Featured Videos 2News Tipline Traffic Tipline






Top Stories

(KUTV) A standoff ends peacefully following shots fired by a woman barricaded in her apartment in North Salt Lake Tuesday evening.

One shot was fired by a suicidal woman in the Pebble Creek Apartments at 850 N. Highway 89.

SWAT quickly arrived on scene to dissipate the situation. Negotiators ultimately ended the event. Neither the woman or officers were hurt during the standoff.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A two-alarm fire destroyed a home in Cottonwood Heights Tuesday afternoon and investigators say they believe a child started the blaze with a lighter.

Crews arrived at the home near 7435 S. Butler Hills Drive just after 1 p.m. to find the place almost entirely engulfed. They called a second alarm because of the heavy fire, but also because the high heat.

Investigators say there is heavy damage both inside and out of the home and that the family of three will not be able to return for quite some time.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group).

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Crews are battling wildfires across northern Utah during hot, dry weather and in steep, rocky terrain.

Sunday's lightning ignited about two dozen fires in the northern part of the state. Most were quickly extinguished, while a few have been more difficult to manage, said Jason Curry, spokesman for the Utah Division of Forestry, Fire and State Lands.

A 1,000-acre blaze in Morgan County continued to spread up the mountainside in Weber Canyon early Tuesday afternoon. Hand crews shuttled into the burning area fought the flames on the ground, as a Black Hawk chopper pulled water from the Weber River to douse the fire. Two days after the "Tunnel Hollow" fire broke out, crews still had no containment over it.

"It burned right down to [Interstate] 84, right down to the railroad tracks, impacted the railroad," Curry said. "They had to stop a few trains yesterday."

The National Weather Service put much of the state under a "red flag warning" throughout Tuesday, as the hot, dry conditions persist.

"It's definitely an indicator of things to come," Curry said. "So if we don't get some moisture with these lightning storms, we could be looking at more."

East of Tooele, about 15 homes were evacuated Monday night as the so-called "Anaconda Fire" spread close to a neighborhood and gun range.

Dozens of firefighters established just five percent containment over the 450-acre fire, but they managed to limit active flame.

Kurt Alloway, whose log cabin is the closest home to the fire, barely slepton Monday night. He helped evacuate his family and animals but stayed to watch firefighters' efforts and offer his property as a command post.

While he is still concerned about his property, he is grateful for the home he still has.

"The first priority [was] the animals and the kid and making sure the family was safe. That's all," Alloway said. "I'm so proud of how the fire people and the sheriff's department deputies managed this whole thing."

Curry encouraged those who plan to go camping this summer to make sure their campfires are completely out, and he urged those using fireworks on Pioneer Day to abide by local restrictions.

By: Christine McCarthy

Follow Christine on Twitter @ReporterXtine

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A Salt Lake County man who shot and paralyzed a member of a neighborhood watch group nearly four years ago was released from prison Tuesday.

Reginald Campos shot David Serbeck back in 2009 after Serbeck's car followed Campos' daughter around the neighborhood. Campos was convicted of attempted murder with injury, but appealed the conviction, saying his attorney did a poor job representing him.

An appeals court overturned the attempted murder conviction, but the Campos' aggravated assault conviction remained. Campos finished his sentence and was released Tuesday.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Police are searching for a woman who stole a car from a man who was giving her a ride early Sunday morning in Salt Lake City.

Officers say the driver stopped at a 7-Eleven at 1285 N. Redwood Road to use the restroom. While he was inside the store, the suspect drove off with the car, a black 2000 Nissan Xterra, Utah license plate D236KD. 

The suspect is described as a white female, about 30 to 40 years of age, with a heavy build.

Anyone with information on the case is asked to contact police at (801) 799-3000.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Utah's national parks are receiving a major boom in tourism so far in 2014, making nearly $600 million for the state.

Listed as one of the most scenic in the country, Zion National Park is the largest contributor. About 9 million people visited Zion and park rangers and businesses are pleased.

Out of state visitors like Ken Bravo and Connie Clutter were attracted to Utah for the unique beauty of Zion National Park. Tourists like them are more than happy to contribute money.

"It's a realization that there's nothing more beautiful than nature. Just look all around us here," said Bravo.

"It feels great, it's beautiful out here. I'd rather it go to a good use," said Clutter.

Zion National Park Public Information Officer Aly Baltrus said roughly 25 percent of the estimated $600 million made from the state's parks is from Zion.

The money is attributed to the parks as well as local businesses, hotels and restaurants within a 60 mile radius. While boosting the local economy, the amount of money brought in from tourism is still lower than past years.

"In 2013 we were down about 6 percent in October. Just with the government shut down and holistically throughout the whole year we were down about 5 percent, but that wasn't  all the shut down we had kind of a cold winter so we were down in January, February and we started off pretty low," said Baltrus.

With the increase in attendance this year of about 1.5 million people visiting the park, Baltrus says she is not giving up hope for big numbers.

"I definitely think we are going to be higher than last year if the projection continues," Baltrus said.

Tourists like Bravo could not agree more.

"I think the fact that it is attracting tourists speaks for itself," said Bravo.

According to the National Park service report, tourism has supported over 9,000 jobs in the state of Utah.

By: D.J. Bolerjack

Follow D.J. on Twitter @DJBolerjack

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) An exciting day for the Baggely family as they arrive at a home in Logan to pick up a new member of their family.

Not a dog, or a cat, or a reptile, but a mini looking porcupine, although this is no porcupine.  It is a Hedgehog.

The hottest new craze in family pets.

"We are pretty excited! We've been waiting for this little girl to get old enough to take home," said Janae Baggaley a mother of three kids. 

The Baggely's are picking up their Hedgehog from Ali Weller who is a licensed U.S. Department of Agriculture Hedgehog breeder.  Her business is called Storybook Hedgehogs. Click here to visit the page.

"[It's a] Hedgehog boom," said Ali Weller to 2News Dan Rascon in the living room of her home. "I raise Hedgehogs for pets, because I love them they're great little animals They love to burrow they love feeling really secure and covered and they like dark because they are nocturnal."

Right now Weller has ten females, four males and five babies. Her waiting list has jumped up to as high as 50 people.

"This year especially has been really big. I've had a lot of people contact saying I want one now," said Weller.  "I see a lot of college students. A lot of people that go to school and work during the day and want a pet they can come home to at night." 

But Weller also has a warning about Hedgehogs.  They may look all cute and cuddly but they are not for everyone.  In fact Weller says she's very picky about who she sends them home with.

"A lot of people go into it thinking they are going to be just like the pictures on the Internet - super sweet, super cuddly, but it takes a lot of work to bond with a Hedgehog their trust takes longer than a lot of animals," said Weller. "Because their quills can be very intimidating and when they are cranky they are pretty cranky.

Back at the Baggaley home just north of Logan, they've been preparing for this day for months. They've built their Hedgehog named Quill Prickly Bottom Baggaley a two room suite out of plastic storage containers fully equipped with several hand sewn blankets and snuggle sacks.

"Yea we want to be good owners," said Janae. 

"I think it's a good fit just because it's calm it's low maintenance it eats like a 1/3 of a cup of cat food all day," said Stu Baggaley, Janae's husband.

Weller says the Baggaley's are exactly the kind of family she's looking for when adopting her Hedgehogs.

"I have to be protective because they are my babies. I get very very attached. I want them to only go to places that will love them as much as I do,"  said Weller. 

Weller sells her Hedgehogs  from $150.00 to $250.00  a piece depending on the linage and nature of the Hedgehog.

She says she also ends up rescuing a couple a month from people who find that they just cannot take care of them.

Six states across the country have actually ban them as pets because they are a non-native species.

By: Dan Rascon

Follow Dan on Twitter: @DanKUTV

Keep up with INSIDE THE STORY and LIKE us on Facebook!

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)
(KUTV) A Washington D.C. appeals court says the government will not be able to subsidize health insurance in states like Utah that do not have a state exchange.

