As aired on January 30, 2012
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Bryan Woolley
1 3/4 cups super fine sugar (see below)
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup cake flour, sifted
12 egg whites
1/3 cup hot water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1 1/2 tsp cream of tartarDirections:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree's.
2. Pour the sugar into the bowl of your food processor and process for about 2 minutes.
3. Whisk together half of the super fine sugar with the cake flour and salt in a bowl and set aside until ready to use.
4. Place the egg whites, hot water, and cream of tartar into a mixing bowl. Use the whisk attachment and whisk ingredients together by hand before attaching it to the machine. Make sure cream of tartar is well incorporated with the egg whites before continuing.
5. Once cream of tartar is well incorporated with the egg whites, add the vanilla almond extract. Begin to whip egg whites on medium speed while gradually adding the super fine sugar. Whip to medium peaks.
6. Divide flour mixture in two. Sift half of the flour on top of the whipped egg whites and using a spatula, fold into the whipped egg whites. Repeat with the remaining flour mixture.
7. Carefully spoon newly created batter into an angel food cake pan (ungreased) and place in the oven.
8. Bake cake for about 35 - 40 minutes or until done. Cake will be a golden brown color.
9. Serve with freshly chopped strawberries and ganache.Ganache:
1 cup semi sweet chocolate
1/2 cup heavy creamGanache Directions:
1. Heat heavy cream to boiling.
2. Pour cream into chocolate and stir to incorporate ingredients.