Friday, September 27 2013, 06:40 PM MDT
Chicken and Dumplings
As aired on September 27, 2013
Recipe courtesy of Chef Bryan Woolley
2 whole chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
1 large onion minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 cups milk
2 cups chicken stock
1 tbsp dried sage
1 10-ounce package frozen peas and carrots
1/4 cup flour
4 tbsp butter
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups biscuit mix
1/2 cup milk (plus more if needed)
1 tablespoon chopped chives
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
1. Heat a large skillet on the stove and add just enough oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan.
2. Add the chicken pieces and sauté until completely cooked.
3. Add to the cooked chicken pieces, onion, garlic, mushrooms, milk, chicken stock and sage. Bring to a simmer, cover and allow to cook for about 10 minutes.
4. Add the frozen peas and carrots. Cover and continue cooking for about 10 minutes.
5. In a separate pan, melt the butter and add the flour to the butter. Cook mixture for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and and whisk the roux into the chicken and bring to a boil. Cook the chicken gravy for about 2 minutes.
6. Meanwhile…Combine the biscuit mix, milk, egg, chopped chives, salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix together.
7. Remove the cover from your skillet and spoon the biscuit batter (dumplings) into the simmering chicken and sage gravy.
8. Once the dumplings are all spooned on top of the chicken, cover the pan and continuing cooking (steaming) for about 10 minutes or until the dumplings are cooked through.
9. Serve and Enjoy!
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp Baking Powder
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup lard, shortening, or butter
1. Combine all dry ingredients into a bowl and mix together.
2. Cut cold fat into dry ingredients until it resembles corn meal