The decision says the Affordable Care Act bars subsidy in 34 states, including Utah, that do not have state health insurance exchanges, but rely on the federal government exchange. 75,000 Utahns have health insurance from the Affordable Care Act exchange. The average subsidy is 76 percent and if that subsidy goes away, insurance will be four times more expensive on average.

"In the immediate it doesn't change anything," said Governor Spokesman Mary Carpenter.

Carpenter notes the court stayed its order during appeal so the old rules stay in effect at least for a while. In Washington, opponents of Obamacare found new energy. In Utah, thousands may become uninsured again. The case is likely headed to the Supreme Court.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Computers can help kids learn but are they taking too much money away from Utah's underfunded schools?

When it comes to education spending officials have to ask, is a computer sometimes a better teacher than a teacher?

Utah schools are at the bottom of all states for funding, but legislators met at the capitol Tuesday to hear how technology may help kids learn quicker and cheaper than some traditional classrooms.

Ron Twitchell supervises math teaching in Provo and Tuesday on Capitol Hill he showed Utah lawmakers how kids learn geometry better if they use a computer.
Jared Fawson, who teaches geography at West Point Junior High, demonstrated to lawmakers how technology helps kids learn his subject.

"Technology is the future of education," says House Speaker Becky Lockhart.

In the last legislative session Lockhart sponsored a proposal to take more than $200 million of education funding and buy a computer tablet for every Utah school child. 

Her proposal was defeated, but she still believes Utah needs to invest in technology in schools, but teachers and democrats say technology can help only in a well-funded school with quality teachers. 

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Several families are back in their homes today after a wildfire in Tooele County prompted evacuations.

The Anaconda Fire, which has burned over 1,000 acres, was ignited by a lightning strike on Sunday and flared up again on Monday due to shifting wind. The blaze evacuated 10 homes, and left seven homes on standby Monday evening. The evacuated families were let back into their homes later that night, but emergency managers warned residents to be ready at a moments notice in case the fire spreads.

FEMA pledged Tuesday to help cover some of the firefighting costs.

The wildfire is located near a gun club about four miles east of Tooele. The fire started Sunday and was rekindled Monday afternoon. Another fire earlier this season destroyed the gun club. The only structure in the area left to burn is a double wide trailer that replaced the building.

No injuries have been reported from the fire.

2News will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Utah is known for its one of a kind landscape and you've probably visited many of our national parks, but now you can become an ambassador for the parks.

The Mighty 5 Ambassador program is designed to recognize travelers who visit the five national parks by the end of the 2014 calendar year. Ambassadors are recognized with an official certificate of completion, signed by Governor Herbert, as well as a cool decal window sticker.

So far, the program has been successful in getting visitors excited about seeing each unique park, and gives families a bucket list item to check off. Utah attracts a lot of "bucket-listers," so this is a great addition to the list of places to visit this summer.

There are three simple steps to becoming a Mighty 5 Ambassador.

1.) Sign up at VisitUtah.com, and click on "The Mighty 5." Then click on "The Mighty 5 Ambassador." The website also features a few road trip itineraries and ideas, including itineraries for:
i. Rivers & Redrock
ii. Slickrock Adventure
iii. History and Hoodoos
iv. The Best Week of Your Life
v. The Ultimate Journey
vi. Family Adventurer
vii. Solace Seeker
viii. Adrenaline Junkie

2.) Visit all five parks (Arches, Bryce Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, and Zion) with at least one new visit by the end of the 2014 calendar year.  Not all the visits have to take place before you sign up, just one new one will work, so long as you have previously visited the other four.

3.) Take a photo while you are on your new visit, and post it to the Utah Office of Tourism Facebook page, which is at Facebook.com/utahofficeoftourism.  Feel free to post old photos, too. Everyone loves seeing the old Polaroid shots from decades ago.

Although the Mighty 5 National Parks tend to steal the spotlight, the spectacular scenery doesn't end at the park boundaries. There are gems throughout the state, each with their own appeal. Find out more information at VisitUtah.com, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Pioneer Day is this Thursday and of course many people will celebrate with the Days of '47 Parade.

People are getting an up-close-and personal look at some of the amazing floats in the parade and can even vote for their favorites.

The public is invited to go to the South Towne Expo Center on Tuesday from 11:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m.

You can vote for your favorite float along with other categories, including people's choice and children's choice.

Also at the float preview party there will be bands, clowns, entertainment and more. Plus it's all free to the public.

2News photojournalist Matt Michela gives us a behind-the-scenes look.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Celeste Eggert is the director of development at the Road Home shelter, which is currently a part of the 10th annual Apple Tree program.

The Apple Tree program helps kids get a great start to their school year when otherwise they would go without new clothing, shoes and backpacks.

Homelessness is not just an adult problem, which is why this program exist.The program is asking for the public's help in filling these needs for many deserving kids to help make school a positive experience.

If you would like a list of locations or would like to make a donation you can visit www.theroadhomeappletree.com.

Follow Ron on Twitter @KUTVRon

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
WASHINGTON (AP) There's another legal battle involving President Barack Obama's health care law.

Two federal appeals courts today have issued contradictory rulings on a key financing issue. The rulings came within hours of each other.

A divided court panel in Washington called into question the subsidies that help millions of low- and middle-income people pay their premiums. The court said financial aid can only be paid in states that have set up their own insurance exchanges.

But in Virginia, another appeals panel unanimously came to the opposite conclusion. That court said the IRS had correctly interpreted the will of Congress when it issued regulations allowing consumers nationwide to purchase subsidized coverage.

The White House says policyholders will keep getting financial aid as the administration sorts out the legal implications.

Both cases are part of a long-running political and legal campaign to overturn the health care law.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
CUTLER, Calif. (AP) A Central California company has issued a voluntary nationwide recall of specific lots of its fresh peaches, plums, nectarines and pluots over concerns of possible listeria contamination.

Wawona Packing says on its website that no illnesses have been reported and the recall is a precautionary measure.

The company said the recalled fruit was packed and shipped to retailers from June 1 through July 12.

Retailers that received the fruit include Costco and Trader Joe's.

The recall came after internal testing at the packing house in Tulare County.

Officials say they shut down the lines, retrofitted some equipment and sanitized the facility. Subsequent tests have been negative.

Clovis-based Wawona Frozen Foods is a separate company and is not involved in the voluntary recall.

Listeria bacteria can cause a dangerous flu-like illness.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
VERNAL, Utah (AP) Vernal police have arrested a 34-year-old northern California man who they say drove hundreds of miles to have sex with who he thought was a 12-year-old girl.

Authorities say the man, who's from Loomis, was arrested Monday on suspicion of enticing a minor over the Internet and distribution of pornography. He was being held without bail in the Uintah County Jail.

Police Lt. Keith Campbell says the man had been communicating online since April with an undercover officer who posed as an underage girl. Campbell says the man sent pornographic material online and arranged to meet up with the girl in eastern Utah.

Campbell says the man was arrested in a traffic stop on U.S. 40 just west of Vernal.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
(KUTV) Robert Apodaca, 23, a man found guilty of kidnapping a West Valley teen as part of a robbery, will learn his fate in court Tuesday.

Prosecutors say that Apodaca and two other men kidnapped a teen and tried to rob him of drugs in November of 2012. The shooting occurred after what appeared to be a planned meeting between the teen and three other men, during which the men would rob the victim of illegal drugs.

Last month a jury found him guilty of charges of aggravated kidnapping, aggravated robbery and obstruction of justice.

If Apodaca is found guilty he could face up to life in prison.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A hearing has been set in the fight over a revised deal between Salt Lake's two daily newspapers.

U.S. District Judge Clark Waddoups will hear arguments on September 8th from a group of former Tribune reporters that have filed a lawsuit saying the agreement threatens the Tribune's independence.

Digital First Media, which owns of the Salt Lake Tribune and Deseret News, says allegations that the agreement violates federal antitrust laws are false.

Under the agreement the Deseret News gets 70 percent of profits from the two newspapers.
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) Salt Lake City's bike share program has doubled about a year and a half since it began.

GREENBike has 160 bikes across the city, with eight new stations going in this month.

The Downtown Alliance in a Monday statement said a series of grants is paying for the expansion. They are from the Wasatch Front Regional Council, the Salt Lake City Redevelopment Agency and the Utah Department of Transportation. The Utah Clean Air Partnership also provided a grant.

Last year, About 6,100 people participated in the program that costs $5 for one day.

City officials in the statement praised the program for helping to improve Utah's air quality by cutting down on motorized travel.

Other program sponsors including LDS Hospital and Key Bank have helped foot costs of the program.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
(KUTV) The founder of an annual Utah rodeo, who admitted to stealing money, will not have to spend time behind bars.

A judge sentenced Floyd Harmon, 55, to probation. He will also have to repay the money and complete community service.

Prosecutors say Harmon took about 300,000 dollars from the Days of '47 Rodeo accounts between 2002 and 2011 and deposited the money into his own account.

Rodeo organizers fired Harmon last year after discovering missing checks.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Police have charged two Salt Lake County men with murder in connection to a deadly gang-related shooting last month.

Police say Irving Nunez and Ernesto Navarro were riding in a car on June 23 when they got in a fight with people in another car.

According to officials Nunez and Navarro went and got guns before finding the car in an alley, where they fired multiple shots.

Francisco Antonio Colon, 40, of West Valley City, died from a single gunshot wound and a teen was injured.

Both men are facing several charges including murder, obstructing justice and multiple firearms charges.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) The Days of '47 Rodeo is in full swing this weekend and Holly Menino stopped by to see all the exciting activities that are available.

Holly also got to see the bucking bulls and broncos that will be competing in the annual rodeo.

For more information on the event visit: bit.ly/1nxz08V

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Fred Lee, 59, a Lindon man charged with killing his ex-wife's husband, is set to appear in court on Tuesday.

Lee is accused of going on a shooting rampage through a Lindon condominium complex at 179 North 400 West on July 3rd and killing Mike Sidwell in front of his granddaughter.

Police say he shot his way into four other condos searching for his ex-wife Joy Sidwell during the incident.

Jail documents say Lee admitted to police that he went looking for his ex-wife "to kill her."

A judge in Provo will hear a decision from Lee and his attorney on whether an evidence hearing will be held.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A new study shows that Utah teens are less likely to die prematurely or give birth compared to teens 25 years ago.

The annual kids count report shows that Utah's teen birth rate dropped by 52 percent in 2012.

The teen death rate dropped by 37 percent; however the report also shows more teens are living in poverty. The number of Utah households below the poverty line rising by 55 percent since 1990.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Fireworks caused a fire that damaged a Provo duplex late Monday night, fire officials said.

The blaze started just before 11:00 p.m. at 488 West 1720 North. Fire Battalion Chief Jeremy Headman said a firework started a bush on fire which spread to one side of a duplex.

Firefighters responded and put out the fire within ten minutes, but it damaged the building and a motorcycle, Headman said.

Four male students were displaced. Headman said they planned to stay with friends.

Headman estimates the damage from this fire at $50,000.

The fireworks that started this fire were legal and were set within the time frame allowed by the state, Headman said, but he said this incident is a good reminder to be careful with fireworks.
(KUTV) Technology and good timing came together Monday to help police arrest a woman they say had stolen her baby that was born on methamphetamine.

Police say Michelle Yallup, 29, took the child from a Montana hospital last month and ended up in Utah.

On Monday, an officer happened to be in the right place at the right time to help catch the mother and find the baby.

"It was pretty incredible," said Utah Highway Patrol Lt. Lee Perry.

Just before 10:00 a.m. Monday, the Utah Statewide Information Analysis Center alerted a highway patrol trooper in Box Elder County about a 1970s motorhome parked at a Flying J off I-15 in Willard.

"We've had officers all throughout the state looking for this vehicle the last five days," said Perry.

Inside, police believed, was 29-year-old Michelle Yallup. She was wanted in Montana for stealing her infant son from the hospital right after she'd given birth. Both mother and baby had tested positive for methamphetamine.

"They could see that there was a trooper within a short distance from where this vehicle had been spotted," said Perry. "So they sent an instant message to his computer telling that trooper that just a couple miles from where you're at right now is a possible child abduction."

The trooper raced to the scene. He found the motorhome and Yallup. At first, the woman denied having the baby with her However, once the officer placed Yallup in handcuffs, "she willingly admitted that she had the child in the vehicle," said Yallup.

Paramedics soon arrived and took the baby to the hospital "The baby seemed to be okay," said Perry.

Child welfare services eventually took custody of the infant while his mother went off to jail.

"This was really a precise kind of a pinpoint attack," said Perry of the process that led to the woman's arrest. "It was literally within about three to four minutes of the phone conversation, the post to our computer on our trooper, that we had the woman in custody and had the baby recovered."

Michelle Yallup now faces several felony charges here and in Montana including endangering a child and fraud. Police say she also had drugs with her when she was caught.

2News spoke with Police Chief Tim Barkell in Anaconda, Montana, where the baby was taken. He said they planned to extradite Yallup back there.

By: Daniel Woodruff

Follow Daniel on Twitter: @danielmwoodruff

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates
(KUTV) A fire in the mountains west of Vernon has burned more than 1,700 acres and has closed a road that runs through Lookout Pass.

No structures are being threatened at this time, but the area is a wildlife habitat with sage grouse, mule deer, and pronghorn antelope. Firefighters are calling it the "Sheep Fire" and it is producing a lot of smoke.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation.

2News will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.

(KUTV) Family and friends are grieving the loss of two teenage brothers from Clinton, Utah, killed in a plane crash near the Utah/Arizona border on Sunday.

The bodies of 19-year-old Daulton, and 16-year-old Jaxon Whatcott were recovered from the crash site Monday. They were the only two people on the plane.

"This community is definitely mourning and the family is deeply mourning, so we would appreciate any privacy that people could offer them at this time," said family spokesperson, Taunie Reynolds.

Reynolds says Daulton was at the controls of a single engine Cessna 172 that took off from Bountiful airport on Sunday. The two boys were flying solo to Las Vegas, to attend a basketball tournament where Jaxon was scheduled to play.

"They did land in Beaver, because there was bad weather ahead," said Reynolds. "I know they were in contact with their parents there."

The boy's parents were driving to Las Vegas, and made plans for everyone to meet up in Mesquite. "When they didn't arrive, the parents started worrying and one thing led to another and they found out what happened," said Reynolds.

The plane went down south of the Virgin River Gorge. Investigators have not released a cause for the crash.

Daulton had just earned his pilot license three months ago and wanted to become a commercial pilot. He had apparently flown solo before.

"He would come into my classroom and say, 'you know I'm getting close to getting my license', said Tony Wilson, a teacher and basketball coach at Syracuse High School, who taught and coached Daulton for four years. "Once we found out we were really excited for him."

Both brothers attended Syracuse High and were standout students and athletes. Daulton graduated last year and was attending Utah State University. Jaxon would have been a high school junior in the fall semester.

"Daulton and Jaxon, if you were to describe them, they're such people people," said Wilson. "They love the community, they have so many friends."

By: Chris Miller

Follow Chris on Twitter @ChrisMillerKUTV

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.

MANILA, UT (KUTV) Mike Wayman is what many would define as a hero.  He's a man who has dedicated his life to preserving the lives of others.

Today, he does it for free as the volunteer fire chief of the volunteer fire department in Manilla, Utah. Mike is an unpaid administrator, instructing and training others in the fire-fighting and paramedic ways.

It was not always that way. For nine years Mike was a paid firefighter for West Valley City. But a little more than five years ago, Mike was injured on a call – an injury that changed his life.

Ironically, it was not the flames that wounded Mike - it was the water used to fight the flames. It was the dead of winter and the water turned to ice in subzero temperatures.

