As Aired On October 19, 2012
Recipe Courtesy Si Foster www.abountifulkitchen.com
Makes 12-16 muffinsIngredients:
1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter, softened
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup apple cider
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup peeled, cored and chopped Granny Smith apple
Cinnamon and sugar for sprinkling Instructions:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl (or the bowl of an electric stand mixer), beat
together the butter, yogurt and sugars until the mixture is light and fluffy.
4. Add the eggs and beat well.
5. In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cinnamon,
nutmeg, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the batter. Mix until just combined. It's ok if there are a few dry spots. Mix in the applesauce. Stir in the apple cider and vanilla. Gently fold the apples into the muffin batter.
6. Divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups (fill about 1/2 to 2/3 full - use another muffin tin if you have extra batter). Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
7. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (watch the muffins carefully since each oven may vary slightly in temperature affecting exact baking time).
8. Let the muffins rest in the pan for
about 5 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool