Monday, March 10 2014, 08:26 AM MDT
Watermelon and Shrimp Salad
As Aired on March 6, 2014
Recipe Courtesy Eric Holmes, Red Rock Brewing Company
4 Cups light olive oil
2 Cups apple cider vinegar
2 Cups fresh lime juice
1 ¼ Cups brown sugar
½ tsp cayenne pepper
1 Cup Dijon mustard
2 oz minced shallot
½ tsp black pepper coarse
1 Cup Roses lime juice
Lime zest from 3 limes
1. Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk until combined.
Red chile rub
1 Cup lime juice
8 Tbs Chile powder
8 Tbs brown sugar
2 Tbs crushed red pepper
2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbs minced garlic
1 bunch fresh cilantro
½ lb soft butter
2 Tbs cumin
½ Cup light olive oil
1. combine all ingredients in a food processer and blend until a smooth paste is formed.
1. put onto a skewer five large peeled and deveined shrimp 16/20 size.
2. Season shrimp with salt and pepper and cook on a high temp grill while brushing both sides with chile rub. Cook for about 1 ½ to 2 minutes on each side allowing for the rub to caramelize a b
3. On a large round plate place 4-5 nice slices of watermelon about ½ inch thickness fanned out. On the opposite side of the melon slices place a mound of about 1 ½ cups baby arugula. Slice jalapeno as thin as possible on a 45 degree angle and put one slice on each melon slice in the middle for contrast.
4. While shrimp is grilling cook 2-3 scallions on same grill that have been coated with light olive oil and salt and pepper till just marked then set aside.
5. Dress greens and watermelon with about 1.5 oz of lime vinaigrette.
6. Sprinkle crumbled feta over salad lightly only about a Tbs total.
7. Cut scallions into 1 inch pieces and place few pieces over salad.
8. Remove shrimp from skewer and fan out between melon slices and greens.