"We were trying to get a family protected, out of their house," Mike recalls. "I slipped fell on the ice. A bunch of fire gear, equipment came down on top of me. I injured my back and made it to where I was out of commission."

The injury forced Mike into early medical retirement. He tapped into his retirement savings but with medical bills, that was not enough to survive. Mike was left with a choice: collect disability and go probably go bankrupt or find a way to earn some money.

"I want to be able to get up and contribute if I can," he said.

Mike put his training to use, organizing the Manila firehouse and training to become a flight nurse. Eventually he landing a job with AirMed. It's a job that pays better than did his firefighter gig, which apparently the state doesn't like.

Mike received a letter from Utah Retirement Services which says that he's making too much money so the state is taking some back. The letter reads, "We will deduct $2,231.36 each month," from Mike's retirement checks.

But Mike believes his retirement that is money he has earned. He says he appealed the garnishments and even called his state representative. Neither move did him any good, he says.

Mike decided to Get Gephardt and we began our investigation calling Utah Retirement Services. They said their hands are tied to enforce state law which is inflexible.

The law in question says that when you add a person's current salary to their medical retirement, that person can't make more than 125% of what they made when they were injured. It's a law that appears to be designed to battle fraud – preventing someone from faking an injury and then, essentially double-dipping. But the consequences of the law, Mike says, are that capable people, like him, are better off not working or taking lower paying jobs to avoid having the retirement they already earned garnished.

We wanted to ask lawmakers about this law. Neither of the men who sponsored the most recent enactment of the bill are still in the Utah legislature. Mike's representative, Melvin Brown, R – Coalville, admitted to having talked to Mike but said he was not familiar enough with the law to comment on it.

Mike has seen more than $20,000 taken from him out of his own retirement earnings as punishment for getting back to work. He continues to struggle to pay medical bills for his workplace injury.

"I just want to see there be some fairness," Mike said. "I think the law should be changed."

Mike says he thinks the solution would be to make the law more flexible. He thinks the Utah Retirement Services board should be able to look at an individual's situation, with evidence, and be allowed to make a judgment as to whether or not that individual is trying to cheat the system or if they really do deserve the money they have earned.

At this point Mike he says it's too late for him. He believes his money is gone and will not come back. He says he is fighting for the next man or woman injured on the job in Utah.

By Matt Gephardt
Produced by Michelle Poe
Edited by Steven Gayle
Photography by Mike Fessler

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A teenage pilot from Utah and his younger brother died in a plane crash on the Utah-Arizona border on Sunday night.

Daulton Whatcott, 19, a recently licensed pilot, was flying with his 16-year-old brother, Jaxon Whatcott, in a single-engine plane when it crashed about 6:30 p.m., in the Arizona Strip just south of the Virgin River Gorge.

FAA records indicate the Cessna 172 the Clinton teens were flying was leased through D & G Aircraft Leasing, a Bountiful company. The company did not comment on the accident Monday.

Trent Whiting, a Syracuse High School assistant basketball coach, instructed Jaxon last year and Daulton the year before. He remembered them on Monday as star athletes and the best of friends.

"Wherever Jaxon was playing Daulton was there. Wherever Daulton was playing, Jaxon was there," Whiting said. "To lose one player would be difficult, and my heart just goes out to the parents. To lose two boys in one tragic accident is pretty difficult."

Daulton was in college and Jaxon would have entered his junior year in high school. Whiting expected Jaxon to lead the high school basketball team next year.

The brothers had been traveling to Jaxon's tournament basketball game with the Amateur Athletic Union in Las Vegas when they crashed, Whiting said.

Whiting opened up his West Point home to the Whatcott brothers' friends to write down their favorite memories of the teens and leave them in a memory chest for their family.

By: Christine McCarthy

Follow Christine on Twitter @ReporterXtine

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) According to a new study from Brigham Young University, traveling along the Mormon Pioneer Trek was actually safer than staying home.

The study was about the death rate of the pioneers compared to the U.S. population.

"I had a perception of people dropping like flies they died left and right," said Justin Thunell, one of 10 BYU students who participated in the study that took a year and a half to complete.

The data was gathered from the LDS Church's History Library, where historians had already been working on the death toll of the Mormon Pioneers for five years. The study looked over the records of 56,000 pioneers who traveled from Nauvoo to Salt Lake City from 1847 to 1868.

Professor Dennis Tolley presented to his statistics class who were trying to figure out what a person would charge for life insurance to Mormon pioneers if they were starting a company back during that time.

"If you were selling an insurance policy that would pay $1,000 for each of your family that died on the trail, how much would it cost for a premium?" said Dr. Dennis Tolley.

The death results of people dying on the trail were surprisingly almost the same as if they would have stayed home in the general population.

"1,900 deaths for the pioneers represented about 3.5 percent death rate overall. The U.S. population for the same age distribution had about a 2.7 to 2.8 percent mortality rate," said Tolley.

According to the study, infants were actually safer to travel along the trial than those staying home.

"That's surprising to me. I would have guessed it would have been more," said Tolley.

"Whether it was miracles of God or the toughness of the pioneers it was less than we anticipated," said Thunell. 

After the study, the student calculated that the premium rate would be $116.00 for a family of four if you wanted to stay in business as an insurance company.

By: Dan Rascon

Follow Dan on Twitter: @DanKUTV

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)
(KUTV) President Obama signed an executive order Monday banning discrimination against gays in federal employment or by government contractors, but Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch says the order should have had an exception for religion.

Davey Stevenson of the Utah Pride Center said there is discrimination in Utah and it may be stopped by this order.

“I firmly believe it's time to address this injustice for all Americans,” said Stevenson.

Though gay advocates have lobbied, the Utah State Legislature has refused to pass a non-discrimination law. Sen. Hatch says the order demonstrates, “the Obama Administration’s consistent disregard for religious liberty.”

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A fire caused by a lightning strike has burned about 300 acres near the Taggarts Grill area in Morgan.

There are some structures in the area, but no damage has been reported to them at this time. Firefighters are calling the blaze the "Tunnel Hollow Fire."

2News will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A cement truck crash caused traffic to back up on northbound I-215 Monday.

A cement truck lost control near I-215 at 700 North just before 12:00 p.m. The truck overturned and sparked a small fire off the road.

Emergency crews were able to quickly extinguish the flames.

The driver of the truck was taken to the hospital in fair condition.

The weight of the cement inside the truck made it difficult for crews to get the truck upright. The clean-up process took several hours.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)
(KUTV) Police are searching for a robber who struck at a restaurant Sunday night and a convenience store the week before.

The photo above is from a South Salt Lake Maverick robbery last week.

Police believe the man also robbed a Taco Bell restaurant in Cottonwood Heights Sunday around 9:00 p.m.

Police say the man had a gun, but nobody was hurt.

If you recognize the man in the photo, you are asked to call police.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)
SPANISH FORK, Utah (AP) A load of french fries scattered over a Utah highway when a semitrailer hauling the savory treats tipped over Monday.

No one was seriously injured. The accident briefly snarled traffic on U.S. Highway 6 as crews turned the trailer upright.

Spanish Fork Police Lt. Matt Johnson tells the Daily Herald of Provo a car turning onto the highway pulled out in front of the truck carrying the fries. The truck driver swerved to the left before rolling over.

Another oncoming semitrailer carrying furniture veered off the highway to avoid a crash. One person in that truck went to the hospital with a cut.

Officers later opened one lane in each direction as emergency workers cleared the french fries and debris.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
(KUTV) The Red Cross has unveiled a new smartphone app to help families prepare for a potential evacuation during wildfire season.

The app provides step-by-step instructions about what to do before, during and after a potential disaster.

The app is free and the information is updated in real time.

You can download the Red Cross app from the Apple or Android stores.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)
PROVO, Utah (AP) A Utah woman accused of killing six of her newborns and storing their bodies in her garage appeared in court Monday.

Attorneys for 39-year-old Megan Huntsman postponed until October a decision about whether to request an evidence hearing in her case.

