Tuesday, June 18 2013, 11:48 AM MDT
Crunchy Chicken with Oven Roasted Broccoli
As Aired On August 9, 2012
Recipe courtesy Chef Bryan Woolley
2 1/2-to-3-pound whole chicken
NOTE: you can save time by using boneless, skinless chicken breast halves but using the whole chicken and quartering and skinning yourself can save some money. But be sure you don't mind eating off of bones if you use the whole chicken.
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 cups multigrain cereal flakes, crushed
1/4 teaspoon each salt and black pepper
1. Heat oven to 400° F. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Remove giblets and neck and discard. Quarter chicken and remove and discard skin.
2. In a medium bowl, toss the chicken and mustard to coat (If you’re using chicken breasts, just rinse and pat dry).
3. In a large bowl, mix the crushed cerea,l and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Coat the chicken with the cereal mixture and bake on a baking sheet until golden and cooked through, 45 to 50 minutes.
Oven Roasted Broccoli Ingredients
1 pound fresh broccoli crowns, rinsed and trimmed
1 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic or 2 teaspoons minced from jar
2 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons chopped unsalted unoiled nuts (almonds, pecans or walnuts suggested - whatever is on sale will work)
1. Heat oven to 400° F (or can use same oven as chicken). Rinse broccoli, trim stalks into 1/8 inch-thick chunks and cut florets into bit sized pieces. Place in a mixing bowl and toss with soy sauce, oil, pepper, and garlic.
2. Sprinkle the chopped nuts evenly in to a 9x13 inch casserole dish. Place in the oven 3-4 minutes until lightly toasted. Remove from oven and toss in to broccoli mixture.
3. Transfer broccoli mixture to casserole dish and roast 10-12 minutes until broccoli is tender. Serve warm.