentially affected containers of nut butter and contact the company directly at 1-800-937-7008 between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. CT for a replacement or refund.

A 2012 recall because of Salmonella Bredeney in peanut butter produced by Sunland Inc. resulted in 42 cases of illness and the eventual closure of the company after filing for bankruptcy.

The CDC reports that people in a normal state of health who ingest Salmonella-tainted food may experience diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps, which typically begin within 12 to 72 hours. This may be accompanied by vomiting, chills, headache and muscle pains.

These symptoms may last about four to seven days and then go away without specific treatment, but left unchecked, Salmonella infection may spread to the bloodstream and beyond. It can cause death if the person is not treated promptly with antibiotics.

Children, the elderly and people with compromised immune symptoms should practice extreme caution.

About 48 million people contract some form of food poisoning each year, according to the CDC.

Salmonella was the top cause of foodborne illness, according to the CDC's 2012 report card on food poisoning. However, the overall incidence of Salmonella was unchanged from the 2006-08 data, the agency said. The report card is based on reports from 10 U.S. regions, representing about 15% of the country.

By Kat Kinsman

™ & © 2014 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.
(KUTV) A rescue has been called off for an injured Boy Scout stuck on a mountain in Cache County.

The rescue was called off at about 6 p.m. Officials say the Boy Scout has minor injuries and is able to hike down with his group off the mountain located just east of Smithfield above Birch Canyon.

Authorities also say the boy was not stuck on a ledge as originally reported. The rescue helicopter has also been called off as the boy and his scouting troop are now hiking down from the mountain.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(CNN) A video released by ISIS shows the beheading of U.S. journalist James Foley and threatens the life of another American if President Barack Obama doesn't end military operations in Iraq.

In the video posted Tuesday on YouTube, Foley is seen kneeling next to a man dressed in black. He reads a message, presumably scripted by his captors, that his "real killer'' is America.

"I wish I had more time. I wish I could have the hope for freedom to see my family once again," Foley can be heard saying in the video.

He is then shown being beheaded.

The National Security Council is aware of the video.

"The intelligence community is working as quickly as possible to determine its authenticity. If genuine, we are appalled by the brutal murder of an innocent American journalist and we express our deepest condolences to his family and friends. We will provide more information when it is available," NSC spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden said.

Foley disappeared in November 2012 in northwest Syria, near the border with Turkey. He was reportedly forced into a vehicle by gunmen; he was not heard from again. At the time of his disappearance, he was working for the GlobalPost.

On Tuesday afternoon, the Facebook group set up to support Foley and his family, "Free James Foley," wrote, "We know that many of you are looking for confirmation or answers. Please be patient until we all have more information, and keep the Foleys in your thoughts and prayers."

The video also shows another American journalist. His life is said by the militants in the video to hang in the balance, depending on what Obama does next.

The journalist is believed to be Steven Sotloff, who was kidnapped at the Syria-Turkey border in 2013. Sotloff is a contributor to Time and Foreign Policy magazines.

As a freelancer, Foley picked up work for a number of major media outlets, including Agence France-Presse and GlobalPost.

"On behalf of John and Diane Foley, and also GlobalPost, we deeply appreciate all of the messages of sympathy and support that have poured in since the news of Jim's possible execution first broke," Philip Balboni, GlobalPost CEO and co-founder, said in a published statement.

"We have been informed that the FBI is in the process of evaluating the video posted by the Islamic State to determine if it is authentic. Until we have that determination, we will not be in a position to make any further statement. We ask for your prayers for Jim and his family."

Foley had previously been taken captive in Libya. He was detained there in April 2011 along with three other reporters and released six weeks later.

Afterward, he said that what saddened him most was knowing that he was causing his family to worry.

Foley grew up in New Hampshire and graduated from Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism in 2008. Like other young journalists who came of age after the September 11 terror attacks and American wars overseas, Foley was drawn to Iraq, Afghanistan and other areas of conflict.

Friends described Foley as fair, curious and impressively even-tempered.

"Everybody, everywhere, takes a liking to Jim as soon as they meet him," journalist Clare Morgana Gillis wrote in a blog post about him in May 2013, six months after he disappeared in Syria.

"Men like him for his good humor and tendency to address everyone as 'bro' or 'homie' or 'dude' after the first handshake. Women like him for his broad smile, broad shoulders, and because, well, women just like him."

By Chelsea J. Carter

CNN's Brian Stelter and Elise Labott contributed to this report.

™ & © 2014 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.
(KUTV) Does Utah need another big national monument?

Some environmentalists and senators want President Obama to declare a greater Canyonlands monument and it is an issue in Utah’s first district congressional race.

Utah 1st Congressional District Rep. Rob Bishop has a bill to slow down the project. He says President Obama needs to follow the process in designating monuments the way other people need to do when they do things on public land. Rep. Bishop is skeptical about the monument. His opponent Donna McAleer says it deserves more consideration than it’s getting from Bishop.

“Our iconic landscape here is a huge driver,” said McAleer.

Rep. Bishop says the monument is now being “used as a political weapon, not necessarily for conservation.”

Environmentalists want a 1.4 million acre national monument around the national park to protect it because they say too many off road vehicles are damaging land near the park. They also want to put the land off limits to oil or gas drilling. McAleer says protection deserves consideration.

President Obama can make a new monument just by himself if he wants to. Rep. Bishop says that’s too much power for one man. He says he bill is meant to reduce the President’s power over monuments.

Rep. Bishop says he doesn’t think President Obama is going to designate a big monument in Canyonlands. Both he and McAleer agree there needs to be some kind of process to protect the lands in the area.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) The race for the Salt Lake County Recorder’s Office is starting to heat up as the Democratic candidate is calling an audit, saying there’s something strange about this year’s revenue loss.

“Where’s the money,” said Democratic Candidate Mary Bishop.

The Republican County Recorder Gary Ott says business is down and there’s nothing anyone can do about the problem.

“My opponent really doesn’t know what she’s talking about and has a mean streak,” said Ott.

The County Recorder records deeds and other real estate documents and charges a fee set by law for the service. Most years, the recorder makes a little for the county. This year, however, business is down, so the recorder says he is not collecting as much in fees and will likely have to take some money from the county.

“Instead of adding money to the general fund of Salt Lake County, the recorder’s office will need an influx,” said Bishop.

Ott says the recorder helps people who ask and fewer people are asking.

“Nothing I can do about that,” said Ott.

Bishop is not satisfied with that explanation and wants an investigation.

“We deserve a recorder who will ask for an audit to determine the facts,” said Bishop.

“It’s out on the open so people know what’s going on,” said Ott.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Saratoga Springs police placed Westlake High School on lock down and delayed school start after receiving a bomb threat Tuesday.

Police say a call came in around 3 a.m. from someone claiming there was a bomb at the school. A bomb squad searched the school using canine units around 4 a.m.