Police say Huntsman was heavily into a meth addiction when she strangled or suffocated the infants. The killings took place from 1996 to 2006.

Pleasant Grove police say she wasn't worried about the babies' health but simply didn't want to care for them.

Her lawyer Anthony Howell has declined to comment on the allegations.

Authorities think a seventh baby found in her Pleasant Grove garage was stillborn.

Huntsman is in jail on $6 million bail, charged with six counts of first-degree murder. She has not yet entered a plea.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
(KUTV) Changes may be coming to the State Fair Park.

The board of directors wants to remodel the park and include a new 8,000 seat soccer stadium.

The plans additionally call for a new expo-building and expanded rodeo grounds.

The renovations will cost $44 million.

The fair park has been plagued with financial troubles. Officials hope the new stadium and accompanying events can solve the financial crisis.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)
(KUTV) The Olympic Oval in Kearns is installing solar panels on top of a new parking garage.

Officials say the panels will save them $100,000 in electrical bills every year.

The project is supported by the state of Utah, the Salt Lake County, Rocky Mountain Power and the Olympic Legacy Association.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)
(KUTV) Several labs across the country are storing deadly diseases even though they are dangerous. Even more concerning is that not all of the labs have updated their safety protocols.

The director of the Federal Center for Disease Control (CDC) was called before Congress last week to answer for safety lapses.

Hearings have shown the number of labs that deal with deadly germs has proliferated.  In 2004 there were just 16 labs dealing with deadly diseases, but by 2010 there were 269 such labs in America.

What is especially scary are diseases which scientists have changed genetically to make them incurable, and maybe more contagious.

One of the oldest such labs is here at the Dugway Proving Ground in Utah's West Desert. 

In a 1955 film scientists put ticks on mice to see how diseases spread.  They filmed a guinea pig with the disease and feed it to a coyote to find about the spread of disease.

In 2001, five Americans died from anthrax sent in the mail by a terrorist.  Dugway was briefly suspected as the source of the anthrax, but those suspicions proved false.

Dugway has a strong safety record, but Congress is looking to improve safety at other labs. 

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A Provo teen traveled to San Diego to receive treatment for a tumor she has had almost all her life.

By the time Natalie Wright, 17, laid down on the table she was out of options. She lived with a tumor in her brain stem since she was two.

After her first surgery everything looked like it was fine then it grew back twice the size the second year. Then after multiple surgeries later the tumor was still there.

Doctors had to get creative, a mask and other devices were used to hold her head still so protons or beams of radiation could attack her tumor.

While standard x-ray radiation is like a shotgun that hits everything in the area, proton radiation can be like a targeted rifle.

Proton therapy isn't always an option, plus there's the cost. A center can cost hundreds of millions of dollars and there aren't very many of them in the country.

To learn more about the therapy visit: http://www.proton-therapy.org/howit.htm

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
PROVO, Utah (AP) A state judge has postponed arguments about whether to relocate the trial of a 17-year-old girl charged in connection with a Utah County deputy's death and the shooting of another officer.

Attorneys for Meagan Grunwald on Monday morning said they needed more time to prepare their argument that the trial should be moved out of Utah County.

They're now scheduled to make their case on Aug. 4.

Grunwald pleaded not guilty in May to a dozen charges, including murder and attempted murder, from the Jan. 30 police chase and shootout that left Sgt. Cory Wride dead.

Prosecutors say Grunwald's 27-year-old boyfriend, Angel Garcia-Juaregui, was the one who shot and killed Wride, but they say the teenager drove the couple and participated in criminal acts.

Garcia-Juaregui died after a shootout with police.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
SEDONA, Ariz. (AP) Only a few hours separated two fiery, small plane crashes in northern Arizona that left six people dead over the weekend.

Authorities were working Monday to recover the remains of four people from a rugged wilderness area near Sedona.

The Federal Aviation Administration says it is unsure of the flight plan for the single-engine Cessna that sparked a small fire when it crashed around 3 p.m. Sunday. Firefighters were on scene Monday working to extinguish the fire.

Authorities say the second plane crashed just south of Interstate 15 near the Arizona-Utah border around 6:30 p.m. Sunday, killing two people.

The FAA says the single-engine Cessna left Beaver, Utah, en route to Mesquite, Nevada.

The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating both crashes. The identities of the dead haven't been released.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
(KUTV) A 20-year-old man has pleaded guilty to manslaughter in connection to a shooting at a convenience store last year.

Vilisoni Angilau entered the plea to the reduced charge on Friday.

In April of 2013 Angilau and other members of his Tongan Crip Gang chased 19-year-old Sione Fakatoufifta through the Glendale area before finding him and shooting him at a Maverick store.

Fakatoufifta was a member of a rival gang.

Angilau is the younger brother of 25-year-old Siale who was shot and killed by a US marshal as he lunged at a witness in Salt Lake federal court back in April.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
WASHINGTON (AP) President Barack Obama says America's federal government contracts should not subsidize discrimination.

Obama is speaking during a signing ceremony for an executive order that will prohibit employment discrimination against those workers by the federal government and its contracting agencies.

The president says many in the crowd, including government officials and gay rights advocates, have waited a long time for this moment. Obama urged Congress to pass broader non-discrimination legislation that has stalled in the GOP-led House.

Some religious groups and conservatives urged him to provide a broad exemption for religious groups in his executive order, but Obama declined.

Last month, the Supreme Court allowed some religiously oriented businesses to opt out of Obama's requirement that employers provide free birth control.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
(KUTV) An Orem man facing kidnapping and sexual abuse charges could waive his preliminary hearing in court Monday.

Jayson Johnson, 26, faces a total of three 1st degree felonies; he is set to appear before a judge in Provo.

Johnson is accused of abducting then sexually assaulting an 11-year-old girl as she walked to Cherry Hill Elemnetary School last February.

If Johnson waives his preliminary hearing his case will go straight to trial, he could spend the rest of his life behind bars if convicted.
(KUTV) Joseph Simpson, the man accused in a murder case that took place almost 20 years ago, is set to appear in court for an evidentiary hearing on Monday.

Prosecutors accuse Simpson of killing 17-year-old Krystal Beslanowitch in 1995.

Simpson was arrested last September after police say new DNA technology gave them a lead.

Both sides will review evidence in the case, if convicted Simpson faces up to life in prison.
(KUTV) Fire crews extinguished a brush fire in the Herriman area near 14000 South Shaggy Mountain Road (8000 West) early Monday morning.

The fire was reported to be about an acres in size, fire crews were concerned because there are some homes in the area.

Police are not sure what started the fire at this time, we will continue to update the story as details become available.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Gail Terkelson rushed to her elderly mother's house on Saturday night near the mouth of Ogden Canyon, where a brushfire was raging in her backyard.

"My first concern was my mom," Terkelson said. "They were telling us to evacuate, and we couldn't get to her fast enough."

Her mother, Charlene Terkelson, who is 81 years old, was not ready to leave the home she and her late husband created together 50 years ago.

"I've never had anything frighten me so in my life," Charlene said. "I thought, if this is going to go, I'm going, too, because my husband did most of the work on the house."

But Charlene's daughters and the firefighters convinced her to leave and to trust crews with her home.

The blaze had begun about 8 p.m. on Saturday. Investigators believe a person caused the fire, whether intentional or not, because there was no lightning in the area at the time and the fire started near the Indian Trail, a popular recreational area.

Throughout Saturday night and most of Sunday, dozens of firefighters battled the flames and kept the fire from the 10 to 20 homes that were evacuated.

Two helicopters dropped buckets of water on the flames as hand crews cut fire lines around the so-called "Indian Fire."

Crews shut off power to the neighborhood, as high-voltage power lines were in the path of the fire.

Evacuees were offered shelter at a local LDS Church building. They were allowed to return home early Sunday morning and power was restored.

By 8 p.m. on Sunday evening, crews cleared the scene, having reached 70-percent containment on the fire, which spread to 50 acres earlier in the day. The area remained smoldering with an occasional small rekindling, but it was no longer a threat to homes, said Forest Service spokeswoman Kim Osborn.

