Featured Videos 2News Tipline Traffic Tipline






Top Stories

PROVO, Utah (AP and KUTV) Provo Mayor John Curtis says federal authorities have joined the hunt and a $5,000 reward has been posted in efforts to find one or more arsonists responsible for a series of fires in Utah County.

Provo firefighters doused three more fires early Tuesday, bringing the total number of apparent arson cases in the area to 10 since March 13.

The mayor says federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agents are working with Provo fire investigators.

Provo Fire Capt. Dean York says fire marshals from around Utah County met Tuesday to address what he calls a county-wide problem.

Tuesday's pre-dawn fires in southwest Provo included one near a vacant home, one involving a car and one in a pile of tree trimmings.

Provo City has set up a hotline for tips on the serial arsonist. Anyone with information is asked to 801-852-7400.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed
Update: More than 12,000 people in the Salt Lake City and Summit County areas are without power Wednesday morning as a result of high winds and pole fires. Crews have worked through the night and continue to work to restore to all affected customers.

Due to damage of two transmission lines that provide power to Summit County, Rocky Mountain Power has initiated rotating outages to help minimize the impact to all customers in the area. The outages are currently affecting an additional 3,500 customers in Summit County. The outages are expected to rotate in hourly intervals throughout the day as repairs are made.

(KUTV) Rocky Mountain Power and fire crews stayed busy overnight and throughout Wednesday morning battling several power pole fires and outages across the valley.

The windstorm knocked out several poles, including one at 4238 S. Redwood Road in Taylorsville - and Redwood remains closed in that area.

Thousands of people were without power during the night - and Rocky Mountain Power worked through the night to restore.

2,400 remain without power in West Valley with no estimated restoration time.

In Salt Lake and South Salt Lake nearly 1,300 people remain in the dark with no estimate for restoration.

In Ogden 550 customers were without power in one area and around 2,200 in another. Power in Ogden is expected to be restored by 7:00am.

Click here for updates on the outages.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)
(KUTV) Shaun Cowley went before a commission Wednesday morning where things quickly heated up. Lawyers for both sides battled over paperwork and witnesses – resulting in the session being postponed.

Watch the video above for more.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)
(KUTV) A real scare for dozens of families as a quick moving wind storm topples over trees, power lines, and even semi-trucks.

"Next thing I know I hear a crash," said Bryan Patnodd as he saw his neighbors huge pine tree come crashing down on top of their house in the Sugar House area around 1700 South and 1700 East.  "Oh yeah, it was scary -- there was just so much dust and wind and debris flying."

Fortunately for the Radcliff family that lives in the home, the massive tree in their front yard didn't come through the roof or break its way into the home.  "Surprise, a huge surprise. It's shocking," said Melissa Radcliff who wasn't at home at the time her tree fell. "I'm just happy everybody is safe."

But the trees were not the only problem, the winds also tipped over semi-trucks near Tremonton causing one of the drivers to go to the hospital in serious condition.

It also sent power lines crashing to the ground like right outside Karen Siirola's home in the Millcreek area. "Power zapping on and off," said Siirola. "And both trees started on fire."

The wind burst also sent power lines crashing to the ground at 5600 South and 900 East in Murray. One of the lines actually landed on top of someone's car. "Luckily for that gentleman he did the right thing. He stayed inside his insulated vehicle, nobody was hurt, we were lucky this time," said Sgt. Devan Higgins. He added "Could have been a lot worse."

By: Dan Rascon

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)
(KUTV) A cardiac nurse at the University of Utah Hospital is on paid administrative leave after he made racist comments on social media sites Monday night. 

Todd Shrum, in reaction to the shooting of a Tongan man at the new federal court house in downtown Salt Lake City on Monday, commented on the 2News Facebook page saying, "Tongan Trash -- Kill Them All." 

The reaction from the Tongan community was swift and angry, "If he's a racist idiot who likes to spew out racism then he needs to own up to it," says Akesa Fuapau of Glendale.  Fuapau says she is concerned that Shrum, a nurse, may not provide the same quality of care to all races.

Chris Nelson, spokesman for the University of Utah Healthcare, says there is no indication that Shrum has provided poor care to minorities during his time as a nurse.  Shrum, however has been placed on paid administrative leave, and the U is investigating, it is possible that Shrum could lose his job, "Absolutely, that is absolutely on the table and we will make a decision on that in the next couple of days," says Nelson.

As for Shrum, he was eager to talk with 2News' Chris Jones about his comments, "poor choice of words Chris; very, very incredibly poor choice of words.  I meant no ill will towards the Tongan race whatsoever," says Shrum.

He goes on to say he is not racist at all, but his personal page is littered with negative comments about Muslims, Hispanics, and African Americans.  An example of this is his comments on a story concerning Muslims in Britain, Shrum posted, "KILL ALL The stinking Muzzies in the UK. Your problem will go away."  Also consider his reaction to a story about undocumented immigrants, saying, "Send all the illegals back to Mexico, then nuke Mexico, tired of all the worthless wet back trash stinking up this great country."  Another disturbing post by Shrum was directed toward an African American woman involved in an assault in a predominantly black city in Illinois, "Typical black liberal trash --They need to bomb East Saint Louis nothing but welfare trash there"

We pressed Shrum about his posts in an interview Tuesday -

Chris Jones: "We've some of your other Facebook posts,"
Todd Shrum: " Yes, yes."
CJ: "Wetback?
TS: "Stupidity, stupidity, in its highest form."
CJ: "Some people might say that's not stupidity, that's in your DNA, that's' how you think."
TS: No sir, I disagree."
CJ: "Why's that?"
TS: "I just know who I am and that's not who I am."

What Shrum might be very soon is, unemployed.  The U says firing him is very much a possibility.

By: Chris Jones

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)
(KUTV) Ten people made it out of a house fire safely thanks to police who were able to quickly arrive on scene.

Crews were called around 4:10am Wednesday morning to 4460 W. 4865 S. Police happened to be looking for a suspect in the area at the same time and noticed the home on fire.

Two separate families occupied the home. Firefighters were able to pull all 10 people - and a dog - out of the building. No injuries were reported.

Officials say the fire was likely coming from the attic. The scene remains under investigation.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)
(KUTV) A teenage boy is in the hospital after crashing his car into a house on Redwood Road Tuesday night.

The accident happened around 7:00pm at 532 N. Redwood Road in Salt Lake City.

Officers say a male juvenile driver veered off the road and into the home.  No one was hurt inside the house and the driver was taken to the hospital in critical condition.

The case remains under investigation.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)
(KUTV) Officers arrested a Utah mother who admitted to using drugs while pregnant.

Doctors had to perform an emergency C-section on Crystal Ramsey at 39 weeks and believe meth may have affected the baby’s health.

Ramsey told police she is an addicted and couldn’t stop taking meth.

She’s now facing felony child abuse charges.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

(KUTV) - Approaching its 10th year, the Autism of Council of Utah held its annual meeting Wednesday at the Utah State Capitol. One-by-one, parents with children on the autism spectrum introduced themselves to a room filled with educators, graduate students, and mental health experts. "We need more involvement with people who have autism," said council member Laura Anderson. "We need to have the people who we are serving involved in decisions."

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1 in 68 U.S. children has an autism spectrum disorder. This is a 30% increase from just two years ago according to their report released just last month. Numbers show that Utah has some of the highest rates of autism in the country.

During Wednesdayas meeting, members from the Autism Council of Utah advocate the need to do more outreach in the community. "We will fail if we donat collaborate," said Anderson.

Speaker Melisa Genaux says more and more businesses are seeking out people with autism. "Businesses are starting to see autism as an asset for their company," said Genaux. According to an article in the Wall Street Journal, SAP and Freddie Mac are actively recruiting workers who fall on the spectrum to fill specific roles at their companies.

Jared Stewart from Scenic View Academy talked about his own personal experiences with autism. Stewart was diagnosed with autism when he was an adult. "Autism is not a death sentence," said Stewart. "People with autism can be widely successful if they are accepted for who they are." Stewart is a graduate of Brigham Young University and also teaches at Utah Valley University.

In the last 12 months, the Autism Council of Utah distributed $50,000 in grant money to local organizations. The money came from donations and community events including a golf tournament.

For more information on the Autism Council of Utah, visit: www.autismcouncilofutah.org.

By: Carla Pruitt

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcast Group)
(KUTV)" Keys to Success" is back and this time we are giving one lucky student a Fiat 500! Congrats to Annika Dean from Judge Memorial High School!