As a precaution classes were cancelled and will start on Wednesday, but teachers and staff were still allowed to come into work.  The school was secured and will be open from 1 - 3 p.m. All extracurricular activities will resume as scheduled.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(CNN) St. Louis police shot and killed a young African-American man Tuesday after authorities say he brandished a knife.

The shooting took place not far from Ferguson, Missouri, where the death of black teenager Michael Brown by a white police officer has touched off violent protests.

"The suspect, who right now is described as a 23-year-old African-American, was acting erratically -- walking back and forth up and down the street," St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson told reporters.

"As officers arrived, the suspect turned towards the officers and started to walk towards them clutching his waistband. He then pulled out a knife ... and told the officers, 'Shoot me now. Kill me now,'" the chief said.

Responding officers told the man, repeatedly, to stop and drop his knife, Dotson said. He continued to approach, coming within about four feet of one of the officers, Dotson said, adding that both officers then fired their weapons, striking the suspect.

According to the St. Louis police chief, the suspect was involved in an incident earlier in the day at a convenience store, where he is accused of walking out with two energy drinks and a package of pastries without paying.

Asked about whether he was concerned Tuesday's shooting could inflame passions further in nearby Ferguson, Dotson talked about the importance of officer safety.

"If you're the family of a police officer and somebody approaches you within three feet with a knife, I think you have the right to defend yourself and protect yourself. So I think it certainly is reasonable that an officer has an expectation to go home at the end of the night," he said.

By Dana Ford

CNN's Jason Hanna contributed to this report.

™ & © 2014 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.
(KUTV) "Alright, today we are going to do a 30 to 15 push pull work out!" says a trainer inside a gym in Sandy.

Casey Fullmer, 39, is a trainer who knows what it's like to push it to the limit.

It wasn't long ago that Fullmer weighed more than 500 pounds.

"The most I weighed was probably 530 pounds," said Fullmer, referring to what he looked like back in the spring of 2013. 
Fullmer says he ate a lot and was miserable.     

"I wasn't active at work and by the time I would get home I was exhausted,a said Fullmer. aI would sit in front of the TV for a few hours, watch TV, eat and go to bed. That was my life."
Then last year Fullmer's High School friend Tom Vidal came into the picture. He had just moved to Utah from California and opened up Trainer Zone Fitness in Sandy.

"When I saw where he was I knew it was time for a change," said Vidal.

Fullmer was also getting pressure from his 16-year-old son to change.

"He asked me to try different weight loss programs he saw on TV," said Fullmer.
Fullmer says he finally gave in and started a fitness plan. He worked hard, starting with three days a week, then to four, then to five to six. He also overhauled his diet.
"I cut out a lot of fast food pretty much all of fast food. I cut out a lot of carbs and breads and sugars, sweets. A lot of protein and vegetables," said Fullmer.

The pounds began to drop month after month. On the day of the interview Fullmer stepped on a scale inside the gym and weighed in at 296 pounds, his lowest weight yet.
aI feel fantastic," said Fullmer.

As a motivation factor at the gym Fullmer keeps his size 54 waist jeans and 6XL shirt to remind him of what he does not want to go back to.

Fullmer also told 2News how he lost the weight.

"There is no secret. There is just a lot of hard work and dedication,a said Fullmer. aYou got to watch what you eat. You got to get your butt somewhere and work hard. You got to get sweaty. There is no way around it."
An incredible goal for a 500 pound man who never dreamed he would end up not only losing weight, but also becoming a fitness trainer.

"I was well over 500 pounds and I started in here and I did it. I didn't think I could do it either when I did it but I did," said Fullmer. aI shocked myself I guess."

Fullmer says he now wants to pay it forward and help others who may be in his situation by offering them a one year free training and nutrition counseling.

Fullmer and Vidal plan to pick four contestants.  If you would like to enter the challenge, you can go to www.trainerzonefitness.com for more information. 

By: Dan Rascon

Follow Dan on Twitter: @DanKUTV

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Salt Lake City emergency crews responded to an early morning fire at a downtown apartment complex near 300 East 500 South on Tuesday.

Firefighters say the fire started in a building currently under construction around 4 a.m. Crews say the fire was small in size and they were able to contain the blaze quickly.

Damage to the property is estimated at $20,000 due to building material that was destroyed.

Firefighters are investigating the cause of the fire. Investigators are suspicious of the fire because there was no power connected to the building.

No one was injured.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) KUTV anchors Ron Bird and Mary Nickles joined Tod and Erin from Rewind 100.7 in taking the Ice Bucket Challenge.

The Ice Bucket Challenge has helped the ALS Association raise over 15 million dollars since the challenge began.

Watch the video to hear who they passed the challenge onto.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV)  A 54-year-old California man was killed on Monday evening and six others were injured when the minivan they were traveling in crashed along Interstate 84 near the Idaho border, authorities said.

According to the Utah Highway Patrol (UHP), the minivan was headed west on I-84 near Snowville when it began drifting toward the left shoulder on the freeway. The driver over-corrected to the right and sent the vehicle into a spin across both westbound lanes and off the freeway.

Officials said the van hit a cement drainage area off the road, rolled one and-a-half times and ended up on its roof.

Passenger Albert Arzaga, 54, of Chula Vista, Calif., was ejected from the vehicle and died instantly, authorities said. Another male passenger was critically hurt and flown to Ogden Regional Hospital.

The driver and remaining four passengers, including two young children, were taken to Bear River Valley Hospital by ground ambulance, officials said. One of the children, a 4-year-old girl, was ultimately flown to Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake City with a severe head injury. The other four were treated for minor injuries and released, the UHP said.

The cause of the crash is under investigation.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Salt Lake City Police are looking for a man who held up a Subway sandwich shop in Sugar House over the weekend.

According to police, the suspect entered the Subway at 974 E. 2100 S. on Saturday evening wearing a dreadlocked wig that covered his face and asked the cashier for a cookie. He then pulled a gun, demanded cash from the register and left the store.

Authorities said the bandit escaped into a white Chevrolet Suburban that was waiting in the parking lot. The SUV, which had a temporary license tag and plate holder, fled the scene headed southbound on 1000 E.

Police said the bandit is a black male, approximately 17-20 years old and stood approximately 5-foot 10-inches tall. He wore the dreadlocked wig, a red hooded sweatshirt, jeans and white gloves. The driver of the SUV was also a black male, between 17 and 20 years old with a white T-shirt and short black hair, officials said.

Anyone with information is encouraged to contact the Salt Lake City Police Department at (801) 799-3000.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Heavy rains in the Southern Utah area have created a troubling situation from power crews.

Officials are saying close to 2,000 residents are being affected by power outages in the Brookside, Central, Dammeron Valley, Diamond Valley, Veyo and Winchester Hills areas.

Crews are working to restore power, but they do not have an estimated time for completion.

Follow D.J. on Twitter @DJBolerjack

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Flooding prompted by heavy rain Monday evening damaged several homes and sent water and debris into multiple areas of Washington County.