Having returned to their home Sunday morning, both Charlene and Gail are thankful for the hard work of the firefighters.

"In all that chaos, you feel like you're going to lose everything that you grew up with, that you have," Gail said. "They made us feel like, 'No you're not.'"

Charlene said a firefighter parked his truck behind her house, between her property and the flames, promising to guard it while she was gone.

"These people fighting this blaze are our heroes," Charlene said. Crews will return to the scene on Monday morning.

Officials ask the public not use the Bonneville Shoreline Trail from 12th St. to Waterfall Canyon for public safety and that of firefighters.

By Christine L. McCarthy

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(AP) Two Americans who were soldiers for the Israel Defense Force were killed in fighting in the Gaza Strip.

Stuart Steinberg confirmed the death of his son Max Steinberg, 24, to The Associated Press on Sunday. Steinberg, whose family lives in Southern California's San Fernando Valley, was a sharpshooter for the Golani Brigade. He was one of 13 Israeli soldiers and 65 Palestinians killed in fighting Sunday during the first major ground battle in two weeks of fighting between Israel and Hamas.

Earlier Sunday, the IDF said in a statement that Sgt. Nissim Sean Carmeli, 21, was killed in combat in the Gaza Strip. Carmeli was from South Padre Island, Texas, said Deputy Consul General of Israel to the Southwest Maya Kadosh. She said Carmeli moved to Israel four years ago and added that the consulate helped his family get a flight there Sunday.

Rabbi Asher Hecht of Chabad of the Rio Grande Valley, who is a longtime family friend, said Carmeli joined the Israeli army after finishing high school in Israel and was in the Golani Brigade. The IDF statement said Carmeli was from Ra'anana, Israel.

"He had great energy, yet had a kind and gentle soul," Hecht said. "It's been a very tough day for us," he added. "We lost a gem."

Carmeli was the youngest of three and has two sisters who currently live in Israel. He was "loved by his parents infinitely," Hecht said.

Steinberg was living in Beersheba, Israel. He attended Pierce College and El Camino Real High School in Southern California.

He visited Israel for the first time on a Birthright Israel trip with his younger brother and sister in June 2012, his father said. When he returned, he made an announcement to his parents that he was planning to return and join the IDF, Steinberg said. He made good on that promise less than six months later, making the move in December.

"He went back," Steinberg said. "He was completely dedicated and committed to serving the country of Israel. He was focused, he was clear in what the mission was, and he was dedicated to the work he needed to be doing."

On Sunday morning, the Steinbergs were visited by representatives from the Consulate General of Israel in Los Angeles. They broke the news of Max Steinberg's death.

Stuart Steinberg last spoke to his son at 4 a.m. Saturday California time, hours before his death. Max Steinberg called his father to tell him that his group had been injured when two of their tanks collided. They had to return to Israel for treatment at the hospital. Some soldiers had broken bones, and Max Steinberg had sprained his back, his father said.

"He called me up at 4 a.m. that morning and said he'd be returning to Gaza, back to combat, to be with his friends," Steinberg said.

Steinberg said the family is leaving on Monday for Israel, where their son will be buried. On Max Steinberg's Facebook page, hundreds of people liked a profile photo that appeared to be a selfie of him in uniform, armed, with his helmet on. Dozens gave their condolences.

Jay Sanderson, who heads The Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles, said in an email message to the community that "our thoughts are with his family and our community is committed to support them in any way they need - and to honor Max's memory."

The Jewish Federations of North America said in a statement that its "deepest sympathies" were with the families of 18 Israeli soldiers killed over the last two days. "Along with all of Israel, and the entire Jewish People, we mourn their loss as if they were our own," the statement said.

On Sunday night, the U.S. State Department confirmed the deaths of Steinberg and Carmeli. ___

Associated Press writer Ramit Plushnick-Masti contributed to this report from Houston. Rankin reported from Chicago.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(KUTV) Have you heard of the "ice bucket challenge"? It's quite popular in the world of social media, making the rounds on Facebook and Twitter in recent weeks.

You are challenged to dump a bucket of icy water on your head or donate to charity - or both - and now, Utah politicians are getting in on the action.

Looking nervous in the video House Speaker Becky Lockhart posted of her challenge right before helpers dumped two water coolers full of crushed ice all over the professionally dressed politician, letting out a few screams when the cold actually hits.

Saying "my check is in the mail" for the American Cancer Society, Lockhart passes along the challenge to U.S. Representative Jason Chaffetz, who was quick to respond.

On his Twitter account, the congressman posted a quick clip of his challenge, saying he'd do anything to help the American Cancer Society. Rep. Chaffetz's ice bath wasn't nearly as long as Speaker Lockhart's, calling it off just a few seconds after it began, saying "Ok, ok, that's enough. Mayor McAdams you're next!"

Salt Lake County Mayor Ben McAdams accepted the challenge. He says in his video posted online, "When I was looking for someone to help me with the challenge, all these rural Utah county commissioners who are here with me in New Orleans for the National Society of Counties convention - they were eager to volunteer. Should I be flattered?"

The group cheered and then the ice came crashing down. The Mayor passed the torch to Lieutenant Spencer Cox. Cox taped his reply from 9,000 feet above sea level at Electric Lake near Skyline Drive in picturesque central Utah.

He said he was answering the challenge "rural Utah style". With a little help from his friends, the Lt. Governor set up a jump that he rides his mountain bike up and right into the frigid mountain lake, that he said recently had snowmelt dumped right into it. After the cold plunge, clad in what appeared to be a wetsuit, a lifejacket and a gopro camera mounted on his helmet, Cox exclaimed "That's cold!"

Cox then passed on his challenge to soccer star Kyle Beckerman. Real Salt Lake officials said they were aware of the challenge and would take care of it, but have been very busy. No word yet on if Beckerman will answer the call, but a number of pro athletes are getting involved with many using the challenge to make a donation to their favorite charity.
By Amy Nay

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Fire fighters are battling a structure fire in Duchesne County Sunday afternoon. The Ross Brothers Feed and Seed store at 35 North Center Street in Myton caught on fire.

Officials told 2News that the fire is limited to one building and no other structures are threatened.The cause of the fire is unknown at this time.

Firefighters are still on the scene and several surrounding houses have been evacuated as a precaution. Officials say residents were able to return to their homes late Sunday night.

Fire crews say the fire ignited around 2 p.m. The blaze destroyed the store, which stood for 70 years.

Photo courtesy: David Chapoose

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) A head-on crash in Logan Canyon sent three people to the hospital Saturday afternoon.
According to the Utah Highway Patrol, around 3 p.m. a 2013 Honda Civic was southbound on Highway 89 in Logan Canyon when the driver crossed into the northbound passing lane and crashed head-on with a pick-up truck.

A 24-year-old male passenger of the Honda was flown in critical condition to Mckay-Dee Hospital. Two other passengers were transported by ambulance to Logan Regional Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

The 19-year-old male driver of the pick-up was treated and released at the scene.

The UHP says that it appears the occupants of the Honda were wearing seat belts, which likely prevented more serious injuries. It is not clear if the occupants of the truck were wearing seat belts.

The crash is still under investigation but UHP believes the driver of the Honda will likely be cited for unsafe passing.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
(KUTV) Salt Lake City police responded to a drive-by shooting near 851 North Morton Drive Saturday night. There was a party going on at the residence when an argument broke out inside the house.

The party was cancelled and when people were leaving the house, a car drove by and opened fire. The host of the party was hit by three bullets, Salt Lake police Lt. Carl Merino said.

The victim was taken to a local hospital by his friends and is listed in stable condition. Police are still looking for the suspects.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.

(KUTV) A man was hospitalized after he was shocked by a power line Saturday night. The incident happened near 5300 South Allendale Drive in Murray.

Investigators say the man was using a metal pole to hang netting above his fruit trees when the rod made contact with a power line.

Bystanders immediately ran to the man's aid and began CPR, according to Deputy Fire Marshall Pat Killion.