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

(KUTV) The families of missing Utah mom Susan Cox Powell and her husband Josh Powell continue to battle it out in court over the deceased couple’s trust

In court papers obtained by the Salt Lake Tribune, lawyers for the Powell family say Chuck and Judy Cox have made contradicting statements about whether Susan is alive.

The families are both trying to gain access to the couple’s trust, which is supposed to be split by both families in the event that the family dies. Josh Powell killed himself and the couple’s two sons in 2012.

The couple’s trust is worth about $3.5-million.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) Utah State Parks will hold a re-opening celebration next month at Willard Bay State Park's North Marina, which has been closed since a fuel spill last year.

Officials say the May 24 event at the northern Utah park will run from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and include music, food and educational booths.

Earlier this year, state officials approved a $5.35 million settlement with Chevron over the pipeline leak, which released about 20,000 gallons of diesel fuel.

Officials say that in addition to clean up after the spill, the park has received new wildlife habitat, restored nature trails and additional parking.

The park, located 12 miles northwest of Ogden, is one of the state's busiest, attracting about 350,000 visitors last year.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
(KUTV) Thursday on 2News – A simple unpaid speeding ticket spirals out of control. 2News shows you the devastating consequences after a Utah man says police officers refused to listen

Tune in Thursday at 10pm #LiveonKUTV2

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)
(KUTV) The fight over the University of Utah's school song reached a boiling point Tuesday, and the verdict is the lyrics of the controversial song will likely change.

Student government passed a resolution about possibly changing the 'Utah Man' song. Some students say the words "A Utah man am I" are patriarchal and non-inclusive of the entire student body, others don't see a problem.

The student body passed a joint resolution that strongly encourages the university to change some words of the song.
(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)
JINDO, South Korea (CNN) Divers retrieved yet more bodies from the sunken South Korean ferry Sewol on Wednesday as hopes of finding survivors faded on news that rescuers haven't found any air pockets inside the ship.

South Korean officials have continued to call their operation a search and rescue mission. But rescuers sent into the cold, murky waters of the Yellow Sea haven't found a single survivor since 174 people were rescued the day the ship sank one week ago.

All rescuers have found are bodies -- 157 at last count Wednesday night. Another 145 remain missing, authorities said.

Many of the bodies pulled from the ferry have come from bedrooms on the capsized ship's fourth deck, according to Ko Myung-suk, a spokesman for the joint task force coordinating the search.

Divers had expected to find passengers inside the third-floor cafeteria but failed to find any, the South Korean coast guard said.

No air pockets have been found on either deck, authorities said.

Divers still have many rooms to search, authorities said.

Students remembered

Grief over the sinking has spread across the Korean Peninsula. Even South Korea's nemesis, North Korea, sent condolences Wednesday.

More than two-thirds of those on board the ferry were students from Danwon High School in Ansan, an hour's drive south of Seoul. They were on a field trip to a popular vacation island.

On Wednesday, some of their faces stared out from photos amid a huge bank of white flowers at a basketball area in Ansan that has been converted into a temporary memorial.

A permanent memorial is being planned for a park in Ansan.

Hundreds of people filed through the memorial Wednesday, passing about 50 large wreaths on their way to the wall of flowers and pictures.

Somber music played as visitors, including friends and relatives, passed quietly among the tributes. Some wept.

One man, from Seoul, has no ties to the school but came to grieve for the young lives lost.

"I have a daughter," the man told CNN's Nic Robertson. "I think of her alone in black waters. It's just so terrible. I'm angry that I couldn't do anything. So helpless."

The disaster has taken a devastating toll on the high school, where classes are due to resume Thursday.

The school is missing most of its sophomores and a vice principal who was rescued from the ferry but found dead two days after the sinking. He'd apparently hanged himself from a tree.

Lee Seung-min, 17, said one of her closest girlfriends is among the missing. She said she still holds out hope that her friend will return despite the increasingly slim chances of finding survivors.

Before the field trip, the two girls had talked about what universities they might attend, she said.

Crew members arrested

Investigators, meanwhile, are trying to establish what happened to make the ship list before finally capsizing and sinking into the ocean.

Prosecutors said Wednesday that investigators had searched the offices of the ferry operator, Chonghaejin Marine. The home of the company's owner also was searched, prosecutors said.

The captain, Lee Joon-seok, and 10 crew members have been arrested. Some of them are facing criminal charges.

Questions remain over the decisions Lee and some of his crew made as the crisis unfolded. They have been criticized for not getting more people off the ferry sooner, although the captain has said he was worried about the cold water, strong currents and lack of rescue vessels.

They have also drawn public anger for leaving the ship while many passengers remained stuck on board.

Adding to the perception of chaos on board the sinking vessel, it emerged Tuesday that the first distress call from the ferry came not from the crew, but from a student using a cell phone to contact emergency services from aboard the sinking ship.

By Michael Pearson, Steven Jiang and Andrew Stevens

CNN's Michael Pearson reported and wrote from Atlanta. CNN's Steven Jiang reported from Jindo, and Andrew Stevens reported from Ansan. CNN's Jethro Mullen, K.J. Kwon, Kyung Lah, Tim Schwarz, Larry Register and Judy Kwon also contributed to this report.


™ & © 2014 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.
(CNN) Australian officials say an "object of interest" in the search for the missing Malaysia Airlines plane has been found, but Malaysian authorities said it was too early to tell if it is a real lead.

Australian Transport Safety Bureau Chief Commissioner Martin Dolan described the object as appearing to be sheet metal with rivets and said it was recovered on the coast of Western Australia.

"It's sufficiently interesting for us to take a look at the photographs," he said. "We take all leads seriously."

At a news conference Wednesday, Hishammuddin Hussein, Malaysia's acting transport minister, said that his country has not received any photos from Australia and that so far, all of the objects found in the search have not been related to the missing plane.

Even the Australians expressed caution.

"The more we look at it, the less excited we get," Dolan said.

The object was picked up near Augusta, about 300 kilometers (186 miles) south of Perth, a source with the Australian Defence Force told CNN.

The source also described the object as having rivets on one side with what appears to be a fiberglass coating.

When asked about the shape and scale of the object, the source described it as "kind of rectangular," but torn and misshapen.

The source said it was too difficult to estimate the size because they had only seen one photo with no clear scale.

The object of interest is in the custody of a police agency in Western Australia. Authorities there wouldn't comment further because it's part of a federal investigation.

Underwater search nearly done

A high-tech underwater drone was completing its 10th mission Wednesday, without finding any sign of the Boeing 777 jetliner.

The Bluefin-21 has scanned about 80% of the intended territory.

With 20% of the search area left to be explored by the drone, the search strategy remains the same, Hishammuddin said Wednesday.

"We will continue with the search operation until we fully cover the search area," he said.

Stormy weather postponed the air search for a second day Wednesday. The ships plying the waters off the coast of Australia kept their vigil.

And despite the search efforts for MH370 repeatedly coming up empty during these 47 days, there's no suggestion the hunt in the southern Indian Ocean is anywhere close to ending.

Quite to the contrary, according to Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott.

"We are not going to abandon ... the families of the 239 people who were on that plane by lightly surrendering while there is reasonable hope of finding something," he said Wednesday. "We may well rethink the search, but we will not rest until we have done everything we can to solve this mystery."

The investigation into Flight 370 is the responsibility of Malaysia. But in early April, Australia accepted an invitation from Malaysia to lead the search for the missing aircraft and participate in the investigation as an accredited representative.

What comes next?

Malaysian and Australian authorities are already mapping out a long-term strategy for the search, which could go on for months or years, if the two-year search for Air France Flight 447 is any guide.

Guidelines drafted by Malaysia raise the possibility of a significantly wider search area should the current underwater search fail to turn up evidence of the plane. The document discusses how best to deploy resources, including new underwater search assets.

If the underwater search comes up empty, it could ground the air search as well, CNN aviation analyst Miles O'Brien said.

"If it doesn't pan out, then all the equations that have been put in the mix to determine where debris might be by hindcasting the ocean currents, all of that is for naught," he said.

The next logical step after the underwater search is to "rethink all of the information we have at hand," ocean search specialist Rob McCallum told CNN.

An expanded search area might include the last 370 miles of the plane's flight path, perhaps 15 miles on either side, he said.

He also said it would make sense to turn to deep-towed sonar, which provides less resolution than the Bluefin-21 but about 10 times the range.

What happens if data recorders are found

Investigators would love to find the flight data recorders from Flight 370, a potential treasure trove of information into what happened to the jetliner and the 239 passengers and crew on board.

