As aired on April 25, 2012
Recipe courtesy of Cookin' Canuck. Salad Ingredients:
1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup water
3/4 lb. large raw shrimp, peeled
1 medium tomato , cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 small avocado, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 oz. Myzithra (or feta) cheese, crumbledDressing Ingredients:
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
3/4 tsp honey
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
4 large Boston lettuce leavesSalad Directions:
1) In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse quinoa well and drain.
2) In a medium pot, combine quinoa and water. Bring to a boil, then cover and turn heat to low.
3) Cook until all the water is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat, fluff the quinoa and transfer to a cookie sheet, spreading the quinoa in a thin layer, to cool.
4) Set a large saucepan of lightly salted water over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil.
5) Add shrimp and cook until shrimp turn pink, 45 seconds to 1 minute.
6) Drain and immediately plunge the shrimp into ice water to stop the shrimp from cooking further.
7) In a medium bowl, mix together quinoa, shrimp, tomatoes and avocado.Dressing Directions:
1) Whisk together lemon juice, honey, oregano, salt and pepper.
2) Slowly whisk in olive oil.
3) Toss the dressing with the quinoa mixture. Gently stir in Myzithra (or feta) cheese.
4) Divide the quinoa salad between 4 Boston lettuce leaves, using the lettuce as a bowl. Serve.
For more tips, just visit their website at www.cookincanuck.com
(Copyright 2012 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)