One of the damaged homes is located on N. Main Street in Washington City and currently has about two feet of water inside and four to five inches outside. Earlier Monday evening, fire crews were on the scene attempting to pump water away from the home.

St. George Fire Chief Robert Stoker says the flooding is a result from the thunderstorms that hit the eastern parts of southern Utah and Arizona.

"Our real concern is people that are here watching it in the area of the Fort Pearce Wash," said Stoker. "If they get too close to the edges, the edges may give way."

Damage in areas all around Washington County have people talking.

"I haven't seen anything like this for the past few years," said resident Wiatt Dennis. "Last time I saw something like this, it tore down a bunch of houses."

Dennis said he witnessed a dirt road in St. George get completely demolished.

"I was telling my mom we need to get out of the car and take a video," said Dennis.

Several authorities are on the scene of the flooding in areas of Washington County.

"Right now, we're just watching and monitoring," said Stoker. "We've got our police department and fire departments, city crews out watching the water ways making sure we don't have any problems."

Officials say they are concerned with the amount of debris that came through during the flooding. They also say the homes in the area have experienced minimal damage.

Follow D.J. on Twitter @DJBolerjack

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Police say a man experienced a seizure while driving Monday and smashed his SUV into an apartment building in North Salt Lake.

The SUV came within three feet of causing serious injuries. Resident Brian Bennett said the SUV nearly hit him.

"Mom was at the computer and I was at the table. I turned away for five seconds and I looked back," said Bennett. "It was a battering ram coming around the tree. I was sitting three feet away from it."

Bennett was suddenly staring into the headlights of the SUV. He says the driver inside was unconscious and the SUV's tires continued to spin wildly.

Auston Wilson also witnessed the incident and said he spotted the truck speeding towards the apartment building and then smashed into a porch.

"I was upstairs looking through my window," Wilson said. "I watched him take out the tree. I look down and he's having a seizure."

Wilson said the driver was purple and not breathing. He jumped into the back seat of the car, turned off the engine and began to revive the man. After about two minutes, the man was awake and breathing.

"The first thing I say is if you can hear me squeeze my hand and he squeezed my hand," said Wilson.

Neighbors are now cleaning up the incident and taking stock of just how close the SUV came to causing serious injury.

"I almost had my life flash before my eyes. Has that ever happened to you?" said Bennett.

The driver was taken to a nearby hospital and is expected to recover.

Follow Chris on Twitter @jonesnews

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Sandy police are searching for a man they say groped a 14-year-old girl in the middle of the day at a Target store.

Sgt. Dean Carriger said this happened August 7 around 4:00 p.m. An adult man approached two teen girls as they were shopping and talked to them, Carriger said. During this time, police say the man reached down and groped one of them, a 14-year-old.

The man then left the store in a white Dodge 1500 pickup truck, Carriger said. The man is described as white, heavy set, and about 30 to 35 years old.

Carriger said the victim and the man did not know each other.

Anyone with information about this case or knows the whereabouts of the suspect is asked to call Sandy police at 801-799-3000 or leave a tip online at Sandy.utah.gov/police.

By Daniel Woodruff

Follow Daniel on Twitter: @danielmwoodruff

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.

(KUTV) A mountain lion has died after showing up in an Orem neighborhood Monday morning and being captured by wildlife officials.

The mountain lion was found in the area of 900 E. and 400 N. Officials say the animal was about two-years-old and weighed 100 pounds.

After the mountain lion showed up in Orem Monday morning, officers with the Division of Wildlife Resources showed up to tranquilize and capture the animal. The plan was to release the animal back into the wild, but it died before officers could do that.

"By far, most of the time animals do well after the tranquilizer, but this time we had some bad luck," said DWR Officer Scott Root.

Video shot by the DWR shows officers shooting the animal with a tranquilizer dart. The mountain lion immediately jumps a nearby fence, but does not get very far. It was taken into a cage and carried off into a truck. By then, the mountain lion was a awake and seemed to be doing fine, but something went wrong soon after.

Root said most mountain lions that show up on city streets are usually not doing well already. The animal will be tested for an official cause of death, said Root.

By: Christina Flores

Follow Cristina on Twitter @2newsflo

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) 2News captured the flooding at Fort Pearce Wash on in Washington County on video Monday evening.

Watch the video above shot by 2News photographer Ben Pollchik.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A new poll shows that a majority of Utahns oppose same sex marriage by a two-to-one margin.

This result is much different from another recent poll released by the Salt Lake Tribune showing support for same sex marriage was an even split down the middle.

The latest poll which was sponsored by UtahPolicy.com and Zions Bank and conducted by Dan Jones and Associates shows that 61 percent of Utahns oppose gay marriage while 29 percent are in favor.

"So it's a two-to-one margin against same sex marriage," said Bryan Schott, managing editor of UtahPolicy.com.

Schott says he believes this one poll is different because Utahns have had some time to think about the issues that have happened over the last several months.

"The only thing I can think of is Utahns had had some time to chew on this and they realize that a constitutional amendment that they passed overwhelmingly in 2004 is about to go down to defeat," said Schott.

The poll which surveyed 400 likely voters ages 18 and older also found that 62 percent of Utahns support the state's decision to seek a U.S. Supreme Court ruling, but 58 percent believe the state will lose.

"I don't hang my hat to any one poll," said state senator Jim Dabakis, who is gay and doesn't fully trust UtahPolicy.com.

"Utah Policy is owned by a lobbyist and so when I see this big difference between the Utah Policy poll and the poll by BYU and the poll by the [Salt Lake] Tribune which were pretty close, I just wonder was there anything other than the numbers there," said Dabakis.

Schott says the poll was not politically motivated.

"Numbers don't lie. Numbers don't lie,a said Schott. aThis is a very reputable poll. We didn't ask with any agenda, the questions were not leading in any way.a

Dabakis points out that the younger voters are in favor of gay marriage. The poll shows 50 percent of those 18 to 24-years-old support it, while only 9 perecent of those 65 years and older support the measure.

"So we know where the trend is going and it is something that is going to happen and it well should happen," said Dabakis.

To see the complete poll results go to www.utahpolicy.com 

By: Dan Rascon

Follow Dan on Twitter: @DanKUTV

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) The Ice Bucket Challenge is meant to raise awareness for ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease and so far, it has been a tremendous success.

Last year, the ALS Foundation raised $1.8 million. This year, they are nearing $16 million, thanks to social media.

Creighton Rider, who has lived with ALS for seven years, lives each day like it is his last. Rider threw a giant party for all his friends. The party favors were giant orange Home Depot buckets. Each one was filled with water and lots and lots of ice.  Dozens of people showed up for the event, most of which were from his Saints to Sinners bike ride to raise awareness for ALS.

Rider accepted the Ice Bucket Challenge. 

"My name is Creighton Rider," he said. "I have ALS. As of today there is no cure. No way to win this battle."

He was diagnosed seven years ago and the average patient with ALS lives two to five years.