If found, the "black boxes" probably would go to the Australian Transport Safety Board's accident investigation lab.

But the investigation is officially Malaysian, so that country's officials would decide where the boxes would go.

Australia is just one of a handful of countries that have the capability and technical know-how to decipher what's inside a black box.

The Malaysian Cabinet approved the appointment of an international investigation team to look into the disappearance of Flight 370, Hishammuddin said.

The names of the members will be announced next week, he added. He also said the team will not be looking at the criminal aspects of the investigation, which remain under the Royal Malaysian Police.

"The main purpose is to evaluate and determine the cause of the accident," Hishammuddin said.

Malaysia has completed a preliminary report on the incident, as required by the International Civil Aviation Organization, but has not released it publicly, he said.

Getting the data

Sometimes, getting the data is simple.

"A lot of our work is with undamaged recorders, and it's very easy to download them much as you would a USB memory stick," said Neil Campbell, an Australian transport safety investigator with more than two decades of experience.

But the process becomes much more technical if the recorders are damaged.

In the case of water damage, possible after weeks at the bottom of the ocean, Campbell will rinse the board very carefully, then use a water displacement liquid, before drying out the circuit board in an oven. That process can take a couple of days.

After that, it's a process of downloading the raw data and decoding the information, or in the case of the voice recorder, listening to what was said.

It may be the only way the families of those on board the March 8 flight -- that set off from the Malaysian capital of Kuala Lumpur destined for Beijing -- may get answers to the questions they've been asking.

"There's a satisfaction in working out what happened with the accident and the conclusions, and the closure that that brings," Campbell said.

By Ed Payne and Mariano Castillo

CNN's David Molko contributed to this report.


™ & © 2014 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.
LAS VEGAS (AP) An 18-year-old Utah woman has been sentenced to three to 12 years in prison for leaving the scene of a crash that hurt eight pedestrians outside a North Las Vegas storefront church last summer.

The Las Vegas Sun reports that Nyakueth Tear cried softly at sentencing Tuesday by Clark County District Court Judge James Bixler.

Tear pleaded guilty Feb. 12 to driving away after hitting people late Aug. 8 outside Iglesia de Cristo on Losee Road.

A 54-year-old man was critically hurt and a pregnant woman was among seven others injured.

Tear admitted stopping and then trying to drive away before crashing and running toward Interstate 15.

Her lawyer, Ronald Paulson, says the punishment was too harsh. He says Tear was never in trouble before.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
(CNN) Calling their grit, resiliency and sense of community an inspiration to all Americans, President Barack Obama promised Tuesday that those impacted by last month's deadly landslide in Washington won't be forgotten -- least of all by the federal government.

Speaking in Oso, a small community about 60 miles northeast of Seattle that was ground zero for disaster, Obama outlined the ways the government has already helped and will continue to do so. He said that he wanted to visit the area to show support for "families who are searching for loved ones (and) families who have lost everything."

"I just wanted to let you know that the country is thinking about all of you, and have throughout this tragedy," the President said. "We're not going anywhere. We'll be here as long as it takes."

Obama spoke exactly one month after the rain-saturated hillside along the Stillaguamish River gave way, unleashing walls of mud that swallowed up roads and homes in and around Oso.

First responders, Washington National Guard members and volunteers quickly converged on the traumatic scene, digging through mud, logs and debris 70 feet thick in some places hoping to find the missing.

Authorities on Monday put the death toll from the landslide at 41, though that number could rise as the search continues.

The President noted that while few knew of Oso before last month, many since have "been inspired by the incredible way that they community has come together and shown love and support that they have for other in ways big and small." That might include risking their lives volunteering to find neighbors, providing a meal to those on the front lines or offering up chain saws or rain jackets.

"One resident said, 'We're Oso, and we just do it,' " Obama said after touring the damage and meeting with various people involved in the search-and-rescue operations as well as relatives whose loved ones died.

The debris field is full of toxic sludge, including human waste and toxic chemicals from households, oil and gas, according to Lt. Richard Burke of the Bellevue Fire Department. During the rescue efforts, some workers have come down with dysentery.

The work seems never-ending, and the piles of debris and muck remain high a month after the mudslide.

But thanks to workers' efforts, water that was 6 feet deep has now drained, making it easier for heavy equipment to navigate the still tricky terrain.

One spruce tree that remained standing after the mudslide is now a memorial to the victims and a source of strength to the workers.

Obama came to Washington state on the way to a four-country tour to Asia. He will stop in Malaysia, where the mystery of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 and its scores of passengers remains unsolved, and South Korea, where a ferry full of high schoolers collapsed last week.

The President didn't refer to either of those disasters in his comments Tuesday. But he did laud the response of those in and around Oso for symbolizing what is best his own country.

"This is ... what America is all about," Obama said. "When times get tough, we look out for each other. We get each others' backs. And we recover, and we build, and we come back stronger."

By Greg Botelho

CNN's Faith Karimi and Ana Cabrera contributed to this report.


™ & © 2014 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.
(CNN) CBS began to introduce the next host of the "Late Show," Stephen Colbert, by having current host David Letterman interview him and take a selfie together on Tuesday night.

Letterman called Colbert "always entertaining," "the new kid" and "my friend." What Letterman was saying, implicitly, was that he supported CBS's pick for his successor.

CBS announced that it had signed Colbert to a multiyear deal back on April 10, one week after Letterman revealed that he intends to retire in 2015.

The unspecified timing of the transition came up during the chat between the two comedians. When Letterman asked about family matters, Colbert, who has three kids, said, "They're getting ready for me to hang around too much." He pointed out that he'll be signing off his Comedy Central show "The Colbert Report" at the end of the year, "and then there's --- I don't know --- when are you leaving? I should have asked!," Colbert said as Letterman laughed. "I should have asked."

"The thing is," Colbert said, getting back to his family, "they get nervous, they get nervous. I think they like me, but they get nervous when I'm around too much."

Colbert appeared as himself, not as his "Colbert Report" character. Tuesday's "Late Show" visit is likely to be the first of many media appearances that introduce the "real Colbert" to viewers.

Colbert also styled himself differently than he usually does on the "Colbert Report," further distinguishing between that show and his next late-night act. Instead of glasses with invisible frames, he wore hipster frames, for instance.

"You look good," Letterman said as Colbert came on stage. "You look right at home."

Colbert showered praise on Letterman, and remarked at one point, "I'm gonna do whatever you have done." When Letterman responded with mock disapproval, he added, "It seems to have gone pretty well, Dave!"

"It's, it's gone ON," Letterman said.

During the two-segment interview, Colbert talked about how he applied to be an intern on the "Late Show" in 1986 and submitted a writing sample for a job in 1997. "I was unemployed at a professional level," Colbert quipped. By the time he heard back from the "Late Show," though, the show that became "Strangers With Candy" --- which Colbert co-created and starred in --- was in the works.

True to "Late Show" form, Colbert read what he said was his actual writing sample from 1997: a "Top Ten List" titled "Top Ten Cocktails for Santa," with inventions like "Mama Said Nog You Out," "Scrooge Driver" and "Jack Frost."

When the "Top Ten List" animation played on screen, Letterman joked, "Wait a minute! He doesn't get that yet!"

By Brian Stelter


™ & © 2014 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.
(KUTV) Crews cleaned up a canal breach in West Jordan early Wednesday morning around 4:00am.

Dispatchers say water has left the canal at 9324 S. 3945 W.

The canal had flooded its banks due to debris in the water that had been blown in by the storm Tuesday night. The house that was threatened the most by the flood waters has been threatened in the past - and residents were prepared with sandbags.

Officials say the sandbags helped protect the home - and the water was successfully captured by drains in the street.

The debris has since been cleaned up.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.) 
(KUTV) Marc Sessions Jenson, the jailed accuser of former Utah attorneys general Mark Shurtleff and John Swallow is one step closer to forcing the former AG's to answer questions in court.  

"What Mr. Jenson has called for from the beginning is those individuals who put him in the situation of being the subject of the pay-to-play scheme be accountable for their actions," said Marcus Mumford, attorney for Jenson.  The court has not yet ruled on Jenson's request to allow him to subpoena the former AG's.

Jenson complained to the court that he was the subject of a "shake down" by Shurtleff and Swallow.  He claims he paid-off Shurtleff in exchange for the promise that he'd make his fraud case go away but when he ran out of money, Shurtleff and his then heir-apparent Swallow, threw him in jail.

