As aired on February 15, 2012
Recipe courtesy of Karen Peterson
1 lb. Italian bulk sausage, browned
1 red pepper, diced
1 C. diced mushrooms (optional)
1 26-oz. can spaghetti sauce
1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes
30 spinach leaves (can use more or less)
1 16-oz. container cottage cheese
12 uncooked whole-wheat lasagna
1 C. mozzarella cheese
1/3 C. Parmesan cheese
1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown and drain sausage. Turn
heat off and stir in red pepper, mushrooms, spaghetti sauce, tomatoes, and
2. In a medium bowl, stir egg into the cottage cheese; whisk to combine.
Add cottage cheese mixture to skillet.
3. Using a ladle, spoon about 1/2 C. sauce into bottom of slow-cooker.
3 noodles on top, breaking them in half if needed. Continue to layer sauce
and noodles, ending with a layer of sauce.
4. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
5. Cover and cook on LOW for 4¬6 hours or on HIGH for 2¬3 hours.