Paramedics say the man had burns over his entire body and was in full cardiac arrest when they arrived. The 62-year-old was  rushed to a local hospital in critical condition.

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
TOREZ, Ukraine (AP) — Pro-Moscow rebels piled nearly 200 bodies from the downed Malaysian jetliner into four refrigerated boxcars Sunday in eastern Ukraine, and cranes at the crash scene moved big chunks of the Boeing 777, drawing condemnation from Western leaders that the rebels were tampering with the site.

The United States, meanwhile, presented what it called "powerful" evidence that the rebels shot down the plane with a Russian surface-to-air missile and training. Although other governments have stopped short of accusing Russia of actually causing the crash, the U.S. was ahead of most in pointing blame on Moscow for the downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 that killed all 298 people aboard.

"Russia is supporting these separatists. Russia is arming these separatists. Russia is training these separatists," Secretary of State John Kerry said on CNN's "State of the Union."

Leaders of Britain, France, Germany and Australia spoke to Russian President Vladimir Putin by phone late Sunday, urging him to use his influence on the separatists to ensure the victims could be repatriated and international investigators could have full access to collect evidence. They said European foreign ministers will be meeting in Brussels Tuesday to consider further sanctions on Russia.

More than three days after the jetliner crashed, international investigators still had only limited access to the sprawling fields where the plane fell.

U.N. Security Council diplomats tweeted Sunday that the council would vote Monday afternoon on a draft resolution co-sponsored by Australia, France and Lithuania that would call for full access to the crash site and an independent investigation.

"Investigators must have immediate full access to MH17 crash site, & bodies treated with dignity," British Ambassador Mark Lyall Grant tweeted.

British Prime Minister David Cameron, in a blistering opinion piece for the Sunday Times, said "the growing weight of evidence" suggests the rebels shot down the plane, and if that is so, "this is a direct result of Russia destabilizing a sovereign state, violating its territorial integrity, backing thuggish militias and training and arming them."

Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott, whose country lost 28 citizens in the tragedy, said Putin "said all the right things" during their telephone conversation about ensuring an international investigation into the disaster.

"I'm now going to try to ensure that as far as Australia humanly can, we insist upon these things happening," Abbott told Sydney Radio 2GB on Monday. "The site is being treated more like a garden clean-up than a forensic investigation, and this is completely unacceptable."

Russian officials have blamed Ukraine's government for creating the situation and atmosphere in which the plane was downed, but has yet to directly address the allegations that the separatists were responsible or were operating with technical assistance from Moscow.

The 109-square-kilometer (42-square-mile) crash site, spread out on farmland and villages, looked dramatically different Sunday, a day after armed rebels had stood guard while dozens of bodies lay in the summer heat. The rebels were gone, and 192 bodies were loaded into the refrigerated train cars in the rebel-held town of Torez, 15 kilometers (nine miles) away.

The Ukrainian government said in a statement on its website that a second train with four refrigerator cars had arrived at Torez station.

Emergency workers, who the rebels have allowed to operate under their control, were searching the sprawling fields. Cranes moved pieces of the plane around, apparently to look for more bodies underneath.

By Sunday night, Ukraine's emergency services agency said the total number of bodies found was 251, with dozens of body parts.

Kerry expressed outrage at the "grotesque" behavior of the rebels at the crash scene.

"Drunken separatists are stacking bodies into the back of trucks, removing materials from the site," he told ABC's "This Week." ''On Friday, we had 75 minutes of access to the site; on Saturday, three hours of access. This is an insult to everybody.

Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte, whose country lost 192 citizens on the plane, told a news conference that repatriating the bodies was his "No. 1 priority."

He said all efforts were aimed at getting the train with the bodies to "territory controlled by Ukraine," adding that a Dutch military plane was being sent to Kharkiv to set up a coordination center.

Michael Bociurkiw, a spokesman for the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, said reports from the group's investigators in Ukraine suggest some bodies were incinerated without a trace.

"We're looking at the field where the engines have come down. This was the area which was exposed to the most intense heat. We do not see any bodies here. It appears that some have been vaporized," he said from the crash site.

Rebel leader Alexander Borodai denied the rebels were trying to tamper with evidence, saying the bodies would be turned over to a team of Malaysian experts he was expecting.

A group of investigators that included Malaysian officials was in Kiev, but said they wouldn't go into rebel-held areas until they get better assurances about security. The Ukrainian government, which has responsibility for the investigation, has also asked for help from the International Civil Aviation Organization — a U.N. body — and Eurocontrol, a European air traffic safety organization.

Borodai insisted the rebels have not interfered with the investigation, and said he would turn over the plane's flight data and cockpit voice recorders, or "black boxes," as well.

"The bodies will go nowhere until experts arrive," Borodai said in the rebel-held city of Donetsk.

But it was clear that the rebels were interfering in the investigation.

Lyubov Kudryavets, a worker at the Torez morgue, said that on the evening the plane went down, a resident brought in the bloodied body of a child, about 7 or 8 years old. On Saturday, militiamen came to take away the body away, she said.

"They began to question me: 'Where are the fragments of rocket? Where are the fragments from the plane?'" Kudryavets said. "But I didn't have any wreckage. ... I swear."

Experts said that even if investigators are granted access now, it might be too late.

"Even without any deliberate attempt at a cover-up, the crash site is already compromised in forensic terms," said Keir Giles, an associate fellow at the Chatham House think tank. "A reconstruction of the aircraft fuselage and wings would give a picture on how the missile struck and what kind it was. If any aircraft parts have already been removed ... this compromises the objectivity of the investigation."

On the diplomatic front, Western leaders stepped up the pressure on Putin. The leaders of France, Germany and Britain issued a joint statement demanding that he force the separatists to "finally allow rescuers and investigators to have free and total access to the zone."

Rutte said the Dutch foreign minister was headed to the U.N. to lobby "to further expand the international coalition pushing for quick recovery of the bodies and getting to the bottom of the terrible events on MH17."

In the Netherlands, worshippers at church services prayed for the victims, as anger grew over the rebels' hindering of the investigation.

Silene Fredriksz-Hoogzand, whose son, Bryce, and his girlfriend, Daisy Oehlers, were among those killed, said she was appalled their bodies weren't being handed over.

"Mr. Putin, send my children home," she said, speaking on Sky TV from Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport. "Send them home. Please."

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — It was 45 years ago today that Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans to set foot on the moon.

Armstrong's "one small step ... one giant leap" on July 20, 1969, still stirs hearts.

To mark the anniversary, NASA TV will broadcast restored footage of Armstrong and Aldrin's lunar footsteps tonight, beginning at 10:39 p.m. EDT. That's the exact time Armstrong opened the Eagle's hatch 45 years ago.

This is the first major Apollo 11 anniversary in which the events fall on the same day of the week as they did in 1969.

Tomorrow, NASA will honor Armstrong, who died in 2012, with a ceremony renaming the historic Operations and Checkout Building at Kennedy Space Center. Both Aldrin and Michael Collins, the Apollo 11 command module pilot who orbited the moon, are expected to be there.

In a statement after Armstrong's death, his family suggested another way to pay tribute:

"Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) — The first major ground battle in two weeks of Israel-Hamas fighting exacted a steep price Sunday: It killed 65 Palestinians and 13 Israeli soldiers and forced thousands of terrified Palestinian civilians to flee their neighborhood, reportedly used to launch rockets at Israel and now devastated by the fighting.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the offensive would continue "as long as necessary" to end attacks from Gaza on Israeli civilians.

But Hamas seems defiant, international cease-fire efforts are stalled, and international criticism is becoming more vocal as the death toll among Palestinian civilians rises.

U.N. chief Ban Ki-moon called Israel's latest incursion "atrocious," and said it must do far more to protect civilians.

In Israel, public opinion will struggle to tolerate rising military losses in an open-ended campaign. Already, Sunday's deaths marked the highest number of soldiers killed on a single day since Israel's war in Lebanon in 2006.