Current Utah Attorney General Sean Reyes asked two well-respected individuals, a former judge and a former assistant U.S. attorney, to conduct an informal investigation on the matter.  Their recently-released report based on voluntary interviews with current and former employees of the Utah Attorney General's Office who worked with Shurtleff and Swallow, said that Shurtleff was so unusually involved in the prosecution of Jenson, that prosecutors in his office "began to wonder about whether he was a 'spy' passing along adverse information to Jenson." said one of the interviewees.

The authors of the report recommended to the current Attorney General, that he cooperate with Jenson's efforts to bring this matter to court, not because Jenson is innocent, but because "given the allegations that have swirled around the involvement of the attorney general and the notoriety of the entire situation, we believe that confidence in the criminal justice process will best be served if the state agrees to some appropriate public process for airing the matter in a court of law."

By: Cristina Flores

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)
(KUTV) Utah's finest athletes were honored Tuesday night at Energy Solutions Arena in Salt Lake City, as part of the Governor's State of Sport Awards.
Athletes in ten categories were voted-on by Utah residents. Being an Olympic year, there was some impressive talent on display as Utah's winter sport athletes took center stage.
Governor Gary Herbert, being a former high school athlete, says the event shines a light on the importance sports have for personal growth and the community. "I think sports is a good metaphor for life for many of us," he said.
Olympic gold medalist Ted Ligety spoke about representing Utah in the Sochi games. "You always know that Utah is a step above," he said. "Everybody, anywhere I go recognizes that Utah is a super special place to grow up and especially doing stuff on snow."
Sage Kotsenburg won the very first gold medal of the 2014 games. He's lived in Park City nearly his entire life and says his event, snowboard slopestyle, was a natural fit. "I just got so addicted to pushing myself to the limit every day."
Park City's Sarah Hendrickson was a nominee for 'Pro Female Athlete of the Year'. Sarah was part of the first-ever women's Olympic ski jump team.
"I watched the 2002 Olympics at the age of seven and watched the men fly through the air at the ski-jumping event," said Hendrickson. "I decided that's what I wanted to try."

For voting results and winners, visit: http://stateofsportawards.com

By: Chris Miller

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)
(KUTV) The strong winds that tore across parts of Utah on Tuesday caused destruction along its path.

In Box Elder County the wind proved to be too much for a couple of semi-trucks that were blown off the road.

Lt. Lee Perry with the Utah Highway Patrol joined us on the phone to talk about the situation.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)
(KUTV) On Tuesday nearly 500 kids attended an Earth Day festival hosted by the Salt Lake County Health Department.

The kids learned about how the environment affects our health, how to plant onions and the Utah Department of Agriculture had a live beehive on display.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)
(KUTV) Two convicted felons are back in jail after a high-speed, multi-county police chase and a take-down that was all caught on high-definition camera in Utah Highway Patrol's new chopper.

The pursuit started in Summit County about 12:50 p.m., and ended on a Marriott-Slaterville farmer's property less than an hour later.

The helicopter, which has only been in use for about a month and features high-tech equipment, caught up with the criminals in Kaysville after multiple agencies had suspended their chase because of safety concerns.

"Obviously they kept running so they thought that they were going to get away," said UHP Chief Pilot Luke Bowman. "Very high rate of speed, going off on the shoulder to pass people."

Officers in Weber County set up spike strips, which were somewhat successful, but the pair kept driving north on I-15, at times reaching 120 miles per hour. They finally got off the highway at exit 346, winding west through rural Weber County, as a tactical officer communicated with agencies on the ground.

There they sped through stop lights and dodged cars until another tire blew, and the pair jumped out of the halting car. They ran for the closest home and hid under a tree. One of them, however, quickly gave himself up with the helicopter hovering above him. He laid in homeowner Frank Eggett's driveway and allowed arriving officers on the ground to swarm him.

"They see the aircraft and, at that point, you can see that they kind of lost their ambition," Bowman said.

The officers arrested him and found the other man hiding under Eggett's flatbed trailer.

"I was in just reading a book," said Eggett who assumed the commotion was his neighbor using his equipment. "The fact of the matter is, if they grabbed me, it could've got real ugly real fast."

Eggett said, had the criminals approached him, he would have pulled his gun on them.

"I tell people I have a .357 alarm system," Eggett said.

According to UHP, the men are felons from Texas who stole a car in Colorado on their way to Las Vegas. Troopers found an open alcohol container and drugs in the car but no weapons.

Justin St. John and Rodney Ray Milligan were booked into Summit County jail for possession of a stolen vehicle, failure to stop on foot, using or possessing drugs, having an open container in a vehicle and having non-registered license plates. Milligan is also facing charges of reckless driving, speeding and never obtaining a driver's license.

"What a scary thing for just a little, old farmer," Eggett said. "A little bit unnerving, a little rattled."

By: Christine McCarthy

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)
(KUTV) The Ogden community raised more than $7 million dollars to build the new facility, and construction will soon be underway.

Rod Decker attended the ground breaking ceremony on Tuesday and talked to some of the supporters about what the project means to the community.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)
(KUTV) High winds blowing across Southern Utah have fire managers warning of extreme fire danger due to the area's already dry conditions and low humidity.

"It's just a recipe for problems," said Southwest Utah Fire Management Officer Mike Melton. "We're really keeping a close eye on the weather, we're keeping an eye on the fuels and we're really asking for the public's help."

Melton said the gusty winds will cause any potential fire to spread rapidly. In addition, the sustained winds further dry out the vegetation by causing the remaining snowpack to quickly evaporate.

"The winds are blowing across that snow and it's going away fast," he said.

The National Weather Service issued a hazardous weather outlook for the western two thirds of Utah and Southwest Wyoming through Tuesday evening. The service says the strong south winds are due to an approaching cold front.

The Central Utah cities of Manti, Richfield, Delta, Fillmore, Beaver, Cedar City and Milford are under a high wind warning until 9 p.m. Tuesday. The Weather Service says gusts could be in excess of 60 mph and recommends securing outdoor items like trampolines and lawn furniture.

The winds could also pose a danger for high-profile vehicles and reduce visibility on roadways because of blowing dust. Those recreating at Lake Powell and other reservoirs are warned that choppy waters could capsize small watercraft.

In St. George, which is under a wind advisory until 9 p.m. Tuesday, open burning is banned until the winds die down. The fire chief says the winds can affect the behavior of any fire.

"Whether it's a brush fire, wild land or structure fire, car fires, anything like that, it could intensify any type of those fires," said St. George Fire Chief Robert Stoker. "We're really dry already for the spring."

By: Ladd Egan

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)
(KUTV) High in the hills above the city of Alpine in Utah County is a critical piece of equipment that could save lives should a sudden flood occur.

The Box Elder Canyon station is one of four state owned weather stations across Utah that is placed at the mouth of a mountain, but this area recently went up in flames. "The roots structures are mostly gone," said Brian McInerney a Hydrologist with the National Weather Service. "We had intense burn scar on this hillside."

McInerney along with his electronic technician Al Martinelli recently went to the Box Elder hillside to make sure everything is in working order with the weather station. "This is a very very valuable piece of equipment," said McInerney.

That piece of equipment can sound the alarm should thunderstorms suddenly arrive and it begins to pour rain at a rate of about a half an inch in 30 minutes, just like what happened in 2013.

"Last year we had four debris flows that carried rocks, mud and debris right into the neighborhoods and caused all sorts of damage," said McInerney. "And we anticipate more this year depending on the thunderstorm activity."

MCInerney is one of four state experts that joined in a web conference chat with Utah's Division of Emergency Management which wanted a report on how things are looking this year for flooding, fire, landslides and drought.

"It's always going to pay to be prepared and be aware of what the situations are," said Joe Dougherty the spokesman for the emergency division.  "We are expecting a normal fire year which could still mean dozens of fires that could pop up anywhere throughout the state." 

According to the experts the worst drought area is down south in Washington County where they have received little moisture. The snow pack in Northern Utah is about 80 percent of normal, which means major flooding is not a concern right now. Unless it suddenly does rain a half an inch in 30 minutes in burn scared areas like Alpine.

"Even though it looks green there is not a whole lot anchoring the soil to the hill side," McInerney also says don't be deceived by the low snow pack. "Just because we have low snow pack doesn't rule out the fact that we will not have flooding,"

That weather station in Alpine gives emergency crews about a 20 to 30 minute advanced warning before the flooding happens. The state's emergency management team is also hoping the information about what's possibly coming can be helpful in helping people to prepare.

For more information about emergency preparedness you can go to www.dem.utah.gov .

By: Dan Rascon

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) Authorities say they are reopening a stretch of Salt Lake City highway where a tanker carrying compressed hydrogen came unhitched.

