Tuesday, June 18 2013, 09:06 AM MDT
'Fried' Chicken Salad
As aired on April 25, 2013
Recipe courtesy of Chef Victoria Topham, Pinion Market & Café
3 T Kosher Salt
3 T Brown Sugar
3 C Hot tap water
4 C Ice cubes
2 lbs. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
2 C Unbleached white flour
2 C Whole wheat flour
1 T Kosher salt
2 T Black Pepper
1 T Smoked Paprika
1 t Cayenne Pepper
1 C Egg whites
1 C Nonfat Buttermilk
3 T Vegetable Oil
½ lb. Green Beans, trimmed and blanched
¼ lb. Grape Tomatoes, halved
¼ Red Onion,slivered
4 C Baby greens, washed and well drained
Low fat Buttermilk Ranch Vinaigrette. See recipe on Pinon's facebook page
1) Dissolve kosher salt, brown sugar and hot water in large bowl.
2) Add ice cubes to cool mixture to 40° or lower.
3) Add chicken and refrigerate for 1 -1 ½ hours.
4) Preheat oven to 400° F.
5) Combine breading ingredients in bowl and stir well to combine. Set aside.
6) Beat egg whites, using an electric mixer, until soft peaks form.
7) Stir in buttermilk and set aside.
8) Remove chicken from brine and pat dry with paper toweling.
9) Dip chicken in flour mixture.
10) Shake off excess and dip into egg white buttermilk mixture.
11) Finally, dip back into the seasoned flour mixture and coat well. Set coated chicken on a baking sheet.
12) When all pieces have been coated, heat oil in oven safe skillet on medium high heat until hot.
13) Place coated chicken pieces into hot oil and then place pan in preheated oven.
14) Roast for 20 minutes.
15) Remove pan from oven and carefully turn pieces over. You may need to add a little more oil to pan if chicken sticks.
16) Return to the oven and roast 20 minutes longer or until internal temperature reaches 160° - 165°.
17) Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes.