Tuesday, June 18 2013, 09:06 AM MDT
Black Bean Hummus
As aired on April 26, 2012
Recipe courtesy of Whole Foods Market
Serve this Mexican-inspired hummus with raw veggies or tortilla chips for dipping, or spread it on sandwiches and wraps, too.
Make sure to drain the black beans well, otherwise the hummus may be too thin.
2 cups no-salt-added cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1/4 cup tahini
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons reduced-sodium tamari
1 teaspoon ume vinegar or 2 teaspoons lemon juice (or to taste)
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1) Combine black beans, garlic, tahini, cumin, water, tamari and vinegar in a food processor.
2) Pulse until smooth and all ingredients are combined.
3) Transfer to a serving bowl, fold in cilantro and serve.
Cream Cheese & Cashew Nut Butter
Smooth cashew butter blended with softened cream cheese and spiced with a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg makes a great dip for fresh fruit.
Additional flavors such as vanilla, honey or other favorite spices can be added easily.
Serve with apples, pears, strawberries, jicama, baby carrots, orange sections, grapes, cucumbers, or celery.
1 (8-ounce) package soft cream cheese spread, softened
1/2 cup smooth cashew nut butter
2 tablespoons agave nectar (optional)
Cinnamon and/or nutmeg to taste
2) Blend all ingredients together.
2) Transfer to a bowl and serve with fruits or vegetables of your choice.
Serves 6 to 8
(Copyright 2012 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)