Police say no injuries were reported after the trailer separated from a truck Tuesday near the intersection of Redwood Road and California Avenue.

Salt Lake City Fire Department spokesman Jasen Asay says none of the hydrogen leaked.

Police closed off the intersection Tuesday afternoon until emergency crews moved the tanker. They did not evacuate any nearby buildings.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
(KUTV) Department of Health workers and a few local inmates gathered on Tuesday to clean up a considerable amount of trash that had collected around a homeless camp.

Some of the workers described the volume of trash, around Salt Lake City's Northern Foothill's, as the most they have seen in a concentrated area. They worked well into the afternoon and were still hauling large bags of trash down to the awaiting trucks.

The area is usually populated by local homeless that live in tents and makeshift housing. The concern officials have is that there is no running water in the area and with a large population the possibility of disease is increased.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) The governor's education adviser says Utah should use a new system to assess its public schools and colleges.

Tami Pyfer's proposal says the state should drop its letter grade system, which gives schools a mark of A-F.

It says officials should also score higher education.

The proposed method would track grade school reading and math proficiency rates and show kindergarten readiness.

Assessment of high schools would consider ACT and statewide tests scores.

The Salt Lake Tribune reports the new evaluations would also spell out demographic factors in each school.

Utah schools in fall received official state letter grades for the first time in a system designed to be more transparent. Opponents contend it is oversimplified.

Any final changes to the current system need approval from legislators and the governor.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
(KUTV) After taking more than a year off, Mitt Romney is returning to the political spotlight.

The former GOP Presidential nominee is embracing a new role in the upcoming midterm elections. Romney has appeared in several ads for Republicans across the country and is helping potential Congressmen and Senators raise money.

Romney’s goal is to help build a GOP majority in the U.S. Senate.

However, despite getting more involved, Romney says he will not run for president again.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)
Update: Salt Lake Police and Fire say there was no leak in the tanker and that the intersection at California Avenue and Redwood Road will be reopened.

(KUTV) Salt Lake Police and Fire are on the scene at a possible Hazmat incident.

According to UDOT, California Avenue is closed at Redwood Road after a trailer collapsed under a semi-truck. Officials say the trailer is carrying a load of compressed hydrogen gas.

Hazmat technicians are currently working to identify if any gas has leaked, although crews have not yet found any.

No evacuations are in place.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Photo Courtesy of Salt Lake Fire Department.
PROVO, Utah (AP) Police say a Provo High School student shot himself on school grounds but was not critically injured.

Authorities say surveillance cameras capture the 14-year-old about 2:30 p.m. Monday with a handgun on a remote corner of campus.

Provo Police Detective Chris Chambers says the shot grazed his cheek before the boy then called 911 from a school bathroom.

Chambers says he answered police questions but had a hole in his cheek.

School officials told the boy's parents, who visited him in the hospital.

Police recovered the gun. They say they have not found anyone who heard or saw the shot.

Students were scheduled to resume their normal school week on Tuesday.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
(KUTV) A Salt Lake City Corrections Officer was assaulted by an inmate at the prison Monday afternoon.

Officials say the assault occurred in the Salt Lake County Metro Jail around 1:00pm when a prison became upset that his phone call had been ended. The officer was escorting the prisoner to his cell when he became argumentative and aggressive. The prisoner turned on the officer and began assaulting him.

Back-up officers arrived and helped restrain the prisoner. He was checked by medical and placed in a cell alone.

The officer was taken to an area hospital where he received stitches to his eye for precautionary measures. He was treated and released in good condition.

Officials say they have no reason to believe the assault was in reaction or a direct result of the shooting that occurred at the Federal Courthouse Monday.

The prisoner, who has been identified as Jordan Po-Ching, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail in December of 2013 for aggravated kidnapping, disorderly conduct, driver’s license violation, aggravated burglary, robbery, and public intoxication.

Charges of assault by a prisoner, a third degree felony, have been filed.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)
WASHINGTON (CNN) The Democratic Party has asked 15 mayors to submit formal bids to host the 2016 Democratic National Convention, an event that could cost a city as much as $60 million but the payout could be triple the investment or more.

The Democratic National Committee's official request for proposal or "RFP" was sent to cities late Monday and they are required to submit their bids to host the convention by June 6.

Cities that received the DNC's "RFP" include: Atlanta, Chicago, Cleveland, Columbus (Ohio), Detroit, Indianapolis, Las Vegas, Miami, Nashville, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix Pittsburgh and Salt Lake City.

The DNC will choose its 2016 host city by the close of 2014 or beginning of 2015 and Democrats are expected to hold the convention, where the party will officially choose its presidential nominee, in late summer 2016.

In a letter accompanying the RFP, DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz noted that Democrats, in addition to logistical requirements, will consider a city's relationship with a key political constituency, labor, as well as a city's approach and handling of certain issues.

"While many of the requirements are specific to the various logistical and administrative goals of putting on the Democratic National Convention, we do seek a city that shares our values of equality, inclusion, diversity, respect and dignity," said Wasserman Schultz, who also serves as a congresswoman from Florida. "And because of the significant security and construction related issues that we will face, we also look for a city with strong relationships with organized labor and those they represent. Our priority is to work with a community that will partner with us as we plan this historic event."

Some cities, such as Columbus, have been lobbying hard to be chosen to host the 2016 Democratic convention. At a DNC meeting in February, Columbus officials hosted a reception highlighting reasons why the city should be the site for the Democratic National Convention. While 15 cities received RFPs on Monday, a DNC official noted that other cities could request an RFP and be considered as a host city.

Earlier this month, Republicans narrowed their list of potential host cities to six: Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, Kansas City and Las Vegas. The Republican National Committee is likely to hold its nominating contest in early-mid summer 2016.

By Mark Preston


™ & © 2014 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.
WASHINGTON (AP) The Supreme Court has upheld Michigan's ban on using race as a factor in college admissions.

The justices said in a 6-2 ruling Tuesday that Michigan voters had the right to change their state constitution to prohibit public colleges and universities from taking account of race in admissions decisions. The justices say that a lower federal court was wrong to set aside the change as discriminatory.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
(KUTV) Students will decide on the University of Utah fight song changes Tuesday.

The Associated Students of the University of Utah will vote on if the words of the fight song should get an update. Some of the students say the words "A Utah man am I" are patriarchal and non-inclusive of the entire student body - while others say they don't see a problem.

Earlier this month, the student assembly and senate voted unanimously to change, but so far they don't have any alternative words to suggest.

The vote is set for 4:00pm this afternoon.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)
(KUTV) The tops schools in Utah, according to the U.S. News and World Report, have been released.

In-Tech Collegiate High in Logan grabbed the top spot in Utah, along with the Academy for Math, Engineering and Science in Salt Lake City, Cedar City High in Cedar City, Desert Hills High in St. George, and American Leadership Academy in Spanish Fork.

The schools are rated on their student to teacher ratio, college readiness, math proficiency, and language skills.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)
(KUTV) A former middle school teacher has pled guilty to trading sexually explicit photos with a student.

Liza-Anne Roberts was a teacher at Mound Fort Junior High in Weber County when she was accused of having a relationship with a 14-year-old boy in her class.

Police say Roberts gave the boy a cell phone and later sent and received sexually explicit photos with him.

The school’s principal received a tip and contacted police. Roberts’s faces up to 10 years in prison when sentenced.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)
(KUTV) One of the bodies found over the weekend in Provo Canyon has been identified.

Police say on of the two bodies found was identified as Jakub Gorowski, 41, from Poland.

Gorowski graduated from BYU in 2001 and returned to Utah for a visit in 2012 when he went missing.

Police say personal items found nearby helped them identify his body, but they are still waiting for DNA results.

Officials believe they also know the identity of the second body, but are not able to confirm. They say they think it belongs to a person who went missing in 2006.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — More than 100,000 people turned out for Salt Lake City Comic Con over the weekend.

The Salt Lake Tribune reports the convention takes first place as the biggest in state history after breaking its own record in September.

The springtime event, known as FanX, was the follow-up to September Comic Con, which drew a crowd of 70,000 to 80,000.

Show producer and Salt Lake Comic Con founder Dan Farr in a statement praised the city for what he said is an avid fan base.

Many convention-goers sported the costumes of their favorite heroes.

Organizers say the three-day event, which began Thursday, shows off the best in movies, television shows, gaming, sci-fi/fantasy and comic books.

Last year, the convention drew about 75,000 attendees, with more than 52,000 tickets sold.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(KUTV) A three-day preliminary hearing is set for November for a man charged with killing an elderly Murray woman and setting fire to her home.