Many watched the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge with amusement on Twitter and Facebook. Stars from Oprah to Taylor Swift and Lebron James have provided a good laugh and helped raise millions for a deadly disease.

"As of today, ALS always wins. There's no way around it, you always lose the battle," Rider said. "Hopefully the more money for research we will be able to level the playing field and a few of us will slide through and survive."

Rider has lost the ability to use both of his arms and can no longer feed himself. He still does what he can, which includes biking tandem with his wife, skiing and hiking.

To help find a cure, Creighton has offered his own Ice Bucket Challenge to his brother, Mark Gardener of the Sports Den and Gov. Mitt Romney. Each of these people have 24 hours to respond.

2News Anchor/Reporter Heidi Hatch also accepted the Ice Bucket Challenge. Watch her participate in the video above.

By: Heidi Hatch

Follow her on Twitter @tvheidihatch

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) The Canyons School District will roll out changes to school security to make buses safer following the alleged sexual abuse by a bus driver earlier this year.

Former bus driver John Carrell is accused of inappropriately touching two preschoolers with special needs on their way to and from Altara Elementary School in Sandy. Prosecutors say the evidence is on bus surveillance cameras.

"This has been absolutely devastating. This news has been terrible, and we're glad to see the justice system moving forward and that justice will be served," said Jennifer Toomer Cook, chief communications officer for the Canyons School District. "We also look at this as an opportunity to say, 'Is there something more that we can do to keep our children safe?'"

The changes require more responsibility from parents or guardians of small children who need "star seats," or five-point seatbelts that cover their shoulders and waist and go between their legs. The parents must buckle their kids in before school and unbuckle them after, or designate another person to do so. Parents may choose their bus driver as their designee.

When on school property, first arriving at school or leaving for the day, a teacher or classroom aide will unbuckle and buckle the students. Any district employee who works overtime while doing so will be compensated, Toomer-Cook said.

The district mailed letters to parents and bus drivers informing them of their responsibilities.

"It's to protect the bus driver so that they're not put in an awkward position," Toomer-Cook said. "And it's to make sure that parents are the ones helping their children."

A long safety loop that has been added to the buckle between the child's legs allows a bus driver to re-buckle the seatbelt with minimal contact, if the child undoes the seatbelt when no other adult is present. In that situation, a bus driver must clasp the seatbelt quickly while verbally explaining the steps to both the child and the cameras.

"If you do something in ten, fifteen seconds, you're not going to be accused of anything," said Sandi Sandall, an assistant trainer for Canyons School District bus drivers.

Sandall said most bus drivers were initially unhappy with surveillance cameras on their buses, but, when they realized the video could clear them of false allegations, they became more comfortable.

The district's information technology department will also spend one hour every day randomly reviewing surveillance video, rather than responding to the occasional request for video after a bus incident.

"The process would be that we randomly select a bus, we randomly select a time that the bus is in route and then we view that footage for anything that stands out," said IT director Scot McCombs.

McCombs has also restructured the surveillance system and plans to add more cameras along with extra video storage.

"On every bus there's at least four cameras. Over the summer we've actually repositioned them as well," McCombs said. "We've taken a lot of time and effort to make sure the coverage on the bus is better and also the time that we're able to see the video is longer."

The district will present the policy changes to the Board of Education on Tuesday night. The new procedures will begin immediately when school starts on Wednesday.

By: Christine McCarthy

Follow Christine on Twitter @ReporterXtine

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A pit bull in Washington County is recovering after being shot in the abdomen by an arrow and is lucky to be alive, thanks to the rescue efforts of a police officer.
Washington County Sheriff's Office Sgt. Kurt Bowen found the dog wandering on Old Highway 91. The dog is named Sarge after his rescuer. 

"As he was driving down the road, he observed a black pit bull type dog that was walking in the center lanes of travel," said Washington County Sheriff's Sgt. David Crouse.

Authorities say this is the third animal this year that has experienced similar violent treatment. Prior to this incident, two cats were shot with blow darts and one died from the injuries.  Deputies still are not sure whether Sarge being shot by an arrow was an accident or a serious case of animal cruelty.

"Charges of animal cruelty could be pending if we find them and can prove intent, that this act was done intentionally," said Sgt. David Crouse with the Washington County Sheriff's Department.

Bowen reported seeing a large wound in the side of Sarge's abdomen as he drove by and later found that he has been shot with an arrow.

"There was some cuts and lesions to the intestinal area, some at the edge of the stomach," said Crouse.

After Sarge underwent more than three hours of surgery, he is now recovering with a foster family.

"I thought somebody has to help this dog, because I'm tired of what people are doing to their animals," said Foster Mom Betsy Kolb.

Kolb and her husband are healing as well after they lost their dog Bella just five months ago. Now, helping Sarge get back on his feet is helping them cope.

"I see so much of our dog in him. It's almost like Bella is speaking to me through him. Weird, I know, but that's how I feel about animals," said Kolb.

It's only been a few days, but with a little medication, sleep and nutrients, Sarge is slowing bouncing back.

"He's been a good healing part. Really wonderful," said Kolb. "But everyday he's gotten better, now he's feisty to the point he doesn't want to take his pills. Not a mean bone in his body."

The foster family is temporary, so right now he's just waiting to find a new home.

By: D.J. Bolerjack

Follow D.J. on Twitter @DJBolerjack

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A Price man is custody on attempted murder charges after running over a man he had an ongoing dispute with.

According to Police, Matthew Alan Thatcher, 32, was driving his Jeep Grand Cherokee down 400 South near 670 East when he noticed the victim riding his bike down the road.

Reports say Thatcher had an ongoing dispute with the victim and decided to seize the opportunity to run him over with the vehicle.

After being knocked to the ground by the first pass, the victim jumped to his feet and attempted to run away. Thatcher allegedly ran over the victim a second time, dragging him a short distance.

The 32-year-old male victim, who has not been identified, was transported to the Castleview Hospital Emergency Room by ambulance. He was treated for serious, but non-life threatening injuries.

Police arrested Thatcher a short time later at his residence.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
FERGUSON, Missouri (CNN) The Ferguson, Missouri, police officer who killed Michael Brown says the teenager rushed at him full speed in the moments before the shooting, according to an account phoned in to a St. Louis radio station and confirmed as accurate by a source with detailed knowledge of the investigation.

According to the account on KFTK, phoned in by a woman who identified herself as "Josie," the altercation began after Officer Darren Wilson rolled down his window to tell Brown and a friend to stop walking in the street.

When Wilson tried to get out of his cruiser, Brown first tried to push the officer back into the car, then punched him in the face and grabbed for his gun before breaking free after the gun went off once, the caller said.

Wilson pursued Brown and his friend, ordering them to freeze, according to the account. When they turned around, Brown began taunting Wilson, saying he would not arrest them, then ran at the officer at full speed, the caller said.

Wilson then began shooting. The final shot was to Brown's forehead, and the teenager fell two or three feet in front of Wilson, said the caller, who identified herself as the officer's friend.

A source with detailed knowledge of the investigation later told CNN the caller's account is "accurate," in that it matches what Wilson has told investigators.

If true, the account represents the first telling of events from the perspective of Wilson, whose shooting of Brown has touched off nightly protests and violence in the suburban St. Louis city.

The news came the same day a spokesman for the St. Louis County prosecuting attorney said that evidence in the shooting death could be presented to a grand jury as early as Wednesday.

The grand jury will hear testimony from witnesses and decide on whether to return an indictment against Wilson, said spokesman Ed McGee, stressing there is "no time line on this case."

In addition to that case, the Justice Department has opened a civil rights investigation into Brown's death. Attorney General Eric Holder will travel to Ferguson this week, to meet with investigators there, according to President Barack Obama.

Earlier Monday, an autopsy conducted for the family of Brown found no evidence that he struggled with Wilson before his death, according to the pathologist in charge of the examination.

Dr. Michael Baden said no signs of a struggle were revealed in his autopsy of Brown's body, conducted after an official examination by the St. Louis County medical examiner's office.

And forensics consultant Shawn Parcells, who assisted Baden, said the findings are consistent with witness reports that Brown may have been shot as he walked away and that he was shot again with his hands up.

Brown family attorney Daryl Parks said he was particularly concerned about gunshots that medical examiners hired by the family indicate came from behind and above.

"Why would he be shot in the very top of his head, a 6-foot-4 man?" Parks asked. "Makes no sense."

The autopsy results are the latest development in the investigation into Brown's death, which has resulted in nightly, sometimes violent, protests in Ferguson that have prompted Missouri's governor to declare a curfew and send in the state National Guard.

"Given these deliberate, coordinated and intensifying violent attacks on lives and property in Ferguson, I am directing the highly capable men and women of the Missouri National Guard ... in restoring peace and order to this community," Gov. Jay Nixon said in a statement. He told reporters the National Guard would have a "limited mission" to protect the command center in Ferguson.

'Nation of laws'

Speaking to reporters Monday, President Obama called for calm in Ferguson, saying that violence undermines, rather than advances justice.

Gunfire, tear gas and Molotov cocktails Sunday night marked some of the fiercest clashes yet between police and protesters furious about the death of the unarmed teenager.

"We have all seen images of protesters and law enforcement in the streets. It's clear that the vast majority of people are peacefully protesting. What's also clear is that a small minority is not," Obama said.

"Let's see some understanding" rather than confrontation, and "let's seek to heal," he added.

"There's no excuse for excessive force by police or any action that denies people the right to protest peacefully. Ours is a nation of laws -- for the citizens who live under them and for the citizens who enforce them," Obama said.

The protests have also gained international attention. U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon issued a statement Monday on the events in Ferguson, saying that he "hopes local and federal investigations will shed full light on the killing" of Brown.

Ban called on authorities to ensure that people are able to assemble peacefully and urged law enforcement to abide by U.S. and "international standards in dealing with demonstrations."

Autopsy findings

The family autopsy found that Brown was shot at least six times, including two shots to his head. Three of the bullets may have re-entered his body, causing additional damage, Baden said.

One wound to his arm was consistent with a witness statement that Brown was walking away and appeared to jerk, as if shot, Parcells said. The wounds to his arm could have also have occurred while he had his hands up, possibly in a defensive posture, Parcells said.

One of the bullets entered his head and came out through his eye; another -- likely the fatal wound, Baden said -- struck Brown on the top of his head and caused irreparable damage to his brain.

Family attorney Benjamin Crump said Brown probably would have been either kneeling or bending forward when he was struck with those bullets.

Brown had abrasions on his face consistent with falling onto the ground, Baden said.

He cautioned that he needs access to autopsy results, including tests on Brown's clothes and X-rays, before making some conclusions.

But Crump said what it already revealed offered more than "ample" evidence to support Wilson's arrest.

"What does this autopsy say? That the witness accounts were true, that he was shot multiple times," Crump told reporters.

Devolution of protests

Another family attorney, Anthony Gray, implored protesters to remain peaceful.

"I can see that there is a very disturbing divide that is developing in our community," he said Monday. "This is not what we initially came to the community and called for."

As he spoke, the Missouri National Guard was preparing to deploy to Ferguson under orders from the governor to restore peace.

Nixon issued the order early Monday after what began as peaceful protests spiraled into disarray after two civilians were shot and injured, Missouri State Highway Patrol Capt. Ron Johnson said. He said those civilians were not shot by police.

"Tonight, a Sunday that started with prayers and messages of unity, peace and justice took a very different turn after dark," Johnson said early Monday.

Some protesters hurled Molotov cocktails at police, and several businesses were vandalized or looted despite the Brown family's call for calm.

"Based on these conditions, I had no alternative but to elevate the level of our response," Johnson said.

Officers fired tear gas into hundreds of protesters, including children, who were marching toward a police command post despite an impending midnight curfew.

Two children were treated and released for exposure to tear gas overnight at St. Louis Children's Hospital, according to a spokeswoman there.

Protester Lisha Williams challenged the notion that protesters provoked officers.

"That is a lie. It was no fight, it was no shots fired," she told CNN late Sunday. "All we did was march to the command center to fall to our knees and say, 'Don't shoot.' And they started shooting."

The clashes kept escalating, with St. Charles County sheriff's officials saying shots were fired in their direction.

At one point, employees at a McDonald's restaurant locked themselves in a storage room after the store was overrun, Johnson said.

Video from CNN affiliate KSDK-TV showed children among the protesters chanting, "Hands up, don't shoot."

St. Louis County police said most of the crowds had dispersed after the curfew went into effect at midnight. The curfew ended at 5 a.m. (6 a.m. ET). According to Gov. Nixon, there will be no curfew in Ferguson on Monday night.

But the anxiety remains. Children can't even go to school.

"Information we received from officials on the scene late Sunday evening has contributed to concerns we have about children walking to school or waiting for buses on streets impacted by this activity," the Ferguson-Florissant School District said on its Facebook page.

Dueling narratives

Accounts of exactly what happened when Wilson stopped Brown while the teen was walking down a street vary widely.

Witnesses said they saw a scuffle between the officer and Brown at the police car before the young man was shot.

Several witnesses said Brown raised his hands and was not attacking the officer.

Piaget Crenshaw said she was sitting in her home when she witnessed the shooting. She captured video of the aftermath, including images of Brown's body lying in the middle of the street.

"From it all initially happening, I knew this was not right," she told CNN's "New Day" on Monday.

"I knew the police shouldn't even have been chasing this young boy and firing at the same time. The fact that he got shot in the face, it was something that clicked in me, like no, somebody else needs to see this. This isn't right. I've got to record."

Crenshaw said Brown was running away from police and then turned around. She said that was when Brown was shot.

But police gave a different narrative, saying Brown struggled with the officer and reached for his weapon.

The officer has stayed out of the public spotlight, and more than 22,000 people have endorsed the "I Support Officer Wilson" Facebook page.

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder has approved another autopsy on Brown's body, the Justice Department said. That autopsy will be conducted by a federal medical examiner.

By Steve Kastenbaum, Holly Yan and Michael Pearson

CNN's Steve Kastenbaum reported from Ferguson; CNN's Holly Yan and Michael Pearson reported and wrote from Atlanta. CNN's Melanie Whitley, Jennifer Duck, Steve Almasy, Dave Alsup, Jim Acosta, Mayra Cuevas, Evan Perez and Joe Sutton contributed to this report.

™ & © 2014 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.
Police say a 27-year-old man who allegedly beat his 5-year-old daughter with a belt and coat hanger in Cottonwood Heights is now facing child abuse charges.

Michael Shaun Hall allegedly beat the girl after reportedly feeding the family dog food from her dinner plate.

“Because of the extensiveness of the amount of bruising on her body, that’s what elevated this from simply a misdemeanor to a felony,” said Cottonwood Heights Police Sgt. Corbett Ford.

Police say the girl had bruising on her back, legs and arms.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) Drones are now off limits in Arches and Canyonlands national parks in southeastern Utah.

Officials say the unmanned aircrafts disrupt wildlife and are an intrusion on visitors looking for tranquility. The National Park Service's office in Moab, Utah, announced the new rule Monday in a news release.

Park officials say they have seen a rapid increase in the use of drones recently. The ban also extends to Hovenweep and Natural Bridges national monuments.

Two large national parks, Grand Canyon in Arizona and Zion in Utah, have already changed their rules to ban drones.

The National Park Service is taking steps to ban drones from 84 million acres of public lands and waterways, saying the unmanned aircraft annoy visitors, harass wildlife and threaten safety.

Photo: MGN/PBS.com
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
(KUTV) The Salt Lake International Airport received three separate reports of lasers being pointed into the cockpits of planes within ten minutes Sunday night.

Two Sky West pilots and a Delta Airlines Pilot say a green laser beam entered their cockpits as they were trying to land at the airport.

Airport officials believe the source of the lasers is about six miles west of the airport. All three planes landed safely at the airport.

Pointing lasers into a plane is a federal offense.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) An inmate who escaped from Salt Lake County Jail on Sunday night is back in custody, according to Sheriff Jim Winder.

Jonathan S. Mize was doing minimum-security garden work around 6:40 p.m., when he jumped over a fence and ran from jail staff, Winder said.

Teddy Sommers, whom officers initially handcuffed and detained, claims Mize approached him on the street and asked to use his cell phone. Sommers said he obliged, unaware of Mize's alleged escape.

"Somebody escaped from jail, I guess, and asked to use my phone, and I let him use my phone," Sommers said. "He called [his girlfriend], and next thing I know, officers are here."

Mize had been in the jail 24 times, Winder said, most recently for false information, identity fraud, retail theft and possession of drugs.

"Good, alert officers," according to Winder, found Mize a block or two from the jail nearly two hours after the escape. There they also arrested four other people for possession of drugs and warrants.

After a search of Mize's property including letters between him and someone outside the jail, investigators believe Mize had been scheming his escape for at least a few days.

"Minimum or medium, any escape from this facility is critical," Winder said.

By: Christine McCarthy

Follow Christine on Twitter @ReporterXtine

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Federal officials are trying to stop desert tortoise breeding in Utah.

Officials say backyard breeding of the turtles is hurting the reptiles who live in the wild.

Initially people have the animals as pets, but once they get too big the tortoises are abandoned.

Federal officials are concerned, because the released pets divert resources from preservation efforts.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A would-be robber attempted to hold up a Salt Lake City coffee shop over the weekend but fled without getting any money, authorities said.

A man entered the Coffee Noir shop, located at 1035 E. and 200 S. in Salt Lake City, just before Noon on Sunday and approached the sales counter carrying a binder, officials said. According to police, he opened the binder and showed the clerk a handwritten note that said "have gun give me money."

The clerk then went into the back and told co-workers about the hold up and the bandit fled westbound on 200 South, police said. He did not get away with any money.

Police say the suspect is in his mid-20s, approximately 6-foot 2-inches with a thin build. He wore a green shirt with jeans and a satchel across his chest. Surveillance video at the coffee shop captured images of the suspect.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Salt Lake City Police at (801) 799-3000.

Photo credit: Salt Lake City Police Department

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Salt Lake City police are searching for the shooter who injured six people in a downtown nightclub on Saturday night.
A man was inside Inferno Cantina at 122 West Pierpont Ave. shortly before midnight when he fired multiple gunshots and then fled, said Det. Cody Lougy.
The suspect hopped into a stolen Cadillac CTS with at least one other person and tried to run over a security guard who then fired his own gun at the vehicle, Lougy said.
"This is a very scary situation. Scary for everybody involved," Lougy said. "That club Inferno was packed with people, so you can imagine the panic in the room when the shots were being fired and people were going down."
Six people were treated for minor to serious injuries. All of the victims are expected to survive.
The University of Utah placed its emergency room on lockdown while treating some of the victims.
Police found the stolen vehicle abandoned in an industrial area early Sunday morning.
Investigators hope surveillance video will help identify the suspect.
Police have not released a possible motive or relationship among any of the victims.

By: Christine McCarthy

Follow Christine on Twitter @ReporterXtine

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
UPDATE: The missing hunter has been found in good condition, crews are thanking everyone that aided with rescue efforts.

(KUTV) Search and rescue crews are back on the scene near Rich County attempting to locate a missing hunter.

Police say the 70-year-old man was camping near Curtis Creek campground when he left the campsite to go hunting Sunday morning. Witnesses say he had two bottles of water with him when he left.

When he didn't return for lunch his companions called authorities for assistance locating him. Crews from Rich County and Cache County responded and searched until dark, but postponed the search till daybreak on Monday.

Early Monday morning search dogs and a helicopter were brought into the area to intensify their efforts.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) The woman who drank chemical filled tea at a Dickey’s Barbecue is showing some improvements.

According to the Salt Lake Tribune, Jan Harding started speaking Sunday. Her voice is strained, but it is improving.

Harding was sickened Sunday, August 10 when she drank sweet tea accidentally mixed with grill gleaner.

Police are waiting to see how Harding recovers before making any arrests.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A man and woman were rescued after becoming stuck on a cliff during a hike in Little Cottonwood Canyon Sunday.

The couple used a cell phone to call for help, saying they could not move up or down on the cliff. A helicopter shuttled rescuers to the summit to reach the stranded couple.

Unified Police say the couple is safe and rescuers are escorting them down the mountain.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) More than 6,000 riders spent their Sunday honoring those who lost their lives while protecting and serving.

The eighth annual Ride for Fallen Officers began at the Timpanogos Harley Davidson in Lindon and wrapped up at the Utah State Capitol.

"This is near and dear to my heart," said Bruce Clements, a retired deputy of 32 years with the Salt Lake County Sheriff's Office. "I just feel a moral obligation."

Clements rode to the Capitol and stopped to salute those who died for their community.

Speaking to a crowd of supporters at the Capitol, Nannette Wride, widow of Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Cory Wride, thanked the community.

Wride was killed while on duty on January 30, 2014.

"Our husbands aren't going to be forgotten, number one. And number two, we're not forgotten," she said.
"It's so amazing and so positive."

Desirae Payne, the sister of slain Draper police Sgt. Derek Johnson, also extended her gratitude.

"I've been blessed with the death of a loved one, so that I truly can appreciate all of you standing here next to me," Payne said.
Both men's names are on plaques cemented forever on the Law Enforcement Memorial Honor Wall, under the words "in valor there is hope."

By: Christine McCarthy

Follow Christine on Twitter @ReporterXtine

Photo credit: Matt Michela

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A C-130 declared an inflight emergency and performed an emergency landing at Hill Air Force Base Sunday around 1 p.m.

There were six people on-board the aircraft owned by the 153rd Air Refueling Wing with the Wyoming Air National Guard, but no injuries were reported. The aircrew was conducting fire-fighting missions and was scheduled to arrive at Hill AFB to refuel and resupply.

2News will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Police are searching for a 67-year-old male with severe dementia who walked away from the Little Cottonwood Rehabilitation Center around 2 p.m. Sunday.

An “Endangered Missing Advisory” has been put into play for James Wallace Patterson. Patterson was last seen around 11 a.m. at the facility.

Patterson is a white male, 5 foot f inches, 132 pounds, white hair, wearing a khaki hat, yellow and white shirt, khaki short pants, white socks with red “H” and gray shoes. The man has severe dementia and may appear to be lost or confused. Patterson is known to talk about looking for work.

If anyone sees Patterson or knows his whereabouts, you are asked to call South Salt Lake Police Dispatch at 801-840-4000.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.).

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A father was arrested Wednesday, August 14 after being accused of beating his five-year-old child after she gave some of her dinner to the family dog.

Cottonwood Heights police say Michael Hall, 27, was having dinner with his five-year-old daughter in July when the incident occurred.

"While she was with her dad, he was feeding her dinner and apparently she didn't like it. She gave some food from the table to the dog," Sgt. Corbett Ford said.

Police say Hall decided to physically discipline the child.

"His way of correcting her behavior was with a belt and a hanger," Ford said.

The girl's mother noticed severe bruising on the girl after picking up the child from a custody visit with Hall.

The mother took the girl to Primary Children's Hospital to have her evaluated and police were called to investigate. Investigators obtained medical records, interviewed the child and arrested Hall for felony child abuse on Wednesday.

After being arrested, Hall told investigators he became upset with the girl and spanked her with a leather belt. He told them "I personally feel like it was too much," according to charging documents.

Police say not all physical discipline is illegal, but in this case it certainly was.

"This is a case that far overreaches the boundaries of discipline," Ford said. "When it gets to the point where you are leaving bruises and marks, that's abusive behavior."

Ford said parents who have questions about disciplining their children can receive help from Salt Lake County Youth Services and the Youth Receiving Center, which offers free family-crisis counseling, referrals and short term placement for youth.

The case is continuing to be investigated by police and Utah Child & Family Services.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Hundreds of people in Syracuse, Utah came together Saturday evening to honor Marli Hamblin, the 15-year-old girl killed in a tragic accident.

The teen was run over last Friday in her driveway while she was sunbathing and listening to her iPod. She died Sunday.

On Saturday evening, the Syracuse High School cheer squad put on a fundraiser to help the family pay medical bills. Marli had made the school cheer team.

The event also gave the girl's friends and family the chance to celebrate the life of a girl with an infectious personality and big smile.

Lonica Jacobson was one of Marli's best friends. They knew each other since they were toddlers. Together with four other friends, they called themselves the "Sassy Six."

Lonica said Marli was always the life of the party.

"It was just really shocking and surprising," said Lonica about news of Marli's accident. "No one saw it coming."

"It's still kind of hard to understand that it's happening," added Keyera Taylor, a fellow cheerleader.

Marli's high school cheerleading coach, Stefanie Bowen, said this year's squad definitely feels a void.

"She was an amazing cheerleader," said Bowen. "She was very dedicated and very positive."

"I think about her every single day, and I don't think it's going to change for a while," said fellow cheerleader Tristen Watts.

At Saturday's event, cheerleaders sold t-shirts, wristbands, and balloons to launch in Marli's memory.

Scattered throughout the Syracuse park where the event took place were the words, "Marli's Miracles."

Once, that miracle meant her recovery. Now, it means something different "Marli's Miracle came from Marli donating her organs and her miracle living on through others," said Bowen.

Soon, Marli's friends will start school. They realize this year will bring--in some ways--a feeling of emptiness. But they also want to carry on in a way that would make their best friend proud.

"We know she's with her Heavenly Father, and she's happy, and she's watching over us right now," said Lonica.
Marli's family also attended Saturday's event. Many people surrounded them to cry together and offer hugs and support.

Marli's funeral will take place Monday.

By Daniel Woodruff

Follow Daniel on Twitter: @danielmwoodruff

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) The state health department has secured a $1 million grant from federal officials to tackle Utah's problem with prescription drug overdoses.

Jenny Johnson of the Utah Department of Health says the state will use the money to improve a state database that tracks prescriptions, and evaluate the effectiveness of two new laws aimed at preventing overdose deaths.

Data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show Utah has the fifth-highest rate of drug overdose deaths in the country. State figures show an average of 21 adults die monthly in Utah from prescription drug overdose. Oxycodone, methadone and hydrocodone are the main culprits.

The center this week announced its giving $6 million in grants to Utah and four other states: Kentucky, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and West Virginia.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
(KUTV) Salt Lake City police are searching for the suspect who shot a man at a house party on Saturday night.

The shooting happened at a house at 952 Navajo St.  Police say the homeowner was trying to ask uninvited guests to leave when he got into an argument with a stranger. The two agreed to take the altercation outside. After the stranger lost the fight, he was handed a gun and shot the homeowner in the leg. Emergency crews arrived on scene and rushed the homeowner to the hospital in serious condition.

A search is underway for a heavy-set Indian or Hispanic man in his late teens to early 20's, who was wearing a gray shirt and black pants.

If you have any information concerning the shooting, please contact Salt Lake City police.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) The "Ice Bucket Challenge" has gone viral and BYU Football Coach Bronco Mendenhall took the challenge Thursday.

Mendenhall challenged more than a dozen local media members, including all of the members of the KUTV Sports staff.

Watch Dave Fox take the Ice Bucket Challenge--he passes it on to his co-anchors, Shuana Lake, Mark Koelbel and Sterling Poulson.

The Ice Bucket Challenge began as a effort to raise ALS awareness, to learn more about the challenge visit: bit.ly/YluJLi

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) This year, Salt Lake Police brought their Christmas "Shop with a Cop" tradition to back to school shopping.

