Monday, January 6 2014, 11:41 AM MST
The Food Nanny's Sweet and Sour Egg Rolls
As Aired on January 1, 2013
Recipe Courtesy of The Food Nanny
¾ cup sugar
2 Tablespoons corn starch
½ cup white vinegar
½ cup water
½ cup pineapple juice
1½ teaspoons soy sauce
For the Egg Rolls:
1 1 lb. package egg roll wraps. (A thin square sheet of dough in the vegetable section at your grocery store.)
4 small boneless/skinless
chicken breasts, diced
½ yellow onion, minced
1 Tablespoon olive oil
Ground black pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 14 oz. bags coleslaw - produce section of your store. (Shredded cabbage and carrots combined)
½ cup teriyaki sauce
¼ cup soy sauce
Sunflower oil or canola oil for frying
Prepare the sauce first. In a small saucepan mix the sugar and corn starch. Add the vinegar, water,
pineapple juice and soy sauce. Stir to combine and bring to a boil over medium high heat until thickened. Remove from heat. Cover to keep warm.
Prepare the Egg Rolls:
1. In a large soup pot, heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Sauté diced chicken and minced onion until chicken is cooked and the onion is tender.
2. Season with coarse salt and ground black pepper to taste. Add minced garlic and cook for 1 min. Add 2 bags of coleslaw, teriyaki sauce and soy sauce. Mix all together. Cover and simmer for 5 to 7 min. Drain off and discard most of the juice through a strainer. Let the filling cool down a bit.
3. One at a time put 3 Tablespoons mixture onto each wrap. Roll as directed on the package. Lay on wax paper or foil until ready to fry.
4. Add ¼ inch oil to your frying pan. Fry the rolls when the oil temperature reaches 350° or fry over low to medium heat until the rolls are light brown.
5. Lay on paper towels to remove excess oil. Place on a platter. Serve immediately with warm sauce.