Tuesday, June 18 2013, 10:06 AM MDT
Angel Food Cake with Lemon and Poppy Seeds and Berries
As aired on March 14, 2013
Recipe courtesy of Victoria Topham, Pinion Market
1 C Cake Flour
1 2/3 C Granulated Sugar (separated)
¼ t Table Salt
2 C Egg Whites (from about 15 large eggs)
1 T Fresh Lemon Juice
1 T Lemon Zest
2 t Vanilla Extract
2 t Cream of Tartar
Glaze and Berry Ingredients:
2 C Powdered Sugar
3 T Fresh Lemon Juice
1 T Rum (optional)
2 C Mixed Berries
2 T Granulated Sugar
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Sift together flour, 2/3 C sugar and salt. Set Aside.
3) In a large bowl, beat egg whites, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla until frothy using an electric mixer on medium speed.
4) Add the cream of tartar (it stabilizes the whites) and continue beating until whites are soft and fluffy. This should take about 3 minutes.
5) Gradually add 1 C sugar. Beat 4-5 minutes until whites are shiny and hold a firm peak when whisk is lifted out.
6) Sift ½ flour/sugar mixture over beaten whites to prevent clumping. Using a wire whisk, blend in flour mixture taking care not to deflate whites.
7) Add remaining flour and blend.
8) Fold in 2T poppy seeds.
9) Pour batter into UNGREASED 10” tube pan. Run a spatula through the batter to remove large air pockets.
10) Bake 50 -55 minutes until a skewer comes out clean and top of cake is golden brown.
11) Immediately invert baked cake over a bottle; cool completely before removing. To unmold, run a thin knife along the edge of the pan and push up on the bottom of the pan. Place cake bottom side up on serving plate and loosen the pan bottom with the knife. Carefully remove bottom and turn cake right side up.
12) In a small mixing bowl combine powdered sugar, lemon juice and rum (if using). Mix to combine. Drizzle glaze over top of cooled cake.
13) Combine the sugar and berries in a large bowl. Toss gently and set aside.
14) The best way to cut this cake is with a sharp serrated knife. Use slight back and forth sawing motions as you cut down. Take care not to press down to hard while cutting to avoid squashing the cake.
15) Plate and serve the cake: Cut cake and plate with berries on the side.