Christen James Spencer, 49, faces multiple charges including aggravated murder for allegedly killing Shirley Sharp in January.

According to court documents, police tracked down Spencer during a traffic stop in which he was said to be driving the victim’s car.

Spencer could be facing the death penalty.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)
(KUTV)  A man arrested as part of a major drug trafficking bust in Ogden will appear in court Tuesday.

Darren Lewis Lujan will be in court for a preliminary hearing. Prosecutors say Lujan and others were bringing hundreds of pounds of meth and other drugs into Northern Utah.

Lujan faces 21 drug related charges in the case.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)
JINDO, South Korea (CNN) Crew members from the sunken South Korean ferry Sewol said Tuesday they were unable to reach the lifeboats as the ship was tilting over.

Four crew members who were arrested Monday over their role in the disaster that has claimed more than 100 lives appeared outside a courthouse Tuesday. Two more crew members were arrested Tuesday, bringing to nine the total number facing charges -- including the ferry's captain.

The four who appeared Tuesday had their heads bowed and faces covered, making it unclear which of them was speaking.

Asked by a journalist if anybody got to the lifeboats as the ferry was listing badly, one of the crew members said they "made attempts do so, but it was hard to go there."

All the crew members "made attempts to do that," he said. "But we slipped so we could not do that."

The failure to deploy the lifeboats is one of a series of problems that beset those on board the sinking vessel last Wednesday. So far, 121 people have been confirmed dead and 181 remain missing, the coast guard said.

A transcript of a radio conversation released by authorities over the weekend suggested that passengers on the ship couldn't reach lifeboats to escape because the ship tilted so quickly that it left many of them unable to move.

But the ship's captain and some crew members have come under heavy criticism, notably for the captain's decision to tell passengers to stay where they were.

Search for survivors goes on

At the scene of the disaster, inflatable powerboats zipped across the sea off the country's southwestern coast Tuesday, ferrying divers to the area where the ferry sank.

Two huge buoys bobbing on the surface mark the spot underneath which the ship lies. Dozens of vessels, ranging from dinghies to warships, surround the site.

Divers plop into the cold, opaque water, picking up guide ropes that lead them into the submerged ferry where they can see barely a foot in front of them.

"Divers can't even see their hands," said Koh Myung-seok, a spokesman for the joint task force leading the search.

Authorities say the efforts are still a search and rescue operation, but no survivors have been found since 174 people were rescued soon after the ferry went down Wednesday. The death toll keeps ticking grimly upward as divers bring more bodies to the surface.

'It's a mess'

On the shore, family members of missing passengers wait anxiously, many of them parents of high school students who were taking the ferry on a field trip. Some relatives are called into white domed tents to identify the remains of their loved ones.

The divers' efforts are focusing on the third and fourth floors of the ferry, but gaining entry to a cafeteria where a lot of passengers may have congregated is proving difficult.

"There are a lot of objects, including furniture. It's a mess there," Koh said Monday evening.

Because the ferry sank during the morning, Koh said authorities think a lot of people may have been in the cafeteria at the time.

Divers have been trying to breach a wall between the lounge area and the cafeteria, Park Seung-gee, an official at the Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries, said Tuesday.

"The conditions are so bad, my heart aches. We're going in thinking there may be survivors. When we have to come back with nothing, we can't even face the families," said Bard Yoon, one of the divers.

Koh said that most of the bodies recovered were wearing life vests.

Captain and crew criticized

As the search continues beneath the waves, investigators are still trying to establish what happened to the ship to make it list to one side before tipping into the ocean.

Initial criticism has focused on the captain and some crew members. South Korean President Park Geun-hye said Monday that their actions were "akin to murder."

The captain, Lee Joon-seok, has defended his decision to tell passengers to stay put as the ferry began sinking, saying he was concerned about the sea's strong currents and cold water as well as the lack of rescue ships.

The captain and eight crew members who made it off the ship alive have been arrested and are facing criminal charges.

Authorities had arrested two first helmsmen, one second helmsman, a third mate, the chief engineer and a technician, as of Monday, according to prosecutors. Authorities did not release details about the jobs of the two arrested Tuesday or what charges they face.

Questions have been raised about why the third mate was steering the ship when it ran into trouble on its way to a popular vacation island. The captain was in his cabin at the time.

Chonghaejin Marine, which operated the ferry, has posted an apology on its website.

"We pray for the Sewol victims who lost their precious lives due to the accident," it said. "We prostrate ourselves before the victims' families and beg for forgiveness."

By Jethro Mullen, Kyung Lah and K.J. Kwon

CNN's Kyung Lah and K.J. Kwon reported from Jindo; CNN's Jethro Mullen reported and wrote from Hong Kong. CNN's Khushbu Shah, Steven Jiang and Judy Kwon, journalists Stella Kim and Jung-eun Kim, and translator Hyoun Joo Song contributed to this report.


™ & © 2014 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.
KIEV, Ukraine (CNN) As the crisis in Ukraine shows no signs of easing, U.S. Vice President Joe Biden promised support for Ukraine and stressed that the United States won't recognize Russia's annexation of Crimea.

"Ukraine is and must remain one country," he said in Kiev on Tuesday at a news conference with Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk. Biden also met with acting President Oleksandr Turchynov and lawmakers during his trip to Ukraine.

"No nation has the right to simply grab land from another nation," Biden said. "We will never recognize Russia's illegal occupation of Crimea."

Biden called on Russia to "stop supporting men hiding behind masks and unmarked uniforms sowing unrest in eastern Ukraine." He warned of additional sanctions if such "provocative behavior" does not end.

Ukrainian and U.S. officials say they think Russian special forces are in the region and are behind efforts to seize government buildings and generally promote unrest.

The U.S. vice president promised financial support, assistance in reducing Ukraine's dependence on Russian energy sources and nonlethal aid for security forces.

 "You will not walk this road alone. We will walk it with you," Biden told Yatsenyuk.

As he spoke, the White House announced a new $50 million package of assistance to help Ukraine pursue political and economic reform and strengthen its partnership with the United States.

Biden also said he expects an International Monetary Fund package for Ukraine to be finalized imminently.

The backing is likely to sit well with Ukrainian leaders struggling to keep their country afloat amid dire financial problems, the ongoing showdown with Russia over its annexation of Crimea and alleged interference in Ukraine's pro-Russian east.

Tensions remain high as pro-Russian militants show no sign of leaving occupied government buildings in eastern Ukraine despite an international deal agreed to in Geneva, Switzerland, last week.

'Humiliating threats'

In his meeting with lawmakers and the acting President, Biden again stressed that the United States wants to stand with the people of Ukraine.

Ukraine faces very daunting problems and "some might say humiliating threats," he said in an apparent reference to Russian interference, but success is within its grasp.

"We want to be your partner and friend, we want to assist," Biden said. "We are not suggesting we have all the answers. We are suggesting we stand with you in every endeavor you undertake."

Biden also issued a warning to the leaders in Ukraine, urging them to "fight the cancer of corruption that's endemic" in the country and reform the judicial system.

It won't be easy, he said, but sometimes "a crisis spawns the commitment, and the desire, the willingness to make some of these bold decisions."

About $11.4 million of the new $50 million aid package is destined to support Ukraine's planned May 25 presidential vote, which Biden suggested could be "the most important election in Ukrainian history."

And as a step toward reducing Ukraine's reliance on Russian gas, U.S. experts are in Kiev "to help Ukraine secure reverse flows of natural gas from its European neighbors," the White House said.

The promise of further economic help comes on top of a $1 billion loan guarantee already signed by the United States.

The White House also announced Tuesday another $8 million in nonlethal military assistance for Ukraine's military and border service. It is already providing nearly $10 million in nonlethal aid.

Turchynov: Ukrainians want unity

Turchynov, meanwhile, had strong words for Moscow, saying that "Ukrainians are ready to protect their country from military aggression of the Russian Federation."

A majority of Ukrainian citizens "are for a united, democratic Ukraine with greater powers given to the regions," he said, referring to constitutional reforms promised in a bid to calm fears in eastern Ukraine.

Kiev and Western powers have urged Moscow to use its influence to persuade protesters in the east to lay down their arms, leave the buildings they're occupying and accept amnesty in line with last week's deal.

But Turchynov said Tuesday that "unfortunately, the Russian Federation and its terrorist special forces present in Ukraine are demonstratively not going to implement the Geneva agreement."

He cited the seizure of a police station Monday in the eastern city of Kramatorsk by militants who also took the police chief hostage, "thereby negating the agreements reached in Geneva."

Moscow has said that it holds no sway over pro-Russian protesters and militants. But Kiev and the United States dispute this.

In a phone call Monday with his Russian counterpart, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry urged Russia to take "concrete steps" to help implement the Geneva deal and de-escalate the situation.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov countered by saying that Ukrainian officials were not implementing the April 17 agreement.

"On the contrary, not a single step has been taken by those who have seized power in Kiev to eliminate the reasons of this deep crisis inside Ukraine," he said.

Meanwhile, a statement from the prosecutor general's office in Kiev criticized law enforcement agencies in a number of cities in eastern Ukraine for not resisting pro-Russian protesters as they seized administrative buildings -- even in cases where they outnumbered the militants.

The statement says self-defense groups in these places were established in reaction to the failings of the security forces. "These defense groups have the right to bear arms and promise to guarantee public order in their respective regions," it said.

Ukraine: Photos show undercover Russian forces

Ukrainian officials said Monday that a dossier of photos obtained by CNN show Russian "sabotage-reconnaissance groups" acting in Ukrainian towns.

The officials said the images prove organized Russian activity in the region.

CNN cannot independently confirm the photographs, some of which were first published in The New York Times.

The dossier shows what Ukrainian officials say are images of well-equipped gunmen in eastern Ukraine, who look similar to photographs of Russian forces taken in Crimea, Russia and during Russia's 2008 invasion of Georgia.

Last week, Ukrainian security officials told CNN they had arrested a Russian military officer and a woman who Ukrainian officials said is a Russian intelligence agent.

Moscow has disavowed involvement in the takeover of government buildings in eastern Ukraine or other acts by often masked pro-Russian gunmen.

But the photos, accepted as genuine by the Obama administration, appeared to lend credence to allegations by Ukrainian officials that Russian forces have been dispatched in eastern Ukraine to provoke a military confrontation.

If genuine, the photos also back up Western leaders who have alleged Russia's involvement.

'Men in green'

The question of whether Russia is involved in the unrest roiling eastern Ukraine is crucial as European observers try to enforce the agreement reached last week in Geneva by organizing the withdrawal of forces from government buildings and other facilities.

CNN has heard Russian accents among the "men in green," as they are known, well-armed and uniformed groups that have appeared in towns like Slaviansk and Kramatorsk. One told CNN he had come up from Crimea. But CNN has not seen any evidence that these men are operating under orders from the Kremlin.

Lavrov scoffed at the accusations Monday, saying that Kiev and its patrons, the United States and the European Union, are trying to blame his country for everything.

Meanwhile, the stalemate continues.

The government of Turchynov, the acting President, has talked tough but done little to curb pro-Russian activities in the east, possibly afraid that a crackdown could send Russian forces across the border. At the same time, the occupation of buildings continues in about a dozen towns and cities across eastern Ukraine.

In three towns, pro-Russian protesters and militants have made it clear to CNN they have no intention of moving until the "illegal" government in Kiev also moves out of official buildings.

Moscow also says the government in Kiev, installed after ousted President Viktor Yanukovych fled Ukraine for Russia in February, is illegitimate and backed by far-right extremists.

Yanukovych's ouster followed months of street protests prompted by his decision last November to drop a planned EU trade agreement in favor of closer ties with Moscow.

Russia annexed Ukraine's autonomous Crimea region last month, following a controversial referendum in which most voters were in favor of joining the Russian Federation.

By Laura Smith-Spark and Gul Tuysuz

CNN's Gul Tuysuz reported from Kiev and Laura Smith-Spark wrote from London. CNN's Arwa Damon, Joe Sterling, Michael Pearson, Ed Payne and Becky Brittain, and journalist Victoria Butenko contributed to this report.


™ & © 2014 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.
(KUTV) On Monday Utah firefighters geared up for a big rescue training exercise, all while surrounded by a dangerous electrical current.

Firefighters from Salt Lake, West Valley and West Jordan were on hand for this unique training opportunity. 

Rocky Mountain Power organized the exercise to help prepare linemen and firefighters for rescues in confined spaces. The training focuses on asking first responders to analyze specific situations and develop a plan to rescue any victims that may have been trapped in an underground vault.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)
(KUTV) Provo firefighters have been responding to multiple fires through the city Tuesday morning - fires that come after two others, both called arson, in the last week and a half.

Officials say crews were called around 4:00am Tuesday morning to 1585 West Center Street. The house burning was believed to be abandoned.

A second abandoned home in Provo, located at 400 West 500 South, was also on fire Tuesday morning - along with a car near 550 West 600 South.

Officials say no one was injured in the blazes and that they are being treated as suspicious.

Officials believe these fires were set by a serial arsonist in the Provo area.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)
(KUTV) Meagan Wold was watching the Boston Marathon Monday morning with her family in American Fork. As the race began, she started scanning the crowd for something specific.

"I was looking for a red shirt, that's what he told me he was going to wear," says Meagan, whose husband Seth was in Boston for business and got a chance to run the marathon.

Meagan got a phone call from Seth on Sunday night, "I could just hear a smile." She says Seth was planning to make a dash for the lead, at the beginning of the race.

Seth had to start the race a short distance behind the favorites, but soon Meagan realized that the man, who shot to the front of the pack wearing a blue shirt, was her husband.

"We were all so excited." Meagan says Seth's plan was to run with the leaders for the first three or four miles. "He started to fade after about eight minutes in the front of the pack."

Seth finished in 934th place, out of the 31,805 runners that finished.

When he arrived home Monday night at SLC Airport, he received a hero's welcome from friends and family.

"I ran with the leaders, there's not many people that have been able to do that," says Seth. "It was a great experience, but the best part is being back home with my family."

By: Chris Miller

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)
(KUTV) Siale Angilau, the man who was shot by a US Marshal in a downtown Salt Lake City courtroom on Monday was allegedly part of a notorious gang that police have been working to breakup for years. 

The Tongan Crip Gang, or TCG, is accused in a federal indictment of carrying out a six year long reign of terror.  The Grand Jury indictment alleged that Angilau and 13 other members of the gang committed more than 30 robberies of convenience stores, restaurants and individuals. 

During the span of these crimes, police claim the gang members shot as many as two people in separate incidents.

Angilau was accused of committing as many as five of those robberies, and shooting one person. One of his alleged victims was on the stand when officials say Angilau attacked and was shot.

By: Chris Jones

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)
(KUTV) Two convicted felons are behind bars after leading police on a high-speed chase through four different counties. 

Officials say troopers tried to pull over Justin St. John and Rodney Ray Milligan in Summit County Monday after getting a report of a reckless driver.

The suspects did not pull over and a chase started near Coalville. The pursuit continued on I-80 to I-15 through Salt Lake County and into Davis County. Reports say the chase reached speeds of 120 miles per hour.

Spike strips were deployed in Weber County and the two suspects bailed out of the car and attempted to run and hide.

Both men were taken into custody and booked into the Summit County jail.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)
(KUTV) While the debate continues over Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy's dispute with federal land managers, supporters in nearby Southern Utah say the much publicized quarrel has brought the issue of states' rights to the forefront.
"I think the Bundy issue is just a symptom of the many issues that are out there," said Washington County Commissioner Alan Gardner.

Gardner said the dispute raised awareness for states' rights issues and energized those who feel the federal government has too much control over the public lands in Western States.
Bundy's week-long showdown with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management ended April 12 when the BLM abruptly retreated and ceased rounding up Bundy's cattle it claimed were illegally grazing on public land. The BLM said the situation had grown too violent.

In the aftermath, Nevada Democratic Senator Harry Reid took issue with armed militia groups joining with Bundy supporters to protest the federal government.

"Those people who hold themselves out to be patriots are not. They're nothing more than domestic terrorists," Reid told the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

Bundy's decades-long dispute with the federal government started in 1993 when the BLM limited the number of animals he could graze on public land and sought to collect grazing fees. Bundy refused to remove his cattle, asserting that the BLM did not have the authority to trump his family's historic grazing rights.

The BLM says Bundy owes $1 million in fees and taxes and is ignoring federal court orders. Gardner said the issue would not have escalated like it did had there been local control of public lands.

"If the states had control of our public lands, and they could manage our resources and do it in a responsible way, 90 percent of the problems we're having on these public land issues would go away," Gardner said.

Gardner said Western States aren't treated fairly when it comes to public lands. In Utah, about 65 percent of land is under federal control compared to percentages in the single digits for most Midwest and Eastern states.

