Thursday, February 13 2014, 01:30 PM MST
Sweetheart Meringues with Yogurt Cream and Strawberries
As Aired on February 13, 2014
Recipe Courtesy Chef Victoria Topham, Petite Feast
4 egg whites
½ tsp cream of tartar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
¾ cup heavy cream
¼ cup non-fat Greek yogurt
¼ cup sugar
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups fresh strawberries
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 257 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar for the meringue. Gradually add the sugar when the whites are at a soft peak stage. Add vanilla. Continue beating until the meringue is stiff and shiny. To test, lift out the beaters to see if the meringue leaves behind a sturdy peak. If it deflates or spreads out, continue beating. This can take up to 5 minutes or more.
3. Drop the meringue in mounds on the baking sheet. Using the back of a spoon, make an indentation in the center of each mound to form a bowl for the berries. Bake for 45 - 50 minutes. Turn off oven and COMPLETELY cool meringues in the oven for 1 hour. Remove from oven and set aside. 4. Meringues may be prepared 1 day ahead and stored in an airtight container.
5. Hull and cut strawberries. Combine with sugar and fresh lemon juice. Allow flavors to combine for 10 minutes
6. Combine heavy cream, non-fat yogurt, vanilla and sugar in bowl of electric mixer. Beat until a little stiffer than soft peak.
7. 15 minutes before serving, spoon cream yogurt mixture into prepared meringue shell. Right before serving, top with berries and a dusting of powdered sugar. Serve dessert and KISS YOUR SWEETHEART