Wednesday, October 23 2013, 06:20 PM MDT
Healthy Fall Dinner
As Aired on October 23, 2013
Recipe Courtesy Chef Kimberly Larsen, Harmons Bangerter Crossing
Cilantro Mint Grilled Steak
1 1/2 lbs. steak of choice
(Flank steak, Delmonico or Sirloin)
2 bunches cilantro, tops and leaves
1/4 cup mint leaves
1 small shallot, peeled
3 cloves garlic
2 limes, juice & zest
2 tablespoons honey wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon coriander
2 teaspoons chipotle, canned
1. Add all ingredients (except steak) into food processor or blender and purée until smooth.
2. Place steaks into plastic bag.
3. Add enough marinade to coat.
4. Marinate steaks for 30-60 minutes.
5. Heat grill to medium high heat.
6. Cook steaks on each side for 3-4 minutes, depending on cut, thickness and desired temperature.
2 cups unsalted stock, beef chicken or veg
1 1/4 cup black rice
1 tablespoon butter
1 small onion, small dice
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1 tablespoon cumin
1. In medium saucepan, melt butter until it starts to foam slightly.
2. Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring often.
3. Stir in garlic, sweet paprika and cumin to the onions.
4. Sauté for 1 minute.
5. Add black rice, stirring and toasting for 2 minutes.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Add stock to saucepan stirring.
8. Bring to a light boil.
9. Reduce heat to med-low.
10. Cover cook for 18-22 minutes, or time recommended on rice package.
11. Remove from heat.
12. Let stand for 3 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
1 large sweet potato, orange flesh
1 large sweet potato, white flesh
2 cloves garlic minced
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Place baking pan into oven and heat for 5 minutes.
3. Peel and dice sweet potatoes.
4. Toss with garlic, coconut oil, salt and pepper.
5. Carefully pour potatoes onto heated cookie sheet.
6. Spread onto a single layer.
7. Roast for 12-16 minutes or until brown in edges, tossing and turning twice during cooking process.
8. Fold rice and sweet potato together.
9. Garnish fresh cilantro and mint.
10. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Blood Orange & Arugula Salad
Arugula for four
2 blood oranges, pieced
1 blood orange, juice & zest
1 lime, juice & zest
Salt & pepper
Toss arugula and oranges with blood orange and lime juice. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
(Copyright 2013 Sinclair Broadcasting Group)