Fifty kids from around Salt Lake paired with an officer and shopper for new clothes, shoes and other school supplies at Target.

"Children shouldn't be afraid of the police," said Michael Tuttle, Salt Lake Police Association President. "Nobody should be afraid of the police. We're here to enforce the rules and help people."

The majority of money spent came through fund raising. All 50 officers donated their time.

Organizers hope to involve even more kids next year.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Utah’s unemployment rate has increased for the first time in five months.

A new report from the Department of Workforce Services says the July rate bumped up to 3.6 percent, a tenth of a percent higher than June. About 51,000 Utahans are looking for work.

Despite the increase, Utah is still well below the national unemployment rate of 6.2 percent.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) McCormick has issued a recall of their ground oregano due to possible Salmonella risk.

The recall is for 0.75 ounce bottles, UPC 0-523561-6 with code dates ‘BEST BY AUG 21 16 H and AUG 22 16 H.’ The recall does not affect any other McCormick Ground, Whole or Oregano Leaves products.

No illnesses have been reported in connection with this problem.

McCormick has alerted customers and grocery outlets to remove affected products from shelves and distribution centers.

Consumers are urged to dispose of the recalled product and its container.

The potential risk was brought to McCormick’s attention during a routine FDA testing.

Contact McCormick Consumer Affairs for a replacement or full refund, and with any questions at 1-800-632-5847.
(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A man is in the hospital after an accidental shooting near Lagoon.

Police say two men were showing each other a loaded gun inside a motor home at the Lagoon Campground late Friday night.

While they were looking at the gun it went off and hit the 45-year-old man who is now in the hospital.

His injuries are not life-threatening.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A missing hiker was found dead in Little Cottonwood Canyon Saturday morning.

Andrew Sharp, 35, asked a friend to pick him up at the White Pine Trailhead at 2:30 p.m. but never arrived. The friend called Unified Police Department for help.

Sharp was hiking alone and his vehicle was found near in the Albion Basin area.

UPD and the Department of Public Safety helicopter searched the area all afternoon and through the night until it became too dangerous to search.

They continued searching at 7:00 a.m. Saturday and found Sharp deceased at the bottom of a cliff around 8:00 a.m.

Sharp was flown off the mountain by helicopter and will undergo an autopsy at the Medical Examiner's Office.

UPD is investigating the death. Sharp was a resident of the Salt Lake Valley.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A cat was found dead and mutilated in Springdale, Utah and the Humane Society and cat’s owner are each offering a $2,500 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of person(s) responsible.

The Zion’s Veterinary Clinic in Hurricane confirmed that Sherry Teresa’s 11 year old cat, Khepri, was killed by a human and not a wild animal.

“What happened to this poor cat, a member of someone’s family, is despicable,” said Gene Baierschmidt, HSU Executive Director. “We will never stand idle when we hear of cases like this and we hope that by increasing the reward to a total of $5,000 we will help bring justice for Khepri and Sherry Theresa.”

The person(s) responsible could face third degree felony charges, prison for up to five years, and/or a $5,000 fine. A civil case could also be filed against the culprit to recover the value of the cat and associated veterinary costs.

If anyone has information regarding this case call the Springdale Police at 435-772-3434. You can also contact John Fox, the HSU Animal Cruelty investigator at 801-261-2919.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) One person is in critical condition following a motorcycle crash in Taylorsville.

A 24-year-old man was riding a bullet bike on 4500 S. Witnesses say the man ran a red light and was hit by a car making a left turn.

The victim flew several feet off his bike. Emergency crews rushed him to the hospital in extremely critical condition, with leg and head injuries.

Police say the man was not wearing a helmet.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) A woman who unknowingly drank iced tea laced with an industrial cleaning solution at a Utah restaurant has whispered and gotten out of bed, her lawyer said Saturday.

The progress marks the first sign of improvement for Jan Harding since the 67-year-old was rushed to a hospital nearly a week ago with severe burns to her mouth and throat, according to family attorney Paxton Guymon.

The heavy-duty cleaner that ended up in the sweetened iced tea Harding drank Sunday at a Dickey's Barbecue in a Salt Lake City suburb was unintentionally mixed into a bag of sugar, which a worker later added into the iced tea dispenser, authorities have said.

Harding's breathing tube has been removed, and she was doing well without it, Guymon said in an email.

She had not been able to speak in days, nor had she been on her feet before standing briefly with the help of nurses, according to Guymon. "Everyone is more optimistic today," he wrote. "Any such sign of improvement is good news."

Her husband and their three adult children have been at her bedside, praying for her recovery from the deep, ulcerated burns in her upper esophagus that have left her in critical condition at a Salt Lake City hospital.

The cleaning product is meant for degreasing deep fryers and contains the odorless chemical lye, the active ingredient in drain cleaners.

South Jordan Cpl. Sam Winkler said police are waiting to see what happens with Harding's condition before moving forward with any arrests or charges.

Dickey's Barbecue Restaurants Inc. said in a statement late Friday that it was an isolated incident and nothing like it had happened in the 73 years the Dallas-based chain has operated.

"There is nothing more important to us than the trust and safety of our guests," the statement said, adding that the franchise owner, John Thomson, was deeply saddened and is cooperating with authorities.

Police have determined Harding was the only victim, Winkler said. It appears she was the first to drink the tea, and Dickey's employees disposed of it after she was burned, he said.

The establishment remains open after county health officials inspected it and found all chemicals properly labeled and separated from food items.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
TACOMA, Wash. (AP) A judge is refusing to dismiss a wrongful-death lawsuit brought against Washington state by the maternal grandparents of Josh Powell's children.

Chuck and Judy Cox, the parents of Josh Powell's missing wife, Susan, say in a lawsuit that state social workers did not do enough to keep the boys safe from their father.

When a state worker delivered 7-year-old Charlie and 5-year-old Braden to Powell's home in 2012 for what was supposed to be a supervised visit, Powell locked out the worker and ignited a fire that killed him and his sons.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) The Duchesne County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the death of an individual who fell from the top of a moving car.

The sheriff's office called Utah Highway Patrol to 2997 W. 8000 S. around 5:30 a.m. to assist with the incident.

Two people were driving in a vehicle when the passenger decided to climb out of the window and on top of the moving car. He fell from the top and was killed.

The driver of the vehicle was arrested for a DUI. UHP suspects the passenger was also drunk.

The sheriff's office is investigating the death and UHP the DUI.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Passengers are in good condition after a rollover accident in Farmington.

The accident occurred at milepost 324 near Park Lane on SB I-15.

Hospital transport is unlikely. Two lanes are shutdown.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.

Featured on KUTV

Quick Links Mentioned On 2News

Click For More Links
Web Poll

News Photo Gallery - View More

Weather Photo Gallery - View More

Advertise with us!
TV Freedom

Trending on Social Media

Sponsored content


Pay It Forward
Fresh Living
Family Matters
Road Trippin
Hooked On Utah

Advertise with us!