By: Ladd Egan

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)
(KUTV) On Monday Utah firefighters geared up for a big rescue training exercise, all while surrounded by a dangerous electrical current.

Firefighters from Salt Lake, West Valley and West Jordan were on hand for this unique training opportunity. 

Rocky Mountain Power organized the exercise to help prepare linemen and firefighters for rescues in confined spaces. The training focuses on asking first responders to analyze specific situations and develop a plan to rescue any victims that may have been trapped in an underground vault.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)
(KUTV) It's an unusually slow week for new releases with the majority of the major titles being reissues and special editions. Of these titles the most interesting is Sorcerer, William Friedkin's (The Exorcist, The French Connection) take on George Arnaud's 1950 French novel Le Salaire de la peur, which had previously been adapted in 1953 as The Wages of Fear starring Yves Montand. Friedkin's version stars Roy Scheider and while it was overlooked upon release (a little film known as Star Wars dominated headlines) it has since been recognized as one of Friedkin's finest efforts.

With The Amazing Spider-Man 2 opening in various European theaters and the North American release only two weeks away Sony has two Spider-Man releases in the form of Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series, an animated program that ran for two seasons between 2008-2009, and the 4K Blu-ray Remaster of Sam Raimi's original Spider-Man trilogy (available in a box set or individually).

This week also sees the release of Doctor Who: Web of Fear. Up until October of 2013 it was believed that only the first of the six episodes from this Patrick Troughton (Second Doctor) era had been lost. However four of the five missing episodes were discovered in Nigeria making this DVD collection, which is only missing "Episode 3." The story is a sequel to The Abominable Snowmen and is often referred to as "the one that had Yeti running around in the Underground." It's campier than intended, but entertaining nonetheless.

Making their Blu-ray debuts are Seven Warriors, the 1989 homage of Seven Samurai from director Terry Tong, The Inspector Lavardin Collection, featuring the two features Chicken with Vinegar and Inspector Lavardin as well as two made-for-television features The Black Snail and Danger Lies in the Words all starring Jean Poiret, as well as the Criterion Collection releases of Don Siegel's 1954 prison film  Riot in Cell Block 11 and Carl Theodor Dreyer's silent comedy Master of the House from 1925.

By: Ryan Painter

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcast Group)
(KUTV) Two witnesses who answered federal court subpoenas to testify against Siale Angilau on Monday morning were preparing to tell the court how the defendant victimized them, when a deputy U.S. Marshal opened fire on him.
Angilau, who officials say had lunged at a witness on the stand with a pen or pencil, died at the hospital on Monday afternoon.
Sandra Keyser, a clerk at a 7-Eleven that was robbed more than 11 years ago, flew in from her new home in Florida to testify to Angilau's violence in a trial among a string of cases targeting the Tongan Crip Gang (TCG).
"I was working at the Liberty Park 7-Eleven on a shift. It was after 10 at night, and there was another guy that did a beer run, went out the door," Keyser said. "Then [Angilau] got beer. He set it on the floor, climbed over the counter really quick and he smacked me in the face, which he didn’t have to do. Bent up my glasses and bruised me. And then he stole some cigarette cartons, and he grabbed those and climbed back over the counter, and then picked up the beer and went out."
Years later, a 20-year-old Angilau was arrested with three others believed to be TCG members for a string of armed robberies around Salt Lake.
On Monday morning, Keyser said she was waiting in an adjoining room as the next witness to take the stand, when shots rang out with her son and granddaughter in the courtroom.
"I heard shots. I heard a lot of feet running around. I heard a woman kind of crying and screaming," Keyser said.
Another scheduled witness, who was too nervous to disclose her name, arrived to find crime tape blocking off the courthouse entrance and investigators swarming the building.
"I was here to become a witness for a case. I was robbed about 12 years ago at a 7-11," she said, emotionally. "I'm scared, just a little nervous right now."
Keyser had planned to tell the court how violent Angilau was. He was 14 years old, she said, when he robbed her store.
"The reason why I was in court for me to testify was because he started his life of crime. He was calm about it. He didn’t have to hit me, but he did that because it was a part of what he did," Keyser said. "He has advanced in his career, and that was his plan. And he wasn't going to change."

By: Christine McCarthy

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)
(KUTV)The Utah Jazz announced Monday that the team has elected to not offer head coach Tyrone Corbin a new contract. The search for a new head coach will begin immediately.

In a press release, Jazz General Manager Dennis Lindsey thanked Corbin and his staff for their work.

 “I would like to thank Ty and his staff for all of their hard work, dedication and professionalism over the last three-plus seasons,” said Lindsey.  “This has not been an easy decision, but after a thorough review process, we as an organization feel that this is the best decision for our franchise moving forward.”

“The decision to make impactful changes in our organization is never taken lightly,” said Greg Miller, CEO of the Larry H. Miller Group of Companies.  “Ty has always represented the Jazz franchise in a first-class manner both on the court and in the community.  He did a wonderful job of building relationships with the players and encouraged their growth throughout the season. We wish Ty, Dante and their family nothing but the very best for their future.”
Corbin became the seventh head coach in Jazz history and only the fourth since the franchise’s relocation to Utah in 1979, when he was elevated to head coach on February 10, 2011 following the resignation of Jerry Sloan. 

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)
(KUTV) Utah Attorney General Sean Reyes says he is saying no to some campaign donations.

He told students at the University of Utah that he will not be accepting donations from companies or individuals his office may one day investigate.

Reyes says the self-imposed limit differentiates him from former Attorney General John Swallow.

Reyes is currently raising money for his upcoming election against Democrat Charles Stormont.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

(KUTV) A defendant is dead after being shot inside the new federal courthouse in downtown Salt Lake City Monday morning.

Officials say the shooting occurred during a trial involving Siale Angilau, 25, a member of the Tongan Crip Gang (TCG). Angilau was the finale defendant in a series of cases being prosecuted by the U.S. Government in federal court against members and associates of TCG.

Officials believe Angilau attempted to attack a witness with a pen and was fired at by a U.S. Marshall. Officials at a press conference Monday said the U.S. Marshal shot the defendant multiple times in the chest area.

After the shooting, a group of marshals continued to hold Angilau at gunpoint near the jury box while the jury was still present in the courtroom.

Officials say he was alive and breathing as he was taken to a local hospital, however the FBI confirmed that Angilau died from his wounds early Monday afternoon.

The trial was being heard in front of a full jury in U.S. District Judge Tena Campbell's courtroom with a hearing for Siale Angilau, a known member of the Tongan Crip Gang, for racketeering.

The building was put on lock down shortly after the shooting and is expected to be under lock down until early afternoon. No other individuals were harmed in the altercation. The courthouse was secured and indications are that no weapons were secreted into the courthouse, according to the FBI.

The trial has been declared a mistrial as the incidents in the courtroom would deprive Angilau of a fair trial.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation is the lead agency on this investigation in cooperation with the United States Marshals Service, Salt Lake City Police Department and United States Attorney's Office.  

The federal courthouse is located at 351 S. West Temple in downtown Salt Lake City.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)
HONOLULU (AP) Police in San Jose, Calif., say they are reviewing whether charges are warranted against a 16-year-old boy who authorities say jumped a fence at San Jose's airport and stowed away aboard a Hawaii-bound flight.

The FBI has said the boy got into the wheel well of a Hawaiian Airlines flight at San Jose's airport on Sunday morning after running away from his family following an argument.

He hopped down from the wheel well when the plane landed at the Maui airport and was seen wandering the airport grounds.

He was questioned by the FBI, but then released to child protective services. He was not charged with a crime.

OSKAR GARCIA, Associated Press

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- According to a report, Utah's population is expected to soar 86 percent by 2050 from 2.9 million to 5.4 million.

The study by the independent research group Utah Foundation says because two of the state's most populous counties -- Salt Lake and Davis -- are nearly built out, most of the growth is projected to occur elsewhere.

The Salt Lake Tribune reports Utah County centered around Provo is expected to grow by 136 percent from 516,500 to 1.2 million.

Some counties neighboring the Wasatch Front, including Wasatch, Tooele, Summit, Juab, Morgan and Cache, are expected to more than double in population by 2050.

The study also projects that Utah's population will become more diverse, because most growth among the young now is occurring among minorities.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Featured on KUTV

Quick Links Mentioned On 2News

Click For More Links
Web Poll

News Photo Gallery - View More

Weather Photo Gallery - View More

Advertise with us!

Sponsored content


Pay It Forward
Fresh Living
Family Matters
Road Trippin
Hooked On Utah

Advertise with us!