As aired on March 11, 2012
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Bryan Woolley
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bit size cubesChicken Marinade Ingredients:
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tsp water
1 tbsp cornstarchSauce Ingredients:
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp chicken broth
1 tbsp sugar
½ tsp salt
½ tsp sesame seed oil
1 tsp corn starch
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp minced jalapeño pepper or 4-5 dried red peppers
½ cup peanuts (unsalted works best)
Oil for deep fryingDirections:
1. In a large bowl combine chicken marinade ingredients and chicken. Allow to marinade for about an hour.
2. In a separate bowl combine ingredients for the sauce soy sauce, rice vinegar, chicken broth, sugar, salt, sesame seed oil, corn starch and minced garlic. Set aside until ready to use.
3. Heat about 2 cups of oil to 370 degree’s in a large wok and deep fry chicken until golden and thoroughly cooked through. I like to do it in 3 batches. Set chicken on paper towels to drain and set aside.
4. Remove all but about 2 tbsp of oil from the wok.
5. Add jalapeño’s or dried red peppers and peanuts. Sauté for just a few seconds.
6. Quickly stir back up the sauce mixture and add it to the hot wok. It will thicken up pretty quick. Add the cooked chicken and sauté for about 1 minute to thoroughly cook out the starch flavor. Be careful not to burn the sauce.
7. Serve over rice and enjoy!