The ferocious battle in Gaza City's Shijaiyah neighborhood came on the third day of Israel's ground offensive, which had been preceded by a 10-day air campaign.

In all, at least 432 Palestinians were killed and more than 3,000 wounded in the past two weeks. The overall death toll on the Israeli side rose to 20, including 18 soldiers, along with dozens of wounded troops, during that period.

Sunday's battle began when Israeli troops backed by tanks entered the densely populated Shijaiyah district just after midnight Sunday. They were met by a "huge" level of resistance by Hamas fighters who fired anti-tank missiles, rocket-propelled grenades and automatic weapons from houses and buildings, said Lt. Col. Peter Lerner, an army spokesman.

Residents said they came under intense Israeli tank fire.

"The gate of hell has opened, and shrapnel came through the windows," Shijaiyah resident Jawad Hassanain said by phone. He and his family fled to a nearby building after their house shook from explosions.

After daybreak, the extent of the devastation slowly became apparent: At least 65 Palestinians had been killed and nearly 300 wounded, Gaza health officials said, while dozens of homes badly damaged or destroyed.

Casualties were rushed to Gaza's central Shifa Hospital. Wailing parents, some covered with blood or dust from debris, carried children peppered by shrapnel, and the emergency room quickly overflowed, forcing doctors to treat some patients in a hallway.

During a brief Red Cross-brokered lull later in the day, rescue workers toured the neighborhood to retrieve the dead, pulling bodies from the rubble of homes.

In a last sweep of the area on Sunday afternoon, rescue workers heard the faint voice of a woman in the rubble of a house.

"I'm here with my husband and niece," the woman said, adding that there were also three bodies near her. "I'm here under the shop. God please, I can't breathe."

In the incident witnessed by Associated Press journalists, rescue workers tried to organize a bulldozer, but the situation was deemed too dangerous and the crew left. Later, the rescue workers returned with a bulldozer, after coordination with Israeli forces through the Red Crescent, and pulled the three from the rubble, said Said Hamam, a member of the rescue services.

The 13 Israeli soldiers were killed in several separate incidents in Shijaiya, including gun battles and rocket attacks. In the deadliest, Gaza fighters detonated a bomb near an armored personnel carrier, killing seven soldiers inside, the army said. In another incident, three soldiers were killed when they became trapped in a burning building, it said.

Despite the losses, the army chief, Lt. Gen. Benny Gantz, said Israel intends escalate the operation. Gaza residents received automated phone calls late Sunday, warning them to evacuate refugee camps in the center of the Gaza Strip.

Israel had launched the campaign to hurt Hamas' ability to fire rockets and to destroy tunnels dug by the militants to sneak into Israel to carry out attacks.

Shijaiyah was targeted as a Hamas stronghold and because 8 percent of more than 1,700 rockets fired at Israel since July 8 were launched from there, said Lerner.

The military said that since the beginning of ground operation late last week, it has killed 110 Gaza fighters and targeted more than 1,000 sites linked to militants. Soldiers also exposed 14 tunnels, all interconnected and leading toward Israel, and detonated six of them, including one with a length of 1.2 kilometers and an access point within a house, the army said.

"It's like the Underground, the Metro or the subway," said Lerner, the army spokesman, referring to the tunnel system.

The first days of the current ground offensive were in marked contrast to Israel's last major invasion of Gaza in January 2009, known in Israel as Cast Lead, when Hamas fighters rarely engaged Israeli forces.

Now, Gaza's militants seem better armed, including with anti-tank rockets.

"I see an escalation in weaponry," Amos Yadlin, a former Israeli military intelligence chief, told Israel TV's Channel 10. "This isn't the same weaponry as in Cast Lead."

Netanyahu said in nationally televised comments Sunday that the ground campaign is vital to Israel's security because the tunnels could be used for "mega terror attacks and kidnappings," but acknowledged the operation is "full of risks."

Speaking earlier to CNN, Netanyahu said the ultimate goal is to "restore a sustainable quiet" for Israel's citizens. Once that is achieved, he said he hopes to enlist the international community "to demilitarize Gaza," but did not explain what that would entail.

Asked about the mounting number of dead and wounded among Palestinians, he said Israel is only targeting militants.

"All civilian casualties are unintended by us, but intended by Hamas. They want to pile up as many civilian dead as they can. ... It's gruesome," Netanyahu said. "They use telegenically dead Palestinians for their cause. They want the more dead the better."

Meanwhile, a speedy cease-fire seems elusive, as the U.S. and some of the regional powers disagree on how to resolve the Israel-Hamas conflict.

Hamas rejected Egypt's proposal last week that both sides halt fire and then discuss a possible easing of the Gaza border blockade, enforced by Israel and Egypt since Hamas seized Gaza in 2007.

For Hamas, easing the blockade is key to survival, after an intensified border closure of Gaza by Egypt in the past year drove the movement into a crippling financial crisis. Hamas has insisted on guarantees concerning the blockade before it stops fighting and has demanded that others, including Qatar, join Egypt as a mediator.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry sided with Israel and Egypt on Sunday, saying giving in to Hamas' conditions for a cease-fire would mean rewarding terrorism. Kerry told NBC's "Meet The Press" that he will head to the Middle East in coming days to help with cease-fire efforts. He said Israel "has every right in the world to defend itself" from attacks by Hamas militants in Gaza.

Qatar is seen as more sympathetic to Hamas.

Qatari Foreign Minister Khalid al-Attiya said after a meeting with U.N. chief Ban Ki-moon that it is not important which country achieves the terms of a cease-fire so long as justice is achieved.

"We condemn the acts of aggression that Israel has carried out against the Palestinian people, and most recently the massacre of Shijaiyah today in which most of those killed were children," said al-Attiya.

Ban's had harsh words for Israel's military operation, while reiterating his call for an immediate cease-fire.

"While I was en route to Doha, dozens more civilians, including children, have been killed in Israeli military strikes in the Shijaiyah neighborhood in Gaza," he said.

"I condemn this atrocious action. Israel must exercise maximum restraint and do far more to protect civilians," he said.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(KUTV) Officers have recovered a total of ten dead horses on a Magna property.

Investigators are looking into the possibility that the horses died of dehydration in the July heat.

Neighbors, who say the animals' water troughs have been dry for days, called to report seeing the dying and already dead horses on Friday afternoon. Officials confirmed they did not find a water source for the animals nearby.

Officers recovered the bodies of ten horses in all and found one horse fighting for its life. The Salt Lake County Mounted Posse team of volunteers helps detectives search for more animals.

"What they're doing is making sure there aren't additional animals distressed or deceased," said Mike Reberg, division director of Salt Lake County Animal Services.

Necropsies performed in Logan will help determine whether the horses died from abuse, neglect, disease or any other cause, Reberg said.

"There's a very thorough investigation going on right now," Reberg said. "We're primarily trying to understand the time of death and what these horses died from."

The owner of the animals is being cooperative with investigators, Reberg said. He owns several other horses and cattle. Detectives are also questioning his employee who helps care for the animals.

If criminal charges are filed, they could range from misdemeanors to felonies, Reberg said.

A neighbor who asked not to be identified said he smelled the dead animals for days but didn't realize what the odor was.

"These guys were up here for awhile and we could smell them dead for a week or so," said the neighbor who also owns horses. "These horses were out of water for at least ten days."

Necropsy results are expected within a couple days. If samples must be sent to a lab, the results could take weeks.

The sick horse was taken to veterinarian and is improving. He has been eating, drinking and interacting with other animals, Reberg said.

By Christine L. McCarthy

(Copyright 2014 Sinclair Broadcasting Group.)

Follow us on Twitter @KUTV2News and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.

Featured on KUTV

Quick Links Mentioned On 2News

Click For More Links
Web Poll

News Photo Gallery - View More

Weather Photo Gallery - View More

Advertise with us!

Trending on Social Media

Sponsored content


Pay It Forward
Fresh Living
Family Matters
Road Trippin
Hooked On Utah

Advertise with us!